2018 Insights-Start planning now!

Yes, there were two sessions where users presented their custom solutions. After the second session, the judges voted on the best and that was announced later in the week. Two of the presenters were not able to be present and used Webex to show their presentations. (One of the WebEx presentations actually won.)

Mark W.

2 Likes

unrelated, that effort began far before this was up and running.

Same struggle for me too.

If we can push getting a few technical session, in my opinion, it would be better than an EPCOR sales pitch for 40 minutes of the out of box product. I get it though, each customers needs are different, the session have to be vanilla.

There is a void of technical tracks. We have an opportunity to fill that void. This is the reason why the Customization to the MAX sessions are packed, usually by the same folks year after year.

2 Likes

The lack of tech content is heard and they made the mistake of asking me for suggestions. I donā€™t think they expected me to give them a dozen ideas in a minute.
Awaiting your ideasā€¦ let me hear them!

1 Like

For me, I wish Customization to the MAX, was really, to the MAX. It was kind of elementary even for a guy who had less than 6 months experience in it. When I heard ā€œmaxā€ and saw it was capitalized, I had different expectations :slight_smile:

Also Iā€™m dying for more info on EpiBinding scripting. Cool, handy use cases.

Thatā€™s an excellent point, Ken, and one that begs a question. Last year, after the passing of Mike England and with the impending demise of the Vantage Yahoo group, was any consideration given to the possibility of joining forces with the EUG so that all Epicor ERP users could brainstorm and mindshare within one community/forum?

Regards,
Scott

Not to get off topic @ScottLepley but what would the benefit of making this FREE marvelous technical resource under the umbrella of a pay service? Most here already have EUG accounts and those who donā€™t probably have a good reason for not doing so.

2 Likes

So refactor the ā€˜Customization To Maxā€™ into an overview and some drill down areas?

I know itā€™s a tough task to drill into details on this stuff because itā€™s really a MASSIVE amount of info. But looking back over the past year, I wish I would have known (instead of figuring out) things like:

• Basic adapter usage
  • Manipulating adapter data - what to and not to do - caveats etc
  • Whereclauses (for example - your HAVE to use the proper keys)
  • NamedSearches
  • GetList vs GetRows
  • Using LaunchFormOptions
  • What is an oTrans? What can it do?
  • Using typed datasets
  • Foreign Key Views in lieu of adapters
  • EpiBinding scripting\uses
  • BOReader!
  • More adavanced BPM stuff - subqueries, using tools like FillByQuery, etc
  • Discussion about adding and using custom fields\tables
  • Determining when to customize vs BPM
  • Maybe even a whole course on customization bugs and how to avoid\get around them (in lieu of fixing said bugs haha)
  • Give everyone a piece of paper at start and have them list the biggest complaint\issue and their biggest feature request
  • A course where they give me a free SDK license so I can modify the customization toolset :smiley:
3 Likes

These all sound cool to me.

I am pushing to have more customers sessions vs. Epicor sessions. Otherwise the conference is a big cattle herd. After a few, folks start to lose interest in attending, unless they are going to see the new features of their upgrade. Seeing how others use the software is a big draw for me. My boss is like we can always get our CAM to give a demo on xyz, do you really need to go? I need more selling points!!!

Get the vocal customer to be apart of the change.

A few more for me technically.
Rest framework
Common BPM error remedies (this record is already locked by another user)
Automation of BOM changes
Automation of PO Process
Automation of Shipping/Receiving
Automation of Reports

BO; what does what when to copy the trace log when not to
understanding the oTrans Events on the client
Memory Errors

To be fair though Chris, you are an experienced programmer, so you donā€™t just have 6 months experience, you are much more advanced than that. I think that Epicorā€™s business model is to try to maximize the amount of customization that a customer can do without programming, because thatā€™s a selling point to smaller (read more) businesses that donā€™t have software developers on staff. Plus custom code is harder for them to support with their rapid upgrade business model.

I think that the ranges (and separation) of classes from beginner through expert, and with and without custom coding are some of the strongest attributes of insights and that should be continued. I wouldnā€™t want too many lower level classes sacrificed for high level classes because if I want to get other people in my company involved and excited about Epicor at insights, classes over their heads is going to put them to sleep so fast they might as well have stayed home. And thus jeopardizing my ability to go because if I was the only one that saw value in it, I would be over ruled.

steps off soap box

Anyways, I really want to go again in 2018ā€¦

2 Likes

I so agree. These are the essential must know topics.

Ken, I like the process centric viewpoint of things. Use all the tools of the framework and tech to solve those domains. Thanks!

PD - We had 3 courses on REST for last Insights - I taught two of them. What more did you want or just a repeat performance?

I didnā€™t make it to a REST Class last year. This year I will be hitting one or two up. So I hope they will be offered again.

There is a call for speakers. any hints on how to make my 500 words sound awesome/

https://www.epicor.com/customers/insights/call-for-speakers.aspx

1 Like

Sorry, no clue. If I did, Iā€™d probably get more courses I pitch in as well :wink:

Looking for flights already, I might even stretch to staying there instead of Air BnB. I had a fantastic time last year and whilst the jet lag nearly killed me, I got a lot out of it.

2 Likes

Any idea when the course schedule will be posted? Itā€™s hard to plan without knowing if thereā€™s something you want to do on Sunday or Monday.

Bart, Iā€™d love to see a repeat of your extended education class on REST as
I was in another class at the time.

As you can see from my posts here, I roll my face on the keyboard enough to get
some code to work when needed (Thank god for this site and Google searches
and friends) but like others here, Iā€™m not a coder. Classes on using the
system tools without --or with minimal-- coding is what Iā€™d look for most.
Especially sessions with new ā€œuse casesā€

• ā€œBest Practices for using Data vs Method BPMs and Overview of the BPM
    Workflow Designerā€ Discuss when to use a Data vs Method BPM and why. How
    to troubleshoot when designing a BPM, especially looping issues. Then dive into the
    Designer to discuss the widgits. Examples: explore the various options under the
    Condition widget (some of them get confusing sometimes) ie
    ā€œthe Added/Deleted/Updated/Changed/Allā€ rows options. Plus other widgets
    like a few examples of how to use ā€œSet by Queryā€ or ā€œUpdate Table By Queryā€
    widget would be great. Review the options in the Auto Print widget.

• Iā€™d like to see a lab on setting up DMT for Import/Export via
    PowerShell. I know there is a GitHub on this but an interactive class for
    people would be nice plus some ā€œDoā€™s and Donā€™tā€™sā€ from users whoā€™ve done
    this.

Then a few business case classes. I can think of some things we had, or are
having to, deal with which canā€™t be that unique. I know Iā€™ve had to deal
with each of these in both companies Iā€™ve worked for that used Epicor:

• International shipping (NAFTA): How to setup Broker fields - UD fields
    & BPMs to get broker data from Customer to Shipping forms. Any company
    that ships to Canada/Mexico must find some way to deal with this.

• Requisitions Request/Approved Auto-Email BPMs - We setup BPMs to auto
    email to the Approval / Purchasing person when a new requisition is
    entered/approved.

• UCC128 labeling multiple boxes/package per pallet where each package
    needs itā€™s own unique UCC128 serial # label with X details demanded by
    customers. Example of ā€œX detailsā€ A: Supplierā€™s Name and Address B:
    Destination -Where merchandise is being shipped to C: Barcode -Carrier
    information - as specified by transportation company moving shipment D:
    Carrier Name, tracking numbers (PRO#, Bill of Lading, AWB, etc.) E: PO
    number Readable number required, barcode optional below PO number F:
    Facility number in bar code form (UD field) G: Readable facility number -
    7 digit numeric H: SSCC 18 digit serial shipping container code - with