[6.10] Terminal Server / Thin Client Printer Issue

Todd,

If they are all loggin on to the Term Server with the same username and that you are using roaming profiles, it would be possible that the last "shop" user logged in will have the default printer for the entire group of "shop" users.

You may need to set up new users in AD so that the default printer can be changed between thin client stations.

Jeff

--- In vantage@yahoogroups.com, Todd Caughey <caugheyt@...> wrote:
>
> Well, I checked this really well first thing to make sure there were none sharing an IP address with anything else. The Wyse thin clients have a reset to EPROM feature on reboot so once things are set they go back to the last saved setup so users can’t make changes (or install viruses).
>
> I did notice in the printer ports lists on the server when examining the printers that all the thin clients printer ports were the IP address followed by PRN2 which I am not sure what is being referred to. Other printers (such as mine at my desk) when I remote into the server show as different PRN numbers.
>
> I really suspect the root of the issue is somewhere in the thin clients logging into the network (with local printer attached) and then an RDP session to the server where Vantage data collection runs. The remote sessions seem to see all the other TS session printers as available ports and not just their own local printer. Another unconfirmed possibility is that the if the local printer has a problem (out of paper, jam, etc..) it tries to print somewhere else â€" maybe explaining why this does not happen all the time or to everyone.
>
> Thanks,
> -Todd
>
>
>
> From: vantage@yahoogroups.com [mailto:vantage@yahoogroups.com] On Behalf Of Robert Brown
> Sent: Wednesday, May 12, 2010 2:13 AM
> To: vantage@yahoogroups.com
> Subject: Re: [Vantage] [6.10] Terminal Server / Thin Client Printer Issue
>
>
>
> NO chance these 'local' printers became shared/floating address (versus positively local or at least shared/fixed IP) as a 'surprise' result of an upgrade or maintenance done recently (or tinkering by a user)?
>
> Rob
>
> ________________________________
> From: Todd Caughey <caugheyt@...<mailto:caugheyt%40harveyvogel.com>>
> To: "vantage@yahoogroups.com<mailto:vantage%40yahoogroups.com>" <vantage@yahoogroups.com<mailto:vantage%40yahoogroups.com>>
> Sent: Tue, May 11, 2010 2:52:06 PM
> Subject: [Vantage] [6.10] Terminal Server / Thin Client Printer Issue
>
>
> This is really strange. I have 10 Wyse thin clients running RDP sessions from a server with Terminal Server Manager. Each as a local USB attached LaserJet printer for printing movement tags from shop floor data collection (Vantage 6.10). None of the printers are shared and each thin client has only the one printer installed.
>
> People in the plant are reporting that their WIP tags (sheets really) are not only never printing on their local printer but actually popping up at other printers. I would not possibly know where to begin to make this happen if I wanted to - let alone stop it. And it is not consistent.. . one person prints OK and another never. All are logged in as user "shop" so only difference is the employee ID. I have not seen it personally but our Director of Operations swears it is happening even though I am suspecting people are making up an excuse for not getting proper paperwork.
>
> Anyone have any idea if this could be real or what could cause this? Is there some feature in Terminal Services that can allow this?
>
> Thanks,
> Todd Caughey
> Harvey Vogel Mfg. Co.
>
> [Non-text portions of this message have been removed]
>
>
>
>
>
This is really strange. I have 10 Wyse thin clients running RDP sessions from a server with Terminal Server Manager. Each as a local USB attached LaserJet printer for printing movement tags from shop floor data collection (Vantage 6.10). None of the printers are shared and each thin client has only the one printer installed.

People in the plant are reporting that their WIP tags (sheets really) are not only never printing on their local printer but actually popping up at other printers. I would not possibly know where to begin to make this happen if I wanted to - let alone stop it. And it is not consistent... one person prints OK and another never. All are logged in as user "shop" so only difference is the employee ID. I have not seen it personally but our Director of Operations swears it is happening even though I am suspecting people are making up an excuse for not getting proper paperwork.

Anyone have any idea if this could be real or what could cause this? Is there some feature in Terminal Services that can allow this?

Thanks,
Todd Caughey
Harvey Vogel Mfg. Co.

[Non-text portions of this message have been removed]
NO chance these 'local' printers became shared/floating address (versus positively local or at least shared/fixed IP) as a 'surprise' result of an upgrade or maintenance done recently (or tinkering by a user)?

Rob

Sent: Tue, May 11, 2010 2:52:06 PM
Subject: [Vantage] [6.10] Terminal Server / Thin Client Printer Issue

Â
This is really strange. I have 10 Wyse thin clients running RDP sessions from a server with Terminal Server Manager. Each as a local USB attached LaserJet printer for printing movement tags from shop floor data collection (Vantage 6.10). None of the printers are shared and each thin client has only the one printer installed.

People in the plant are reporting that their WIP tags (sheets really) are not only never printing on their local printer but actually popping up at other printers. I would not possibly know where to begin to make this happen if I wanted to - let alone stop it. And it is not consistent.. . one person prints OK and another never. All are logged in as user "shop" so only difference is the employee ID. I have not seen it personally but our Director of Operations swears it is happening even though I am suspecting people are making up an excuse for not getting proper paperwork.

Anyone have any idea if this could be real or what could cause this? Is there some feature in Terminal Services that can allow this?

Thanks,
Todd Caughey
Harvey Vogel Mfg. Co.

Well, I checked this really well first thing to make sure there were none sharing an IP address with anything else. The Wyse thin clients have a reset to EPROM feature on reboot so once things are set they go back to the last saved setup so users can’t make changes (or install viruses).

I did notice in the printer ports lists on the server when examining the printers that all the thin clients printer ports were the IP address followed by PRN2 which I am not sure what is being referred to. Other printers (such as mine at my desk) when I remote into the server show as different PRN numbers.

I really suspect the root of the issue is somewhere in the thin clients logging into the network (with local printer attached) and then an RDP session to the server where Vantage data collection runs. The remote sessions seem to see all the other TS session printers as available ports and not just their own local printer. Another unconfirmed possibility is that the if the local printer has a problem (out of paper, jam, etc..) it tries to print somewhere else – maybe explaining why this does not happen all the time or to everyone.

Thanks,
-Todd

From: vantage@yahoogroups.com [mailto:vantage@yahoogroups.com] On Behalf Of Robert Brown
Sent: Wednesday, May 12, 2010 2:13 AM
To: vantage@yahoogroups.com
Subject: Re: [Vantage] [6.10] Terminal Server / Thin Client Printer Issue

NO chance these 'local' printers became shared/floating address (versus positively local or at least shared/fixed IP) as a 'surprise' result of an upgrade or maintenance done recently (or tinkering by a user)?

Rob

Sent: Tue, May 11, 2010 2:52:06 PM
Subject: [Vantage] [6.10] Terminal Server / Thin Client Printer Issue

People in the plant are reporting that their WIP tags (sheets really) are not only never printing on their local printer but actually popping up at other printers. I would not possibly know where to begin to make this happen if I wanted to - let alone stop it. And it is not consistent.. . one person prints OK and another never. All are logged in as user "shop" so only difference is the employee ID. I have not seen it personally but our Director of Operations swears it is happening even though I am suspecting people are making up an excuse for not getting proper paperwork.

Thanks,
Todd Caughey
Harvey Vogel Mfg. Co.