8.03.409C to 9.05.604

We spent 9 months testing. However we had just a small team (3 people) and we took the occasion to restructure our EDI sales orders. I totally agree with Zac here. We ran into a few critical items along the way and I would definetely suggest running through a few "Quote to Cash" scenarios.

There is lots of cool stuff in 9 that I know you will love ie. updateable BAQ's etc. But do your homework.

Personally if you are just starting your testing now, June is probably aggressive. However as others have pointed out it depends on customizatinos, BPM's BAQ's and 3rd party packages.

Test them all.

DaveO

--- In vantage@yahoogroups.com, "pcivantage" <vantagegroup@...> wrote:
>
> I guess it can be easy or difficult depending your level of skill, customizations, custom reports and labels the all need to be modified, how many users you have etc.
>
> For us, it was expectedly painfull.
>
> Issues hit during upgrade:
> Could not load 9.05.603 because we are running Progress 32 Bit and Epicor 32 Bit on Server 2008 64 Bit. Had to get a "Fix" program that I still run every time I update it, called "xxcleanup64.reg" that clears up some registry issues that prevent the software from loading.
>
> After hours and hours of conversion from 8.03.409C to 9.04.507A the conversion kacked out with "**File IMFiscal - Cannot apply dictionary changes to existing records. (151)" which required another "Fix" file called "Clear_IM_Tables803400Prg.r" that clears out the data in all temporary tables. The problem is that it needs to be run on the 8.03.409C database, then export again and run the conversion again. This is a lot of time wasted.
>
> Finally got through the conversions then to the UOM conversion and it failed telling me that I could not have any Class of the "83CONVERSION" enven though I didn't. Another "Fix" was needed to run on the 8.03 Database called "OF_Del_Invalid_Company.r" because we had a couple of records from the first day of playing with Vantage back in 2006 where someone created a company called "A" and had a couple part records in it. The "Fix" clears out all invalid companies, but again, back to 8.03 and run everything again!
>
> Finally got into 9.04 and the UOM's were out of whack. Had to go back and redo them in 8.03.409C and run it all again.
>
> You get the idea.
> A. Be sure all OE patches and Epicor patches are applied to all versions prior to converting. Run your UOM conversion program in 8.03.409C again just prior to taking the backup and converting because you WILL find a couple more items that need assigning, that will cause the 9.04 conversion to fail or delay.
> B. Make sure you run the Manual Conversion 10080 in 9.04 or you will have a very hard time getting WIP reports etc. working in 9.05 because you cannot get the data from the 9.04 database.
> C. I would plan on running through it several times before trying to go live to find all these little hiccups.
> D. I don't know why you chose that data, but I would do it over the 3-Day Memorial Day weekend so you have time to get it done. It took me about 20 hours to do the final move.
>
> Good Luck!
> George Hicks
> PCI
>
>
>
> --- In vantage@yahoogroups.com, melissa hietala <kevmel822@> wrote:
> >
> > I was told yesterday that going from where we are at version wise, 8.03.409C, up
> > to 9.05.604 is not as big of leap as I thought it was as far as time needed for
> > testing. 6.1 to 9.05 is a much bigger leap, which makes sense. What are others
> > experience with this. IÂ aleady have 9..05.604 loaded on a test server and just
> > need to get started going through all the modules. Other then the UOM and
> > financials, are there any big changes (screen or funtionality) to worry
> > about? Our original go live date is mid-June and I was going to ask to move it,
> > but if the leap isn't that great I may just keep it and try and go gang busters.
> >
> > Any opinions?
> > Â Melissa Hietala
> > UMC, Inc.
> > melissah@
> >
> > [Non-text portions of this message have been removed]
> >
>
I was told yesterday that going from where we are at version wise, 8.03.409C, up
to 9.05.604 is not as big of leap as I thought it was as far as time needed for
testing. 6.1 to 9.05 is a much bigger leap, which makes sense. What are others
experience with this. IÂ aleady have 9..05.604 loaded on a test server and just
need to get started going through all the modules. Other then the UOM and
financials, are there any big changes (screen or funtionality) to worry
about? Our original go live date is mid-June and I was going to ask to move it,
but if the leap isn't that great I may just keep it and try and go gang busters.

Any opinions?
 Melissa Hietala
UMC, Inc.
melissah@...

[Non-text portions of this message have been removed]
We went through 2 solid months of testing before we went live from 8.03.405. Fixed all of the errors we knew about or got work arounds in place. Other than that we did no formal training of all the staff. We did some one on one training with specific individuals, but for the most part it was cosmetic changes. The day we went live we had some questions come up, but nothing major. I went home at the end of the day. I didn't have any reason nor did I have any to stay late and fix problems.

Don't get me wrong there were problems that came up that we missed in testing. Most were cosmetic or customization fixes that were done real quick. The others were bugs in the program that required epicor's input.

"Zac" Jason Woodward
Network Administrator
Intermountain Electronics, Inc.
O: 877-544-2291
M: 435-820-6515
F: 435-637-9601
www.ie-corp.com

Creating customer confidence through extraordinary service and experienced industry experts.

From: vantage@yahoogroups.com [mailto:vantage@yahoogroups.com] On Behalf Of melissa hietala
Sent: Friday, April 08, 2011 12:44 PM
To: vantage@yahoogroups.com
Subject: [Vantage] 8.03.409C to 9.05.604

I was told yesterday that going from where we are at version wise, 8.03.409C, up
to 9.05.604 is not as big of leap as I thought it was as far as time needed for
testing. 6.1 to 9.05 is a much bigger leap, which makes sense. What are others
experience with this. I aleady have 9..05.604 loaded on a test server and just
need to get started going through all the modules. Other then the UOM and
financials, are there any big changes (screen or funtionality) to worry
about? Our original go live date is mid-June and I was going to ask to move it,
but if the leap isn't that great I may just keep it and try and go gang busters.

Any opinions?
Melissa Hietala
UMC, Inc.
melissah@...<mailto:melissah%40ultramc.com>

I guess it can be easy or difficult depending your level of skill, customizations, custom reports and labels the all need to be modified, how many users you have etc.

For us, it was expectedly painfull.

Issues hit during upgrade:
Could not load 9.05.603 because we are running Progress 32 Bit and Epicor 32 Bit on Server 2008 64 Bit. Had to get a "Fix" program that I still run every time I update it, called "xxcleanup64.reg" that clears up some registry issues that prevent the software from loading.

After hours and hours of conversion from 8.03.409C to 9.04.507A the conversion kacked out with "**File IMFiscal - Cannot apply dictionary changes to existing records. (151)" which required another "Fix" file called "Clear_IM_Tables803400Prg.r" that clears out the data in all temporary tables. The problem is that it needs to be run on the 8.03.409C database, then export again and run the conversion again. This is a lot of time wasted.

Finally got through the conversions then to the UOM conversion and it failed telling me that I could not have any Class of the "83CONVERSION" enven though I didn't. Another "Fix" was needed to run on the 8.03 Database called "OF_Del_Invalid_Company.r" because we had a couple of records from the first day of playing with Vantage back in 2006 where someone created a company called "A" and had a couple part records in it. The "Fix" clears out all invalid companies, but again, back to 8.03 and run everything again!

Finally got into 9.04 and the UOM's were out of whack. Had to go back and redo them in 8.03.409C and run it all again.

You get the idea.
A. Be sure all OE patches and Epicor patches are applied to all versions prior to converting. Run your UOM conversion program in 8.03.409C again just prior to taking the backup and converting because you WILL find a couple more items that need assigning, that will cause the 9.04 conversion to fail or delay.
B. Make sure you run the Manual Conversion 10080 in 9.04 or you will have a very hard time getting WIP reports etc. working in 9.05 because you cannot get the data from the 9.04 database.
C. I would plan on running through it several times before trying to go live to find all these little hiccups.
D. I don't know why you chose that data, but I would do it over the 3-Day Memorial Day weekend so you have time to get it done. It took me about 20 hours to do the final move.

Good Luck!
George Hicks
PCI

--- In vantage@yahoogroups.com, melissa hietala <kevmel822@...> wrote:
>
> I was told yesterday that going from where we are at version wise, 8.03.409C, up
> to 9.05.604 is not as big of leap as I thought it was as far as time needed for
> testing. 6.1 to 9.05 is a much bigger leap, which makes sense. What are others
> experience with this. IÂ aleady have 9..05.604 loaded on a test server and just
> need to get started going through all the modules. Other then the UOM and
> financials, are there any big changes (screen or funtionality) to worry
> about? Our original go live date is mid-June and I was going to ask to move it,
> but if the leap isn't that great I may just keep it and try and go gang busters.
>
> Any opinions?
> Â Melissa Hietala
> UMC, Inc.
> melissah@...
>
> [Non-text portions of this message have been removed]
>
To add to what Zac said, it's probably also highly dependent upon
customizations/BPM's that you have in place, as well as BAQ's.

One client I worked with had a big issue is with the financials. Since
there were schema changes, many of the BAQ's, and by extension, BAQ reports,
no longer functioned. They needed to be rewritten because of the changes to
account info. As an example, if you have BAQ's that pull GL info into
reports, the schema is different .

HTH,

Kevin Simon

From: vantage@yahoogroups.com [mailto:vantage@yahoogroups.com] On Behalf Of
Zac Jason Woodward
Sent: Friday, April 08, 2011 3:24 PM
To: vantage@yahoogroups.com
Subject: RE: [Vantage] 8.03.409C to 9.05.604

We went through 2 solid months of testing before we went live from 8.03.405.
Fixed all of the errors we knew about or got work arounds in place. Other
than that we did no formal training of all the staff. We did some one on one
training with specific individuals, but for the most part it was cosmetic
changes. The day we went live we had some questions come up, but nothing
major. I went home at the end of the day. I didn't have any reason nor did I
have any to stay late and fix problems.

Don't get me wrong there were problems that came up that we missed in
testing. Most were cosmetic or customization fixes that were done real
quick. The others were bugs in the program that required epicor's input.

"Zac" Jason Woodward
Network Administrator
Intermountain Electronics, Inc.
O: 877-544-2291
M: 435-820-6515
F: 435-637-9601
www.ie-corp.com

Creating customer confidence through extraordinary service and experienced
industry experts.

From: vantage@yahoogroups.com <mailto:vantage%40yahoogroups.com>
[mailto:vantage@yahoogroups.com <mailto:vantage%40yahoogroups.com> ] On
Behalf Of melissa hietala