AppServer Hangs on second run of Capture COS/WIP Activity

I don't have a problem stopping and starting the appservers.

The problem is, stopping and restarting the appservers doesn't clear out the "Capture COS/WIP Activity" from the system. A reboot of the server does.

Jeff Sanders

--- In vantage@yahoogroups.com, "cooner_55421" <cooner_55421@...> wrote:
>
> Never mind...
> I found this in a post from last year.
> It works great....
>
> ***** Start ************
>
> @echo off
>
> echo Stopping 8.0 Services and Database...
>
> set DLC=D:\Epicor\OE100B
>
> set PATH=%DLC%\BIN;%PATH%
>
> set LIB=%DLC%\LIB;%LIB%
>
> D:
>
> echo .
>
> echo .
>
> echo STOPPING MfgSys803 DB/APPSERVER...
>
> cd \Epicor\MfgSys803\db
>
> call asbman -name MfgSys803ProcessServer -stop
>
> call asbman -name MfgSys803TaskAgent -stop
>
> call asbman -name MfgSys803 -stop
>
> call dbman -host localhost -port 20931 -database Mfgsys803 -stop
>
> echo STOPPING MfgTest803 DB/APPSERVER...
>
> cd \Epicor\Test803\db
>
> call asbman -name MfgTest803ProcessServer -stop
>
> call asbman -name MfgTest803TaskAgent -stop
>
> call asbman -name MfgTest803 -stop
>
> call dbman -host localhost -port 20931 -database MfgTest803 -stop
>
> echo STOPPING MfgTrain803 DB/APPSERVER...
>
> cd \Epicor\Train803\db
>
> call asbman -name MfgTrain803ProcessServer -stop
>
> call asbman -name MfgTrain803TaskAgent -stop
>
> call asbman -name MfgTrain803 -stop
>
> call dbman -host localhost -port 20931 -database MfgTrain803 -stop
>
> echo STOPPING MFGPilot803 DB/APPSERVER...
>
> cd \Epicor\Pilot803\db
>
> call asbman -name MFGPilot803ProcessServer -stop
>
> call asbman -name MFGPilot803TaskAgent -stop
>
> call asbman -name MFGPilot803 -stop
>
> call dbman -host localhost -port 20931 -database MFGPilot803 -stop
>
> echo .
>
> echo .
>
> echo .
>
> echo .
>
> echo .
>
> REM net stop "AdminService for OpenEdge 10.0B"
>
> echo.
>
> echo.
>
Epicor 9.05.601b SQL 64bit

The first time we run Capture COS/WIP Activity everything works as it should. The next time you try to run it, a Timeout error occurs with no other information. This occurs about 3 or 4 minutes after starting it. (This is several weeks between runs as we try to run this once a month) The log files have the same lack of detail.

We did a webex with EPICOR. After a lot of testing we found there are five items in the Epicor905 Server Pool. A couple of them have a State of "Sending". This is what Epicor believed to be the problem. The Capture was "hung up" in the system. Epicor's solution, after trying many other things, was to restart the AppServer. That does work but it doesn't seem to be a good solution. We are now experiencing the same thing after running the Capture for last month. Anyone know of a way to reset the appservers without restarting the entire server?

I have tried stopping and restarting the processServer and taskAgent without success. I also noticed if you go into the Server Pool for Epicor905 and click the PID for the offending item, there is a KILL button. I assume this is a way to stop it but I'm not sure what this would cause and if you need to restart it. Anyone have any experience with this?

Thanks,
Jeff Sanders
You can always stop and start the appservers without restarting the machine, however, if you intend to stop the main appserver you will need to ensure that everyone is out of Vantage. I stop our appservers every night to perform an offline backup. They are restarted immediately after the backup has finished. However, if you have personnel in Vantage 24 hours a day then this would not be a suitable solution.

Stopping and starting the appservers can be done is a batch file that can be scheduled. If you are unsure how to do that just ask the group as most of us have been doing this for some time. I am surprised the consultant that installed and setup your Vantage did not give you instructions on how to do this.

Charles Carden
IT Manager
Manitex, Inc.
Georgetown, Texas

----- Original Message -----
To: vantage@yahoogroups.com
Sent: Monday, December 27, 2010 9:19 AM
Subject: [Vantage] AppServer Hangs on second run of Capture COS/WIP Activity

Epicor 9.05.601b SQL 64bit

The first time we run Capture COS/WIP Activity everything works as it should. The next time you try to run it, a Timeout error occurs with no other information. This occurs about 3 or 4 minutes after starting it. (This is several weeks between runs as we try to run this once a month) The log files have the same lack of detail.

We did a webex with EPICOR. After a lot of testing we found there are five items in the Epicor905 Server Pool. A couple of them have a State of "Sending". This is what Epicor believed to be the problem. The Capture was "hung up" in the system. Epicor's solution, after trying many other things, was to restart the AppServer. That does work but it doesn't seem to be a good solution. We are now experiencing the same thing after running the Capture for last month. Anyone know of a way to reset the appservers without restarting the entire server?

I have tried stopping and restarting the processServer and taskAgent without success. I also noticed if you go into the Server Pool for Epicor905 and click the PID for the offending item, there is a KILL button. I assume this is a way to stop it but I'm not sure what this would cause and if you need to restart it. Anyone have any experience with this?

Thanks,
Jeff Sanders

[Non-text portions of this message have been removed]