BOM "Hold" Blank Title 94821

Here is a simple work around. A bit dorky I admit, but it works.

Change the part description on the questionable components from CONTROL PANEL to: ENG-HOLD-CONTROL PANEL.

The buyer should be able to figure that out and will not have to remember. I was once a buyer, so I understand their frustration.

Randy Weber
Epicor Consultant
www.randallweber.com

--- In vantage@yahoogroups.com, Ken Williams <kwilliams@...> wrote:
>
> We are a custom job shop - and as such we often run into unique issues. I'm trying to help Engineering/Procurement with two issues that could be fixed at once if there is a way of fixing.....
>
> Situation A:
>
> 1. Quote Entered
>
> a. BOM copied from a similar job
>
> b. Reviewed, saved, quoted
>
> 2. Weeks go by, Quote is won, SO & Job are created
>
> 3. Job is scheduled & engineered, triggering PO Suggestions
>
> a. However - Engineering has questions about 2 line items - they do NOT want them ordered yet.
>
> Situation B:
>
> 1. Quote Entered
>
> a. BOM copied from a similar job
>
> b. Reviewed, saved, quoted
>
> 2. Weeks go by, Quote is won, SO & Job are created
>
> 3. Job is scheduled & engineered, triggering PO Suggestions
>
> a. However - Engineering knows 3 line items are critical to be ordered due to lead times, the rest needs a thorough review. They want to order ONLY those 3 lines.
>
> Current state is, we either hold off on engineering the job until engineering is truly ready (likely resulting in missing deadlines due to long lead items or ordering the wrong parts) or we manually communicate to the buyer who now has to remember NOT to buy certain line items.
>
> We're currently on Vantage, moving to Epicor 9 by end of year. Previously I've tried to intercept PO Suggestions in Vantage, with the thought being we could have a checkbox in Job Entry to "ignore" the item for Suggestions - but that process was pretty locked down from the outside. I don't know if E9 is different or if there is perhaps functionality I'm missing that would allow us to ignore line items. Alternatively, functionality to only order selected items would work as well.
>
> Any suggestions on how to handle this?
>
> Ken Williams
> Vice President, Administrative Services
> Intermountain Electronics, Inc.
> O: 877-544-2291
> M: 801-918-7318
> F: 435-637-9601
> www.ie-corp.com
>
> Creating customer confidence through extraordinary service and experienced industry experts.
>
>
>
> [Non-text portions of this message have been removed]
>
We are a custom job shop - and as such we often run into unique issues. I'm trying to help Engineering/Procurement with two issues that could be fixed at once if there is a way of fixing.....

Situation A:

1. Quote Entered

a. BOM copied from a similar job

b. Reviewed, saved, quoted

2. Weeks go by, Quote is won, SO & Job are created

3. Job is scheduled & engineered, triggering PO Suggestions

a. However - Engineering has questions about 2 line items - they do NOT want them ordered yet.

Situation B:

1. Quote Entered

a. However - Engineering knows 3 line items are critical to be ordered due to lead times, the rest needs a thorough review. They want to order ONLY those 3 lines.

Current state is, we either hold off on engineering the job until engineering is truly ready (likely resulting in missing deadlines due to long lead items or ordering the wrong parts) or we manually communicate to the buyer who now has to remember NOT to buy certain line items.

We're currently on Vantage, moving to Epicor 9 by end of year. Previously I've tried to intercept PO Suggestions in Vantage, with the thought being we could have a checkbox in Job Entry to "ignore" the item for Suggestions - but that process was pretty locked down from the outside. I don't know if E9 is different or if there is perhaps functionality I'm missing that would allow us to ignore line items. Alternatively, functionality to only order selected items would work as well.

Any suggestions on how to handle this?

Ken Williams
Vice President, Administrative Services
Intermountain Electronics, Inc.
O: 877-544-2291
M: 801-918-7318
F: 435-637-9601
www.ie-corp.com

Creating customer confidence through extraordinary service and experienced industry experts.

[Non-text portions of this message have been removed]
Ken,
do your buyers use time phase to help them consolidate
Purchases? Are these all purchase to stock items? I put an embedded dashboard in our time phase to help our buyers distinguish between po suggestions from regular jobs and ' forecast' jobs..i wonder if you couldn't make something similar...that hones in on your check box method..or perhaps make an alternate dash board for them to review that mimics po suggestions and uses row rules to highlight lines marked for special consideration before they get click happy in their work bench...i looked long ago into intercepting those and came up short as well but eventually found a compromise..just my brief thoughts while im feeding my pigs..

-----Original Message-----
Sent: Friday, October 22, 2010 8:44 AM
To: vantage@yahoogroups.com <vantage@yahoogroups.com>
Subject: [Vantage] BOM "Hold"

We are a custom job shop - and as such we often run into unique issues. I'm trying to help Engineering/Procurement with two issues that could be fixed at once if there is a way of fixing.....

Situation A:

1. Quote Entered

a. However - Engineering has questions about 2 line items - they do NOT want them ordered yet.

Situation B:

1. Quote Entered

a. However - Engineering knows 3 line items are critical to be ordered due to lead times, the rest needs a thorough review. They want to order ONLY those 3 lines.

Current state is, we either hold off on engineering the job until engineering is truly ready (likely resulting in missing deadlines due to long lead items or ordering the wrong parts) or we manually communicate to the buyer who now has to remember NOT to buy certain line items.

We're currently on Vantage, moving to Epicor 9 by end of year. Previously I've tried to intercept PO Suggestions in Vantage, with the thought being we could have a checkbox in Job Entry to "ignore" the item for Suggestions - but that process was pretty locked down from the outside. I don't know if E9 is different or if there is perhaps functionality I'm missing that would allow us to ignore line items. Alternatively, functionality to only order selected items would work as well.

Any suggestions on how to handle this?

Ken Williams
Vice President, Administrative Services
Intermountain Electronics, Inc.
O: 877-544-2291
M: 801-918-7318
F: 435-637-9601
www.ie-corp.com

Creating customer confidence through extraordinary service and experienced industry experts.

[Non-text portions of this message have been removed]