BPM send out email at Order Entry

On Wed, Jul 28, 2010 at 1:06 PM, k99ja04 <jallmond@...> wrote:
> It just needs to be a simple email saying your order has been received, as confirmation that a
> faxed order has been actually entered. Just trying to automate so someone doesn't forget to
> send the email.
>
> This is part of a larger project, and I was hoping to cut my teeth on BPMs. The next part is,
> how would I send an email to customer saying production has started? i.e. the job is released.
> If I use JobEntry.Opdate, (or maybe JobSched.something), can I even access the Customer.email field?
> Can you post the 4GL code to send an email, or point me to a link? Search is not very helpful.
> I also browsed the BPM files section but couldn't find quite what I was looking for.

Sounds like a job for work flow. I would use a BPM to create a Task so
that the responsible party knows to do the job. You can create a
Dashboard that gives status at a glance. Read about BPM Holds to see
how not to duplicate tasks.

I like to have a buffer between my internal processes and customer
contact. I don't want them to see every time I've updated their order,
(re)released their job, etc. I don't mind automating the process but I
like some separation to reduce confusing communications.

Mark W.
I am a complete noob with BPMs. I would like to send out an email to the customer when an order is entered. Not exactly sure which Business Object to use, or how to get the email field out of the customer table. Any pointers in the right direction are greatly appreciated.
> I am a complete noob with BPMs. I would like to send out an email to the customer when an order is entered.
> Not exactly sure which Business Object to use, or how to get the email field out of the customer table. Any
> pointers in the right direction are greatly appreciated.

My guess is what you really want to do is to send a Sales Order
Acknowledgment once you have an approved order, right? If you go the
BPM route, you'll find that you'll be sending multiple copies of
orders while you're still working on the order. I would think about
handling this in your distribution process and not during order entry.

Mark W.
It just needs to be a simple email saying your order has been received, as confirmation that a faxed order has been actually entered. Just trying to automate so someone doesn't forget to send the email.

This is part of a larger project, and I was hoping to cut my teeth on BPMs. The next part is, how would I send an email to customer saying production has started? i.e. the job is released. If I use JobEntry.Opdate, (or maybe JobSched.something), can I even access the Customer.email field? Can you post the 4GL code to send an email, or point me to a link? Search is not very helpful. I also browsed the BPM files section but couldn't find quite what I was looking for.