BPM when Order changes

You really have to get good at the trace logs before doing a BPM.   It gives you a good idea of what objects are involved in the change.  If you export the log and view it with internet explorer, it is a lot easier to read.
Â
I do have one question.   Why do you want to have emails going all over the place.  Why don't you create a dashboard for the operations to look at periodically to see what's next for production?  Then you wouldn't have to worry about who read what email?
Â
Just a thought,
Glen

--- On Sat, 5/16/09, Nigel Kerley <nigel.kerley@...> wrote:

Subject: [Vantage] Re: BPM when Order changes
To: vantage@yahoogroups.com
Date: Saturday, May 16, 2009, 12:48 PM

Hi Emily,

I'm not sure I'd use the change log. It doesn't store data in a very friendly way and you'd have to parse it carefully in order to pull out the specific changes.

I'd take a look at using the Book Details tables: BookDtl & BookRel. They seem to store data in a way that would easily link to the Order tables.

Next, in this case I think I'd go with Rob's suggestion of using a BAM instead of a BPM. Using an alert program you could link to the Book Details tables and include that data in your emails. You could filter the results to only include where BookType = 'Chg' so that only changes would be emailed.

HTH,

Nigel.

--- In vantage@yahoogroups .com, "emverbeke" <emverbeke@. ..> wrote:
>
> We have this lovely paper system that when a customer changes an order for any reason (parts quantity, new color paint, etc) a "change notice' form is filled out and that goes to production. We would love to have a BPM that emails an individual in production with a notice that a change has been made. Our consultant said to use the change log to control the BPM but I'm not having much success figuring out how to make it run. This is the first BPM that I'm doing. I have the Tools User Guide but I'm struggling with this. Any ideas? Thanks!
>
> Emily
>

[Non-text portions of this message have been removed]
We have this lovely paper system that when a customer changes an order for any reason (parts quantity, new color paint, etc) a "change notice' form is filled out and that goes to production. We would love to have a BPM that emails an individual in production with a notice that a change has been made. Our consultant said to use the change log to control the BPM but I'm not having much success figuring out how to make it run. This is the first BPM that I'm doing. I have the Tools User Guide but I'm struggling with this. Any ideas? Thanks!

Emily
Don't you use jobs? (Your products sound pretty customizable.)
If you do, wouldn't revising job (bump rev on part number & change job details) give the result you desire?
If not, I'd try a BAM 1st (just to verify you can detect all appropriate changes & generate email).
Rob

--- Original Message ---
Sent:Fri 5/15/09 12:29 pm
To:vantage@yahoogroups.com
Subj:[Vantage] BPM when Order changes

We have this lovely paper system that when a customer changes an order for any reason (parts quantity, new color paint, etc) a "change notice' form is filled out and that goes to production. We would love to have a BPM that emails an individual in production with a notice that a change has been made. Our consultant said to use the change log to control the BPM but I'm not having much success figuring out how to make it run. This is the first BPM that I'm doing. I have the Tools User Guide but I'm struggling with this. Any ideas? Thanks!

Emily
Hi Emily,

I'm not sure I'd use the change log. It doesn't store data in a very friendly way and you'd have to parse it carefully in order to pull out the specific changes.

I'd take a look at using the Book Details tables: BookDtl & BookRel. They seem to store data in a way that would easily link to the Order tables.

Next, in this case I think I'd go with Rob's suggestion of using a BAM instead of a BPM. Using an alert program you could link to the Book Details tables and include that data in your emails. You could filter the results to only include where BookType = 'Chg' so that only changes would be emailed.

HTH,

Nigel.

--- In vantage@yahoogroups.com, "emverbeke" <emverbeke@...> wrote:
>
> We have this lovely paper system that when a customer changes an order for any reason (parts quantity, new color paint, etc) a "change notice' form is filled out and that goes to production. We would love to have a BPM that emails an individual in production with a notice that a change has been made. Our consultant said to use the change log to control the BPM but I'm not having much success figuring out how to make it run. This is the first BPM that I'm doing. I have the Tools User Guide but I'm struggling with this. Any ideas? Thanks!
>
> Emily
>