BPM's in Different Environments

Hey Vic,
This is one of the reasons we have our test environment on VMWare.
I believe you can use VMWare very cheaply on small non-production scale, if you wanted to go that route.

--- On Tue, 11/8/11, Vic Drecchio <vic.drecchio@...> wrote:

Subject: [Vantage] BPM's in Different Environments
To: vantage@yahoogroups.com
Date: Tuesday, November 8, 2011, 3:07 PM

Â

(Vantage 8.03.409C Progress)

I’m very new to BPMs. For every time I get excited about them, there’s something that makes me shake my head.

If I’m in the TEST environment and create a BPM on a certain BO and method, it seems that if I have the LIVE environment with the same BPMs... and I change something in TEST it effects the LIVE environment?

I called Epicor support and they verified that this is true in Vantage (not in E9).

I’m just curious on what everyone does to build and tweak BPMs in different environments.

I got a “Deadloop has been resolved” error this morning on one of my LIVE BPMs that I am *certain* was working 100% OK on Friday. Yesterday I changed things in TEST on that same BPM and it screwed up LIVE’s BPM... which resulted in that “Deadloop has been resolved” issue (even though I have the “Prevent Loops” checked).

So, I have a good, working BPM in LIVE. I restore LIVE to TEST. I make changes to the BPM in TEST and it effects the same BPM in LIVE.... wow. Am I doing something wrong and/or is Epicor support wrong?

TIA.

Vic

[Non-text portions of this message have been removed]

I’m very new to BPMs. For every time I get excited about them, there’s something that makes me shake my head.

If I’m in the TEST environment and create a BPM on a certain BO and method, it seems that if I have the LIVE environment with the same BPMs... and I change something in TEST it effects the LIVE environment?

I called Epicor support and they verified that this is true in Vantage (not in E9).

I’m just curious on what everyone does to build and tweak BPMs in different environments.

I got a “Deadloop has been resolved” error this morning on one of my LIVE BPMs that I am *certain* was working 100% OK on Friday. Yesterday I changed things in TEST on that same BPM and it screwed up LIVE’s BPM... which resulted in that “Deadloop has been resolved” issue (even though I have the “Prevent Loops” checked).

So, I have a good, working BPM in LIVE. I restore LIVE to TEST. I make changes to the BPM in TEST and it effects the same BPM in LIVE.... wow. Am I doing something wrong and/or is Epicor support wrong?

TIA.

Vic

Ahh.... never mind...... thanks to Rob Bucek.... I think I’m up to 3 bottles of Grey Goose owed in May to him now.....Hopefully they’ll cancel Perspectives again.

Summary: BPM How to separate directives from triggering in different Databases

Book: Support Solutions

Page: 9275MPS

BPM

Separate databases

Propath

XA803

PROBLEM DESCRIPTION:

BPM directives in test database are also being triggered in live environment.

RESOLUTION:

BPM is looking for the \Epicor\mfgsys803\BPM folder by default. The Appservers' (mfgsys803, mfgtrain803,

mfgtest803, mfgpilot803) PROPATH are all looking to this folder for writing AND reading of the directives.

This causes a problem since the Test database will write BPM's to the same folder that the Live database

reads BPM's from.

In order to change this You will want to create sub folders under \epicor\mfgsys803 to use for non-live

BPM's. For instance: \Epicor\mfgsys803\TestBPM\BPM or \Epicor\mfgsys803\TrainBPM\BPM etc...

! Note: It is important that the sub folder you create also has a folder within named 'BPM' specifically.

We will then need to edit the PROPATH of each Appserver that you will look to separate out.

1) Open the Progress Explorer Tool

2) Navigate to Appserver and then Mfgtest803 and right click and click properties

3) In the left Tree view, click on Agent

4) Inside the PROPATH textbox you will find something similar to: C:\Epicor\mfgsys803\bpm

5) Change this entry to C:\Epicor\mfgsys803\TestBPM\BPM

Everything else in the PROPATH can stay the same.

The Appservers will need to be restarted for this to take affect.

From this point onward all BPM's created/saved while connected to the Test slot will be put in this folder

and they won't be seen by the other databases.

Sent: Tuesday, November 08, 2011 10:07 AM
To: vantage@yahoogroups.com

TIA.

Vic

No virus found in this message.
Checked by AVG - www.avg.com
Version: 2012.0.1869 / Virus Database: 2092/4604 - Release Date: 11/08/11

Here is the AnswerBook on how to fix this:
Â
AnswerBook #: Â 1288BRK Product: Vantage Â
Â
Added: Â 04/24/2008 Version: 8.03.403D SQ Â
Â
Changed: Â 05/13/2008 Module: BPM Â
Â
   Â
 Summary:
 Setting BPM to apply to one DB at a time.
Â
Â
 Details: Â
Â
 The default Vantage install is such that any BPM method directives apply to ALL Vantage DBs on the server.

This means that if you develop a BPM in the TEST database, once enabled it will apply and run in the LIVE and TRAIN databases as well. It will therefore cause problems if you want to test BPMs while developing them, or if you are running several databases, each with different BPM requirements.

To enable BPM to apply to one particular DB, you need to set up the Appservers to have unique BPM folders in their PROPATH.

The steps below explain how to change the Train DB to use a different BPM folder.
1. In Progress Explorer, right click on the MFGTRAIN803 Appserver.
2. Select Properties
3. Click on Agent ' General
4. The PROPATH should be similar to the following: "E:\epicor\mfgsys803\custom,E:\epicor\mfgsys803\bpm,:\epicor\mfgsys803\Server\custom,E:\epicor\mfgsys803\Server,E:\epicor\mfgsys803"
5. Change the BPM element of this to a unique path i.e. "E:\epicor\mfgsys803\custom,E:\epicor\mfgsys803\TRAIN\bpm,:\epicor\mfgsys803\Server\custom,E:\epicor\mfgsys803\Server,E:\epicor\mfgsys803"
N.B. It is IMPERATIVE that the path ends in "BPM"
6. Repeat Steps 2 - 5 for the MFGTRAIN803ProcessServer and MFGTRAIN803TaskAgent
7. From Windows Explorer, create the directory specified in this instance "E:\epicor\mfgsys803\TRAIN\bpm"
8. Restart the Appservers. Users will need to be logged off for this.
9. Resave any BPMs created in the Train DB.

Background
When building a BPM method directive, data is stored in the Vantage DB. When a BPM directive is enabled and saved, the data is processed and a Progress program is generated to disk. The program is generated into the directory specified in the Appserver's PROPATH (folder ending in BPM). When Business Object methods are called via Web Services or a Vantage client, any BPM directives which exist for this method are located first in the propath and are therefore executed prior to base Business Object methods

Sent: Tuesday, November 8, 2011 10:07 AM

Â

TIA.

Vic