Can I 'update' a personnalization to work with the new customized version of the menu?

Let’s say I have a customization on the menu AP Invoice Entry named V01. A user then personalize the form to change the column order on the summary page.

If I deploy another customization on this menu AP Invoice Entry, named V02 and I set it as the default, the personalization of the user is still linked to V01 so when the user open the menu, their modifications aren’t there anymore.

I tried to go into Customization Maintenance and I export the personalization into an .xml file. After that, I open the V02 menu and I click on Tools → Personalization. I then click on ‘Import’ and I select the file that I just exported and click on ‘OK’. If I reload the menu, I see that my personalization is now linked to V02 but the problem is that my column order modification isn’t there

Is that possible to do or do i need to tell users that every time I update a form, they need to do their personalizations again?

They’ll need to do their personalizations again. If instead of making a new copy, you update the one in place, it will stay attached. We generally just keep adding to the one in place, mostly for that reason.

So you mean that instead of creating a new version of the customization, you just add to it in a development environment and you overwrite the current version in production with this updated version when it’s ready to deploy to everyone?

Correct.

Adding to what Brandon Anderson already said, what we usually do with customizations is add a rev number to the title (the part that displays on the screen itself) such as AP Entry rev01. We only change the name of the customization itself to AP_Entry_rev02 IF the change is fairly substantial, and it probably would mess up personalizations if we made it in place. By changing the title name, you can tell if they are using an older version or not, so if it’s important, you can have them redo the customization, but if not, they can keep with what they have. So if it’s a minor change, AP_Entry_rev01.1 can still be used with the customization name AP_Entry_rev01 for example.

2 Likes