Can't access PartOpr via ODBC using MS Access

EXCELLENT!



Thanks very much Mark!



Thanks,

Joe Rojas

IT Manager

TNCO, Inc.

781-447-6661 x7506

jrojas@...



________________________________

From: vantage@yahoogroups.com [mailto:vantage@yahoogroups.com] On Behalf
Of Mark Wonsil
Sent: Tuesday, November 28, 2006 10:09 AM
To: vantage@yahoogroups.com
Subject: RE: [Vantage] Re: Can't access PartOpr via ODBC using MS Access



> I am trying to link to the PartOpr table using MS Access via ODBC but
> when I try I get error that says "The size of a field is too large."
>
> Anyone have any success opening this table via ODBC?

There are usually two errors that I routinely get using ODBC:

- Too many indices

- Field too large

The "work-around", as it were, is to use pass-through queries and only
pull
down the fields that you want. To set up a pass-through query:

- Create new query but don't select a table.

- Under the Query menu item, choose SQL Specific and then "Pass-Through"

- Under the View menu item, choose Properties and set the ODBC
connection
string. (You should be able to browse to it by clicking the ... box on
the
right of the field.)

- Enter your SQL select statement.

That should do it.

Mark W.





[Non-text portions of this message have been removed]
Hello,

I am trying to link to the PartOpr table using MS Access via ODBC but when I try I get error that says "The size of a field is too large."

Anyone have any success opening this table via ODBC?

Thanks!

Joe Rojas



[Non-text portions of this message have been removed]
I have no problem on 8.00.809 progress db opening PartOpr with Access
2003

--- In vantage@yahoogroups.com, "Joe Rojas" <jrojas@...> wrote:
>
> Hello,
>
> I am trying to link to the PartOpr table using MS Access via ODBC but
when I try I get error that says "The size of a field is too large."
>
> Anyone have any success opening this table via ODBC?
>
> Thanks!
>
> Joe Rojas
>
>
>
> [Non-text portions of this message have been removed]
>
I just tried from another computer and I get the same error.

I am connecting to a 8.03.304B Progress DB.



Thanks,

Joe Rojas

IT Manager

TNCO, Inc.

781-447-6661 x7506

jrojas@...



________________________________

From: vantage@yahoogroups.com [mailto:vantage@yahoogroups.com] On Behalf
Of bw2868bond
Sent: Friday, November 24, 2006 10:18 PM
To: vantage@yahoogroups.com
Subject: [Vantage] Re: Can't access PartOpr via ODBC using MS Access



I have no problem on 8.00.809 progress db opening PartOpr with Access
2003

--- In vantage@yahoogroups.com <mailto:vantage%40yahoogroups.com> , "Joe
Rojas" <jrojas@...> wrote:
>
> Hello,
>
> I am trying to link to the PartOpr table using MS Access via ODBC but
when I try I get error that says "The size of a field is too large."
>
> Anyone have any success opening this table via ODBC?
>
> Thanks!
>
> Joe Rojas
>
>
>
> [Non-text portions of this message have been removed]
>





[Non-text portions of this message have been removed]
You are correct - I just tried on a 8.03 db and Access gives an error
on PartOpr table.

Sounds like an issue for support....

--- In vantage@yahoogroups.com, "Joe Rojas" <jrojas@...> wrote:
>
> I just tried from another computer and I get the same error.
>
> I am connecting to a 8.03.304B Progress DB.
>
>
>
> Thanks,
>
> Joe Rojas
>
> IT Manager
>
> TNCO, Inc.
>
> 781-447-6661 x7506
>
> jrojas@...
>
>
>
> ________________________________
>
> From: vantage@yahoogroups.com [mailto:vantage@yahoogroups.com] On
Behalf
> Of bw2868bond
> Sent: Friday, November 24, 2006 10:18 PM
> To: vantage@yahoogroups.com
> Subject: [Vantage] Re: Can't access PartOpr via ODBC using MS Access
>
>
>
> I have no problem on 8.00.809 progress db opening PartOpr with
Access
> 2003
>
> --- In vantage@yahoogroups.com <mailto:vantage%
40yahoogroups.com> , "Joe
> Rojas" <jrojas@> wrote:
> >
> > Hello,
> >
> > I am trying to link to the PartOpr table using MS Access via ODBC
but
> when I try I get error that says "The size of a field is too large."
> >
> > Anyone have any success opening this table via ODBC?
> >
> > Thanks!
> >
> > Joe Rojas
> >
> >
> >
> > [Non-text portions of this message have been removed]
> >
>
>
>
>
>
> [Non-text portions of this message have been removed]
>
> I am trying to link to the PartOpr table using MS Access via ODBC but
> when I try I get error that says "The size of a field is too large."
>
> Anyone have any success opening this table via ODBC?

There are usually two errors that I routinely get using ODBC:

- Too many indices

- Field too large

The "work-around", as it were, is to use pass-through queries and only pull
down the fields that you want. To set up a pass-through query:

- Create new query but don't select a table.

- Under the Query menu item, choose SQL Specific and then "Pass-Through"

- Under the View menu item, choose Properties and set the ODBC connection
string. (You should be able to browse to it by clicking the ... box on the
right of the field.)

- Enter your SQL select statement.

That should do it.

Mark W.