Carriage Return in DMT string text data

We extracted the data and inserted the VB character for a line feed, vbLf, where we needed one.
After uploading to Excel I used a small VB macro to convert the vbLf into the proper Alt Enter, about 10 lines of VB Code.

Steve

Steven M. Carr
Crawford Software Consulting, Inc. (CSCI)
"Bringing Software and Manufacturing Together"
Please note - new efax number
Email: Steven.Carr@...
Phone: (603) 537 - 9630 x 111
Mobile: (603) 264 - 7010
Fax: (603) 537 - 9633
Efax: (603) 386 - 6671

[http://www.crawford-software.com/sap_partner_R_tm_p.jpg%5d<http://www.crawford-software.com/SAPOverview.htm> [WinshuttlePartnerNetworkSmall] [Small Global Certified Partner Logo] [Epicor Certified Consulting Partner]

Notice: This electronic transmission is strictly confidential to Crawford Software Consulting, Inc. (CSCI) and intended solely for the addressee. It may contain information, which is covered by legal, professional, or other privilege. If you are not the intended addressee, or someone authorized by the intended addressee to receive transmissions on the behalf of the addressee, you must not retain, disclose in any form, copy or take any action in reliance on this transmission. If you have received this transmission in error, please notify the sender as soon as possible and destroy this message. Contact CSCI at (603) 537-9630.

From: vantage@yahoogroups.com [mailto:vantage@yahoogroups.com] On Behalf Of Tim Vonderhaar
Sent: Tuesday, December 27, 2011 3:27 PM
To: vantage@yahoogroups.com
Subject: [Vantage] Carriage Return in DMT string text data

Anyone have any luck inserting a carriage return within string text data used during DMT? We have tried various ESC characters but haven't stumbled across anything that works.

[Non-text portions of this message have been removed]
Anyone have any luck inserting a carriage return within string text data used during DMT? We have tried various ESC characters but haven't stumbled across anything that works.
We use Excel 2007/2010 for prepping loads. The Alt-Enter used to force a new line in the Excel cell translates fine using the DMT. When we extract data for updating sometimes we see the rectangle-type symbol in the string and leave it in there - that keeps out line returns where we want them.

Jenn

[Non-text portions of this message have been removed]
Thanks Jenn. I did as you said, but then saved the excel file as a .csv file. I then inspected the file using a hex editor. It clearly shows a line feed character (0x0A) between the lines of text. I then wrote a quick test program to generate a .csv with the same data and it worked like a charm.

--- In vantage@yahoogroups.com, "Lisser, Jennifer" <Jennifer.Lisser@...> wrote:
>
> We use Excel 2007/2010 for prepping loads. The Alt-Enter used to force a new line in the Excel cell translates fine using the DMT. When we extract data for updating sometimes we see the rectangle-type symbol in the string and leave it in there - that keeps out line returns where we want them.
>
> Jenn
>
>
> [Non-text portions of this message have been removed]
>