Case Sensitivity in RDD/SSRS

Is there a way to ignore the case of fields in the RDD? Or maybe it needs to be done in the join in SSRS?
I have a spot where one user used all caps and another used lowercase. The actual part is in all caps, so it looks like the RDD is seeing this as two different part numbers and is duplicating lines because of it.

1 Like

Possibly at the RDD level.
It didn’t seem to change anything setting it in SSRS.

Deleting the relationship from the RDD (but keeping the table) and keeping the change in SSRS seemed to do the trick!

1 Like

Glad you figured it out, when debugging double data that is outputted on a report, it’s most likely due to the relationships @ the RDD level. In some cases, you may need to modify the report style if you really need the relationship for a certain field.

Is there any point to adding relationships for the added tables at the RDD level if I can just do it all at the SSRS level?

I actually never tried setting up relationships @ the SSRS level without setting them up at the RDD level first. I’m gonna give it a try haha.

Yes. The table without the join is most likely populating all records from the database. The join in the RDD prevents that. The join in SSRS is against the reporting tables after the RDD does its thing.

2 Likes

Depending on the structure of your data you might also use an OUTER or CROSS APPLY on the SSRS side to get rid of the “duplicate rows” with a TOP. Something like this:

OUTER APPLY (Select top 1 T3.Company, T3.TFOrdNum, T3.PickListComment, T3.ShipComment from TFOrdHed_" + Parameters!TableGuid.Value + " T3 where T3.Company = T2.Company and T3.TFOrdNum = T2.TFOrdNum) T3"

The advantage of this is you can keep the join on the RDD to keep the dataset leaner.

1 Like