Classic to Kinetic Upgrade Workflow

We upgraded from 10.2.700 to 2021.2.8 ten days ago (Woohoo! Was mostly smooth), and now I’m getting my feet wet with Kinetic. What’s the workflow that everyone follows to take their classic customizations, upgrade them to kinetic, and then deploy them?

There’s a lot of individual tools, but it all seems cobbled together for me, and I’m trying to get a handle on how to approach it better. So far I’ve got:

• AutoRun Conversion 180 - goes through customizations, and logs what the change is (sometimes helpful, often not, like ‘Layer is not created since customization was not converted’, with no more details).
  • Review in Configuration Upgrade Dashboard - This only shows company specific customizations, and leaves out All Company, which is the majority of what we have. Apparently it’s a legacy issue due to multi-tenant cloud.
  • Not Sure Here - Do I open Application Studio, find the Kinetic UI, and create the customization? Will Conversion 180 create layers for me to start with?
  • Menu Maintenance - Create a new menu item for the Kinetic App, assign same security as the classic one it’s replacing, select ‘Program Type: Kinetic’ and select the customization?
  • Kinetic Application Maintenance - Since support states I have to create a new menu anyway to assign the customization, what’s the point of assigning it here? Or is it for base applications only?
  • User Preferences - Get each user to change their preference from ‘User Choice’ to ‘Kinetic’.

This is WAY more manual than I expected, considering I’ll need to do this over a hundred times on multiple companies. What am I missing? I was hoping there’d be an Epicor document or ELC class showing the entire migration workflow start to user deployed finish, but I’ve only been able to find once that address specific tools.

Edit: Adding some other topics that address some of this.

5 Likes

Yes it is manual, yes you need to do it to each screen, technically that conversion gets you a layer with your customization on it but in my experience it has never worked yet in any kind of usable fashion.

Our approach is we open the classic customization throw this in there

Which highlights the visual changes then we manually re-create it in Kinetic.

3 Likes

Jose - Thanks. I’m looking forward to trying that function!

Once you’ve got the Kinetic customization layer finalized, how are you deploying it to your menus and users? Are you creating new Kinetic menus for every customization, as Epicor recommends? Or repointing the classic menu item to ProgramType=Kinetic, and then selecting the customization?

Yeah you have to its not easy to just update them in place. Plus we are deploying Kinetic UX to specific “personas” so we don’t want an in-place switch.

OK, at least it’s good to know I’m not off base. We’re following you guys down that same path…