CorVu installation

Joe, after I create my SQL Views/cubes, I pump the results to ASP.

I use this super cool app called ASP Runner Pro: http://xlinesoft.com/asprunnerpro/

Within minutes, after creating your cube/view, you can have a super slick web page up and running on your intranet under IIS or any webserver. With this, now the users have the power to sort, filter, export, print (export and print a selection or entire results). You can also multi-column sort, add security and resize columns. You can view multiple cubes and relate then and it does it very nicely... ie, when you wave your mouse over a detail record it will create a popup without having to drill into it.

I knew zero about ASP when I started this journey many years ago. You can really make some slick webpages and have them auto-refresh if you want. I have opted to use this vs. Vantage Dashboards exclusively now. Much “prettier”, intuitive and easy to use. And..., if you have a few Execs that only care about the data, then don’t install Vantage and burn a license. This all circumvents licensing and hits the DB directly.

I give them too much information and then let them trim it back to what they want.

This won’t permit users to create their own ad-hoc reports like SSRS in SQL 2008, but it’s easier to use IMO than CorVu and gives you more control. I’ve used this on Progress and SQL DB’s.

Sent: Thursday, October 27, 2011 11:50 AM
To: vantage@yahoogroups.com
Subject: RE: [Vantage] CorVu installation

Hi Vic,

I’ll check to see if CorVu is still Epicor’s BI tool. It was originally bought way back but we recently went live with Epicor 9.04 and now we are dusting it off.

The requirement is have a BI tool that is extended to users as opposed to having IT just create static reports.

I’d be fine with creating cubes in SQL Server but how do you get them in the hands of users for slicing and dicing?

From: mailto:vantage%40yahoogroups.com [mailto:mailto:vantage%40yahoogroups.com] On Behalf Of Vic Drecchio
Sent: Thursday, October 27, 2011 11:34 AM
To: mailto:vantage%40yahoogroups.com
Subject: Re: [Vantage] CorVu installation

Yikes, Joe, really? CorVu? I really didn’t think they (Epicor) were still selling that. I know this is after the fact, but see if you can give it back and get your money back. I see you have SQL already... Heck, with some degree of ease, you can create your own cubes via SQL Views and port it to ASP from SQL.

Or, if you are adamant about a BI tool, check out Pentaho (open-source....free.....no annual maint) http://www.pentaho.com/

But to answer your question, depending on your server’s horsepower, CorVu on that SQL server should be just fine.

Sent: Thursday, October 27, 2011 10:53 AM
To: mailto:vantage%40yahoogroups.com <mailto:vantage%40yahoogroups.com>
Subject: [Vantage] CorVu installation

Hi All,

We are moving forward with getting CorVu setup.

For those users of CorVu, did you find that you could do the
installation on your own or is it necessary to have Epicor do the
install?

Is it a difficult process to install?

Should it be install on its own server? We have a server that runs SQL
Server 2005 for Replication server and I'm thinking of installing it
there.

Any advice or tips would be appreciated.

Joe Rojas | Director of Information Technology | Mats Inc
dir: 781-573-0291 | cell: 781-408-9278 | fax: 781-232-5191
mailto:jrojas%40matsinc.com | www.matsinc.com Ask us about our clean, green and beautiful matting and flooring

This message is intended only for the individual named. If you are not the named addressee you should not disseminate, distribute or copy this e-mail. Please notify the sender immediately by e-mail if you have received this e-mail by mistake. Please note that any views or opinions presented in this email are solely those of the author and do not necessarily represent those of the company.

[Non-text portions of this message have been removed]

No virus found in this message.
Checked by AVG - www.avg.com
Version: 2012.0.1834 / Virus Database: 2092/4578 - Release Date: 10/27/11

mailto:jrojas%40matsinc.com | www.matsinc.com Ask us about our clean, green and beautiful matting and flooring

This message is intended only for the individual named. If you are not the named addressee you should not disseminate, distribute or copy this e-mail. Please notify the sender immediately by e-mail if you have received this e-mail by mistake. Please note that any views or opinions presented in this email are solely those of the author and do not necessarily represent those of the company.

Hi All,

install?

there.

jrojas@... | www.matsinc.com Ask us about our clean, green and beautiful matting and flooring

Yikes, Joe, really? CorVu? I really didn’t think they (Epicor) were still selling that. I know this is after the fact, but see if you can give it back and get your money back. I see you have SQL already... Heck, with some degree of ease, you can create your own cubes via SQL Views and port it to ASP from SQL.

Or, if you are adamant about a BI tool, check out Pentaho (open-source....free.....no annual maint) http://www.pentaho.com/

But to answer your question, depending on your server’s horsepower, CorVu on that SQL server should be just fine.

Hi All,

install?

there.

Hi Vic,

I’ll check to see if CorVu is still Epicor’s BI tool. It was originally bought way back but we recently went live with Epicor 9.04 and now we are dusting it off.

The requirement is have a BI tool that is extended to users as opposed to having IT just create static reports.

I’d be fine with creating cubes in SQL Server but how do you get them in the hands of users for slicing and dicing?

From: vantage@yahoogroups.com [mailto:vantage@yahoogroups.com] On Behalf Of Vic Drecchio
Sent: Thursday, October 27, 2011 11:34 AM
Subject: Re: [Vantage] CorVu installation

To: vantage@yahoogroups.com <mailto:vantage%40yahoogroups.com>

Hi All,

install?

there.

jrojas@... | www.matsinc.com Ask us about our clean, green and beautiful matting and flooring

Yes, Vic, Epicor is still selling it. They just had another webcast presentation on it earlier this week.

Joe: we just recently implemented CorVu; I'm just starting to create some proof-of-concept reports. We purchased CorVu when we bought Vantage (I'll plead not guilty, since it was before I got hired!), but it had never been installed. Our thinking was - well, it's already paid for and we now have some needs for BI - so let's go ahead and implement. We did pay for a couple of hours for training and implementation guidance, but we were able to do the actual implementation ourselves. The documentation leaves something to be desired, so you will be making some calls to Support.

The supporting infrastructure is clunky (understatement!) - 3 different pieces to manage. The standard interface is really ugly; the good news is that HyperVu makes it pretty and accessible in a browser, but the bad news is that it's another chunk of change to get THAT piece (they said that HyperVu itself was free, but the Epicor support to install it was not).

We're on Progress, so we don't have many options. Per Vic's suggestion, if you're on SQL, it's much easier to leverage that with some other options.

If you do decide to go ahead, contact me offline and I'll pass along whatever information I have.

Laraine

--- In vantage@yahoogroups.com, "Vic Drecchio" <vic.drecchio@...> wrote:
>
> Yikes, Joe, really? CorVu? I really didn’t think they (Epicor) were still selling that. I know this is after the fact, but see if you can give it back and get your money back. I see you have SQL already... Heck, with some degree of ease, you can create your own cubes via SQL Views and port it to ASP from SQL.
>
> Or, if you are adamant about a BI tool, check out Pentaho (open-source....free.....no annual maint) http://www.pentaho.com/
>
> But to answer your question, depending on your server’s horsepower, CorVu on that SQL server should be just fine.
>
>
>
> From: Joe Rojas
> Sent: Thursday, October 27, 2011 10:53 AM
> To: vantage@yahoogroups.com
> Subject: [Vantage] CorVu installation
>
>
> Hi All,
>
> We are moving forward with getting CorVu setup.
>
> For those users of CorVu, did you find that you could do the
> installation on your own or is it necessary to have Epicor do the
> install?
>
> Is it a difficult process to install?
>
> Should it be install on its own server? We have a server that runs SQL
> Server 2005 for Replication server and I'm thinking of installing it
> there.
>
> Any advice or tips would be appreciated.
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
> Joe Rojas | Director of Information Technology | Mats Inc
> dir: 781-573-0291 | cell: 781-408-9278 | fax: 781-232-5191
> mailto:jrojas%40matsinc.com | www.matsinc.com Ask us about our clean, green and beautiful matting and flooring
>
> This message is intended only for the individual named. If you are not the named addressee you should not disseminate, distribute or copy this e-mail. Please notify the sender immediately by e-mail if you have received this e-mail by mistake. Please note that any views or opinions presented in this email are solely those of the author and do not necessarily represent those of the company.
>
> [Non-text portions of this message have been removed]
>
>
>
>
> No virus found in this message.
> Checked by AVG - www.avg.com
> Version: 2012.0.1834 / Virus Database: 2092/4578 - Release Date: 10/27/11
>
>
> [Non-text portions of this message have been removed]