Costs hung up in WIP after PUR-ADJ transaction

Calvin,

I believe that the completed quantity being less than the production quantity is part of the problem.  Being responsible for reviewing and closing our jobs, I always make sure that the job demands equal activity (shipments/receipts to inventory).

To fix your problem, open job tracker, go to the operations list and determine which operation is checked as your final operation.  Calculate the variance in Run Qty vs. Qty Completed; that’s how many you’ll need to report in Job Adjustment.

In Job Adjustment, enter job number and operation step.  Enter employee # (I usually enter my own) and the needed Labor Qty.  Make sure the Complete box is checked and hit the Adjust button.

When you go to Job Closing, you shouldn’t get the warning.  If you run Inventory WIP Recon Report, you should see the MFG-VAR transactions that you’re looking for.

Hope this helps you.

----------------

Bill Kingsley

Controller

Compulink Corp.

ComDesign Inc.

Voice (727) 578-6503

Fax (727) 578-0120

CONFIDENTIALITY NOTICE

The information contained in this communication, including attachments, is privileged and confidential. It is intended only for the exclusive use of the addressee. If the reader of this message is not the intended recipient, or the employee or agent responsible for delivering it to the intended recipient, you are hereby notified that any dissemination, distribution or copying of this communication is strictly prohibited. If you have received this communication in error, please notify us at 727-578-6280 and immediately delete the communication.

"This (document/presentation) may contain technical data as defined in the International Traffic In Arms Regulations (ITAR) 22 CFR 120.10. Export of this material is restricted by the Arms Export Control Act (22 U.S.C. 2751 et seq.) and may not be exported to foreign persons without prior approval form the U.S. Department of State."
We have some costs hung up in WIP, from a PUR-ADJ transaction.
  • A Job was created (demand via a Sales Order)
  • A PO was placed for the materials for the job (line type Purch to Job)
  • The materials were received (debiting WIP crediting Accrued Recvngs)
  • The job was shipped (debiting A/R clearing, crediting WIP)
  • The suppliers invoice was entered, but the material costs were $10 less than what was on the PO (The PO value being what was debited to WIP upon their receipt).  This created a PUR-ADJ tran debiting WIP the difference.
  • Capture COS/WIP Activity was run (with Post to GL and Post COS/WIP both set to "Yes")
How do I get that $10 (diff between the PO and the Suppliers invoice) out of WIP?  

When we have a cost change to stocked material, it creates a ADJ-CST transaction (crediting/debiting our "RAW MATERIALS" and "INVENTORY ADJ" accounts (which keeps our Inventory value correct).  I thought the Capture COS/WIP process would create a transaction to one of the Variance accounts. 

P.S. In the Job Closing program, I get the warning "The completed qty is less than the production qty, continue?"  The Job Closing screen shows that the entire job qty was shipped.  Is this possibly part of the problem?

Thanks In Advance, 
Calvin
As a follow-up.....
1. The "PUR-ADJ" should have been "ADJ-PUR"
2. According to the "How does the system assign G/L account numbers to inventory transactions?" help topic, ADJ-PUR transactions should:
(DR) WIP Variance, Expense, Inspection, or DMR
(DR/CR) the Clearing Acct 
 Thanks