Crystal 8.5 File Linking Questions

Thanks. I will try that.

Sent: Tuesday, January 12, 2010 3:28 PM
To: vantage@yahoogroups.com
Subject: [Vantage] RE: Crystal 8.5 File Linking Questions

Instead of doing a make table query in Access, first do a delete query to get rid of the old data, and then do an append query to add the new data. This will preserve your table structure and indices.

Thom Rose
Controller
Electric Mirror LLC
HOTEL LUXURY

"The World Leader in Back-lit Mirrors & Mirror TV Technology"

T 425 776-4946
A 11831 Beverly Park Rd, Bldg D, Everett, WA 98204 USA
www.electricmirror.com<http://www.electricmirror.com>

From: vantage@yahoogroups.com<mailto:vantage%40yahoogroups.com> [mailto:vantage@yahoogroups.com<mailto:vantage%40yahoogroups.com>] On Behalf Of Todd Caughey
Sent: Tuesday, January 12, 2010 1:23 PM
To: vantage@yahoogroups.com<mailto:vantage%40yahoogroups.com>
Subject: [Vantage] Crystal 8.5 File Linking Questions

I am using Access (and ODBC) to run several make-table queries to dump Vantage data into tables that will later be access by Crystal Reports 8.5. The problem I have is the make-table type query deletes all table definition info every time it runs, including declared indexes. Crystal seems to want there to be indexes in order to join the Access database tables. I can't use the direct PUB_ tables because these are ODBC linked tables and this will be accessed by every shop floor data collection PC (to print WIP material tags). I can't give them direct ODBC access. I'll populate the tables that Crystal will use in a nightly batch update process.

Is there a way in Crystal to still link Access tables without declared indexes? Or within Access (2000) to add index info via Macro commands? I'm not a VB programmer so tend to try to keep things to the plain query or macro routine level.

Thanks,
Todd Caughey
Harvey Vogel Mfg. Co.

PS...on the former Access password question I found a folder security setting that was getting confused by Crystal as an Access security issue, hence the password prompt.

[Non-text portions of this message have been removed]

I am using Access (and ODBC) to run several make-table queries to dump Vantage data into tables that will later be access by Crystal Reports 8.5. The problem I have is the make-table type query deletes all table definition info every time it runs, including declared indexes. Crystal seems to want there to be indexes in order to join the Access database tables. I can't use the direct PUB_ tables because these are ODBC linked tables and this will be accessed by every shop floor data collection PC (to print WIP material tags). I can't give them direct ODBC access. I'll populate the tables that Crystal will use in a nightly batch update process.

Is there a way in Crystal to still link Access tables without declared indexes? Or within Access (2000) to add index info via Macro commands? I'm not a VB programmer so tend to try to keep things to the plain query or macro routine level.

Thanks,
Todd Caughey
Harvey Vogel Mfg. Co.

PS...on the former Access password question I found a folder security setting that was getting confused by Crystal as an Access security issue, hence the password prompt.

Instead of doing a make table query in Access, first do a delete query to get rid of the old data, and then do an append query to add the new data. This will preserve your table structure and indices.

Thom Rose
Controller
Electric Mirror LLC
HOTEL LUXURY

"The World Leader in Back-lit Mirrors & Mirror TV Technology"

T 425 776-4946
A 11831 Beverly Park Rd, Bldg D, Everett, WA 98204 USA
www.electricmirror.com<http://www.electricmirror.com>

From: vantage@yahoogroups.com [mailto:vantage@yahoogroups.com] On Behalf Of Todd Caughey
Sent: Tuesday, January 12, 2010 1:23 PM
To: vantage@yahoogroups.com

Thanks,
Todd Caughey
Harvey Vogel Mfg. Co.

Just an idea, but once you have the indexes set up, couldn't you do a "delete all records" and then an "append to table" each time instead of a make table. Since you are not deleting the table definitions each time, the indexes should stay intact.

Sent: Tue, January 12, 2010 4:22:49 PM

Â

Thanks,
Todd Caughey
Harvey Vogel Mfg. Co.