Cust Ship Entry - Purpose of ShipTo Dropdown

Charlie, good info and tip.  Thanks!  Makes sense.

From: vantage@yahoogroups.com [mailto:vantage@yahoogroups.com] On Behalf Of Charlie Smith
Sent: Friday, April 11, 2014 11:39 AM
To: vantage@yahoogroups.com
Subject: RE: [Vantage] Cust Ship Entry - Purpose of ShipTo Dropdown

The reason for this is that there are cases when you don't know where the shipment is going until it's time to ship. Aircraft Mfgs are good for this in that you don't know which plant or receiving dock thay have it scheduled to ship to until you get a shipping release.
This was a functionality long fought for by many companies.

This functionality can be turned off in the company - sales order - shipping section - "allow Change Shipping Address" checkbox.

Charlie Smith
ESSNER Manufacturing, L.P.
6651 Will Rogers Blvd.
Fort Worth, TX 76140
csmith@...<mailto:csmith@...>
ph: (817) 529-6165
fx: (817) 568-2625

From: vantage@yahoogroups.com [mailto:vantage@yahoogroups.com] On Behalf Of Vic Drecchio
Sent: Friday, April 11, 2014 10:27 AM
To: 'Vantage Yahoo'
Subject: [Vantage] Cust Ship Entry - Purpose of ShipTo Dropdown

We had something happen last week that hasn't happened before in 7 years, so it prompted me to research. Our Shipping Clerk created a new Pack. He inadvertently clicked on the Drop Down box above the ShipTo on the Summary tab and he somehow selected a different ShipTo that now didn't equal the Sales Order ShipTo. And if he didn't cross reference the paperwork, he may have easily shipped to the wrong ShipTo.

What I can't figure out is that this isn't possible to do all the time In Cust Ship Entry. Just on some Orders and it doesn't seem to have anything to do whether or not the Order has a different ShipTo (vs just shipping it to the SoldTo).

So while I can't figure out why some orders allow this and some do not, but it just leads me to the general question of WHY is this functionality even present? What would be the reason for wanting to change the ShipTo on the fly at the time of Shipment?

I created a quick BPM alert that yells at the shippers if they ever do this again.. but then I'm thinking, why even have that dropdown ShipTo box at all? I may just hide it via customization.

[Non-text portions of this message have been removed]

We had something happen last week that hasn't happened before in 7 years, so it prompted me to research.  Our Shipping Clerk created a new Pack.  He inadvertently clicked on the Drop Down box above the ShipTo on the Summary tab and he somehow selected a different ShipTo that now didn't equal the Sales Order ShipTo.  And if he didn't cross reference the paperwork, he may have easily shipped to the wrong ShipTo.

What I can't figure out is that this isn't possible to do all the time In Cust Ship Entry.  Just on some Orders and it doesn't seem to have anything to do whether or not the Order has a different ShipTo (vs just shipping it to the SoldTo).

So while I can't figure out why some orders allow this and some do not, but it just leads me to the general question of WHY is this functionality even present?  What would be the reason for wanting to change the ShipTo on the fly at the time of Shipment?

I created a quick BPM alert that yells at the shippers if they ever do this again.. but then I'm thinking, why even have that dropdown ShipTo box at all?  I may just hide it via customization.

The reason for this is that there are cases when you don't know where the shipment is going until it's time to ship. Aircraft Mfgs are good for this in that you don't know which plant or receiving dock thay have it scheduled to ship to until you get a shipping release.
This was a functionality long fought for by many companies.

This functionality can be turned off in the company - sales order - shipping section - "allow Change Shipping Address" checkbox.

Charlie Smith
ESSNER Manufacturing, L.P.
6651 Will Rogers Blvd.
Fort Worth, TX 76140
csmith@...<mailto:csmith@...>
ph: (817) 529-6165
fx: (817) 568-2625

From: vantage@yahoogroups.com [mailto:vantage@yahoogroups.com] On Behalf Of Vic Drecchio
Sent: Friday, April 11, 2014 10:27 AM
To: 'Vantage Yahoo'
Subject: [Vantage] Cust Ship Entry - Purpose of ShipTo Dropdown

We had something happen last week that hasn't happened before in 7 years, so it prompted me to research. Our Shipping Clerk created a new Pack. He inadvertently clicked on the Drop Down box above the ShipTo on the Summary tab and he somehow selected a different ShipTo that now didn't equal the Sales Order ShipTo. And if he didn't cross reference the paperwork, he may have easily shipped to the wrong ShipTo.

What I can't figure out is that this isn't possible to do all the time In Cust Ship Entry. Just on some Orders and it doesn't seem to have anything to do whether or not the Order has a different ShipTo (vs just shipping it to the SoldTo).

So while I can't figure out why some orders allow this and some do not, but it just leads me to the general question of WHY is this functionality even present? What would be the reason for wanting to change the ShipTo on the fly at the time of Shipment?

I created a quick BPM alert that yells at the shippers if they ever do this again.. but then I'm thinking, why even have that dropdown ShipTo box at all? I may just hide it via customization.

[Non-text portions of this message have been removed]