Custom Assembly / DLL

Hi all,
We currently use a custom dll which has a number of applications written in VB some are launched from Epicor using a customized UD table as a wrapper and others are launched from a custom button on a form. I have been informed that as Epicor is changing from .NET Framework to .NET Core that this functionality will no longer be available by the time Kinetic 2023.2 is released.
I’m obviously concerned about the amount of development work this would entail and was wondering if anyone else has looked into this and if you have any advice?

Thanks

^ :confounded:

Epicor is walking away from windows completely and going browser based so in reality weather they go to .Net core or not, you need to re-write these since eventually (similar timeline) it won’t work either way.

You can likely reuse your business logic, but you will have to redo the UI. What I would recommend doing is porting your UI to a .Net 4.8 ASP.NET application. This way you can still reference your old library, and present the screens as web pages, that you can easily link to from Kinetics, or even show in a browser component in winforms.

It’s still probably a lot of work, but at least you don’t need to touch the mission-critical business logic code.

Also, to be fair it’s not just Epicor that’s changing… .NET 5.0 itself is now an extension of .NET Core, using netcoreapp and netstandard monikers. So no more VB6 interop going forward!