Customer Supplied Parts

Hi Jared,

We, too, have been looking into this.
1. Take a look at the Group Discussion started 3-24-2010 on Customer Owned Material. I got a lot of good ideas from this.
2. Additional information from Vantage Users Group ListServ during same time period, if you're a member.
3. Apparently Epicor 9 tackles customer-owned/provided material, with inventory and other functions.

Hope this helps -
Laraine

--- In vantage@yahoogroups.com, "k99ja04" <jallmond@...> wrote:
>
> Has anyone tackled customers supplying raw parts and then returning them value-added? We are a coatings company, and while some things are make to stock using purchased parts, the majority of our work is using the customer part (and their part number) and adding the coating part number in engineering workbench as materials. Sometimes we will actually enter the customer part number (and add it to BOM), and then our finished good part will have customer part plus an appended coatings code. Most times the customer part is just typed in to a quote, and never actually entered in part master.
>
> To date, we have taken the approach that since we didn't buy the parts, there really is no accounting drive to track them. What we are running into is that materials arrive, and there is sometimes a paperwork disconnect and the scheduler doesn't know parts are onsite so jobs don't get scheduled.
>
> Since receipt transactions want to start with a PO with defined lines, the only solution I see is to enter the customer both as a customer, and as a supplier. Then we would have to enter the customer part as a purchased part at no cost, and then generate a PO. This is essentially double the data entry.
>
> I could cobble together some application to help with notifications, (even an email would be better than the present paper and pencil approach) but I wanted to pick the community brain on if this can be handled within Vantage.
>
> Any other thoughts?
> Thanks,
> Jared
>
Has anyone tackled customers supplying raw parts and then returning them value-added? We are a coatings company, and while some things are make to stock using purchased parts, the majority of our work is using the customer part (and their part number) and adding the coating part number in engineering workbench as materials. Sometimes we will actually enter the customer part number (and add it to BOM), and then our finished good part will have customer part plus an appended coatings code. Most times the customer part is just typed in to a quote, and never actually entered in part master.

To date, we have taken the approach that since we didn't buy the parts, there really is no accounting drive to track them. What we are running into is that materials arrive, and there is sometimes a paperwork disconnect and the scheduler doesn't know parts are onsite so jobs don't get scheduled.

Since receipt transactions want to start with a PO with defined lines, the only solution I see is to enter the customer both as a customer, and as a supplier. Then we would have to enter the customer part as a purchased part at no cost, and then generate a PO. This is essentially double the data entry.

I could cobble together some application to help with notifications, (even an email would be better than the present paper and pencil approach) but I wanted to pick the community brain on if this can be handled within Vantage.

Any other thoughts?
Thanks,
Jared