Date, DateTime, or String for custom field?

I am building out a solution where I need to store a date time on a custom field on the QuoteHed.
The contents of the field will be a datetime passed to it from another application, but I am struggling deciding what data type to make it.

It needs to be nullable or at least set to blank AND it needs to be able to be parsed in order to compare the field value to another date time.

Pros/cons?

I think it’s a shoe in for either Date or DateTime. Your data type should closely match your form fit and function. A datetime will be nullable friendly for sure and you get a lot of .net functionality surrounding that data type. If you truly are going to use the time component for something useful, then go that way. Otherwise stick with just the Date. I’m sure this is one of those things where it’s not an absolute but that’s the way I’d go.

Thank you for the response. I’ll be sending the datetime from the other application in a JSON string with ISO 8601 formatting, so I think that’s relatively straightfoward to put into a UD field if I do it correctly. I just wasn’t sure if by doing that, I am asking for trouble with clearing that field value when the time comes