E10: Product Configurator - Setting input values on Field Valida

Thanks Jose. I had read the tech guide but for some I interpreted it to mean that On Field Changed was server side.
It was the part about “…while it is in focus and saved during an actual configuration session.”. The word “saved” sounded like a database save, which I assumed would be server side.

I will test further.

Joe Rojas | Director of Information Technology | Mats Inc
dir: 781-573-0291 | cell: 781-408-9278 | fax: 781-232-5191

addr: 179 Campanelli Pkwy | Stoughton | MA | 02072-3734
jrojas@... | www.matsinc.com
Ask us about our clean, green and beautiful matting and flooring

[cid:a949c1.png@e3286a32.41a9b6b9]
This message is intended only for the individual named. If you are not the named addressee you should not disseminate, distribute or copy this e-mail. Please notify the sender immediately by e-mail if you have received this e-mail by mistake. Please note that any views or opinions presented in this email are solely those of the author and do not necessarily represent those of the company.

From: vantage@yahoogroups.com [mailto:vantage@yahoogroups.com]
Sent: Thursday, March 19, 2015 10:39 AM
To: Vantage
Subject: Re: [Vantage] E10: Product Configurator - Setting input values on Field Validating

Not sure about configurator per-say but standard behavior is is as follows]

Validating occurs when you (exit/leave) a field ,whether its changed or not
OnFieldChanged occurs when the field changes

Both of these are client side calls, though the execution may require the server to give you some data.

Jose C Gomez
Software Engineer

T: 904.469.1524 mobile
E: jose@...<mailto:jose@...>
http://www.josecgomez.com
[Image removed by sender.]<http://www.linkedin.com/in/josecgomez> [Image removed by sender.] <http://www.facebook.com/josegomez> [Image removed by sender.] <http://www.google.com/profiles/jose.gomez> [Image removed by sender.] <http://www.twitter.com/joc85> [Image removed by sender.] <http://www.josecgomez.com/professional-resume/> [Image removed by sender.] <http://www.josecgomez.com/feed/>

Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?

On Thu, Mar 19, 2015 at 10:30 AM, Joe Rojas jrojas@...<mailto:jrojas@...> [vantage] <vantage@yahoogroups.com<mailto:vantage@yahoogroups.com>> wrote:

Hello,

My understanding is that an inputs “On Field Validating” action is fired when the field changes and is run on the client side and the “On Field Changed” action is fired when the field changes and is run on the server side.

My hope was that I could change the value of another input then the user selects a value from a combo box and have this run on the client side so that it can happen faster than waiting for the server to process the request.

When I tried this, I got an error that said I cannot update an input value on Field Validating and must happen on Field Changed.
This is kind of a bummer but I just want to make sure I understand correctly.

dir: 781-573-0291<tel:781-573-0291> | cell: 781-408-9278<tel:781-408-9278> | fax: 781-232-5191<tel:781-232-5191>

jrojas@...<mailto:jrojas@...> | www.matsinc.com<http://www.matsinc.com>

[cid:56da57.png@f018312d.4db269fd]
This message is intended only for the individual named. If you are not the named addressee you should not disseminate, distribute or copy this e-mail. Please notify the sender immediately by e-mail if you have received this e-mail by mistake. Please note that any views or opinions presented in this email are solely those of the author and do not necessarily represent those of the company.

[Non-text portions of this message have been removed]

Hello,

My understanding is that an inputs “On Field Validating” action is fired when the field changes and is run on the client side and the “On Field Changed” action is fired when the field changes and is run on the server side.

My hope was that I could change the value of another input then the user selects a value from a combo box and have this run on the client side so that it can happen faster than waiting for the server to process the request.

When I tried this, I got an error that said I cannot update an input value on Field Validating and must happen on Field Changed.

So I went to the Tech Guide and this is what it says about both of those events. Looks like both are client side, one happens after the field changes and one during.

• On Field Changed - This action triggers when you change the value of the specified control on an input
page while it is in focus and saved during an actual configuration session. Compared to the On Field Validation
action, which is triggered when you change the value of the specified control on the page while the page is
in focus, prior to saving the value, the change already happened. The On Field Changed action does not
trigger any other actions unless specifically defined as an action.
• On Field Validating - This action triggers when you change the value of the specified control on an input
page while the page is in focus, prior to saving the value during an actual configuration session. Compared
to the On Field Changed action, you can still prevent the change. The field validation action does not trigger
any other actions unless specifically defined as an action

Jose C Gomez
Software Engineer

On Thu, Mar 19, 2015 at 10:38 AM, Jose Gomez <jose@...> wrote:

Both of these are client side calls, though the execution may require the server to give you some data.

Jose C Gomez
Software Engineer

On Thu, Mar 19, 2015 at 10:30 AM, Joe Rojas jrojas@... [vantage] <vantage@yahoogroups.com> wrote:

Â
<div>

<p>Hello,

</div>

<div style="color:#fff;min-height:0;"></div>

Jose C Gomez
Software Engineer

On Thu, Mar 19, 2015 at 10:30 AM, Joe Rojas jrojas@... [vantage] <vantage@yahoogroups.com> wrote:

Â
<div>

<p>Hello,

</div>

<div style="color:#fff;min-height:0;"></div>