E9 Maintenance Module

Try to create a maintenance plan for a piece of equipment, it won't do so unless you provide a topic. So, they are in fact required.

I'll be setting one by BPM as a dummy generic entry.

--- In vantage@yahoogroups.com, "greg_clauser" <gclauser@...> wrote:
>
> Actually, Topics are in fact kind of optional. It just makes you have one as a default.
>
> Greg
>
> --- In vantage@yahoogroups.com, "pbparker" <scrumbus@> wrote:
> >
> > Ahh yes, Topics. We're just in the process of implementing this module ourselves and I really can't see the point of the topics.
> >
> > I can't see how they can be useful really, it would be far more useful if they weren't so restrictive and you could simply select multiple to give tags to the job type.
> >
> > At this point, I'd prefer not to use them at all, yet in some cases they're required (in spite of the help saying they're optional).
> >
> > --- In vantage@yahoogroups.com, "greg_clauser" <gclauser@> wrote:
> > >
> > > Rob,
> > >
> > > Wondering if you found any workarounds for any of these problems. We've spent a lot of time trying to figure out the best way to set things up and tying operations to resources has me stumped.
> > >
> > > If I have 10 machines that are all 3 axis mills I can make an operation like 'Change Oil' and tie it to a resource group. I can also make one PM job template and use it for all resources in the group but if I need to need a change oil operation for a 4 axis machine I need a "4X Change Oil" operation.
> > >
> > > All in all however, making and scheduling PM jobs is not a show stopper. I am having dificulty assigning maintenance work to individual Techs and having them see a job queue in MES but I'm thinking I just have to figure that out.
> > >
> > > What I'm having the most trouble with is maintenance jobs. Since one does not really know what needs to be done when a repair request is made, I have a default repair job with just one operation (eg: Evaluate Problem). Not sure how or who should add other operations and/or materials to such a job.
> > >
> > > Having maintenance people that can work in any of our 5 plants on any one day creates another level of complexity that Epicor cannot really handle. I have to create each crew member as a resource in each plant sonce I cannot use a resource from one plant in another plant. Screws up keeping track of hours too.
> > >
> > > "Topics" is a whole other issue. Looks like they should be useful in a decision tree kind of way but I see no way to use them in labor entry.
> > >
> > > Greg
> > >
> > > --- In vantage@yahoogroups.com, Rob Bucek <rbucek@> wrote:
> > > >
> > > > I just purchased that module recently and am in the middle of implementing it. So far (and I had the first impressions you did) as usual the devil is in the details, and I'm Highly Underwhelmed at this point. There are two critical areas that were not very well thought out at all. The first is components, where you list individual parts/assemblies/or major subcomponents of a larger or main piece of equipment. Some genius thought it would be a good idea to design it so you had to tell the component its parent equipment ID, now you are hosed if this is a component that is common across more than one piece of equipment. Say you had a spindle drawbar on a vertical machining center used across several machine tools... you can only establish it under one! The other lackluster feature is in scheduling. In order for it to block out production time in the schedule when the machine is being used for preventative or reactive maintenance you have to tie the resource which is tied to the equipment ID directly to the maintenance operation. This sounds reasonable at first, but instead of the software just looking through the equipment ID on the job and the resource tied to the equipment ID in the set up, you now have to create an operation per piece of equipment. So if you have 70 pieces of equipment, you have to have 70 operations to cover this (and for each type of operation you may want). The really irritating this is, if you have say 3 production machines, they are all the same, you'll have to have 3 separate operations (all identical save for the different resources tied to them). In my mind this will be a nightmare for maintenance guys to keep straight... That's what I've found so far... Over all this is a pretty new module for them, and as a result is a bit more shallow than you'd think given the demos you probably saw.
> > > >
> > > >
> > > >
> > > > Rob Bucek
> > > > Production Control Manager
> > > > PH: (715) 284-5376 ext 311
> > > > Mobile: (715)896-4832
> > > > FAX: (715)284-4084
> > > > [cid:1.234354861@]<http://www.dsmfg.com/>
> > > > (Click the logo to view our site)<http://www.dsmfg.com/>
> > > >
> > > > From: vantage@yahoogroups.com [mailto:vantage@yahoogroups.com] On Behalf Of cesatlanta
> > > > Sent: Wednesday, December 05, 2012 9:29 AM
> > > > To: vantage@yahoogroups.com
> > > > Subject: [Vantage] E9 Maintenance Module
> > > >
> > > >
> > > >
> > > > We are considering the addition of the Maintenance module to schedule and track tooling and equipment maintenance. Of course we went through the Demo and it worked "seemlessly and flawlessly".
> > > >
> > > > Does anybody have any experience with it, good or bad. Our other option is to get a third party solution and interface through service connect. Any opinions on this alternative are also welcome.
> > > >
> > > >
> > > >
> > > > [Non-text portions of this message have been removed]
> > > >
> > >
> >
>
We are considering the addition of the Maintenance module to schedule and track tooling and equipment maintenance. Of course we went through the Demo and it worked "seemlessly and flawlessly".

Does anybody have any experience with it, good or bad. Our other option is to get a third party solution and interface through service connect. Any opinions on this alternative are also welcome.
I just purchased that module recently and am in the middle of implementing it. So far (and I had the first impressions you did) as usual the devil is in the details, and I'm Highly Underwhelmed at this point. There are two critical areas that were not very well thought out at all. The first is components, where you list individual parts/assemblies/or major subcomponents of a larger or main piece of equipment. Some genius thought it would be a good idea to design it so you had to tell the component its parent equipment ID, now you are hosed if this is a component that is common across more than one piece of equipment. Say you had a spindle drawbar on a vertical machining center used across several machine tools... you can only establish it under one! The other lackluster feature is in scheduling. In order for it to block out production time in the schedule when the machine is being used for preventative or reactive maintenance you have to tie the resource which is tied to the equipment ID directly to the maintenance operation. This sounds reasonable at first, but instead of the software just looking through the equipment ID on the job and the resource tied to the equipment ID in the set up, you now have to create an operation per piece of equipment. So if you have 70 pieces of equipment, you have to have 70 operations to cover this (and for each type of operation you may want). The really irritating this is, if you have say 3 production machines, they are all the same, you'll have to have 3 separate operations (all identical save for the different resources tied to them). In my mind this will be a nightmare for maintenance guys to keep straight... That's what I've found so far... Over all this is a pretty new module for them, and as a result is a bit more shallow than you'd think given the demos you probably saw.

Rob Bucek
Production Control Manager
PH: (715) 284-5376 ext 311
Mobile: (715)896-4832
FAX: (715)284-4084
[cid:1.234354861@...]<http://www.dsmfg.com/>
(Click the logo to view our site)<http://www.dsmfg.com/>

From: vantage@yahoogroups.com [mailto:vantage@yahoogroups.com] On Behalf Of cesatlanta
Sent: Wednesday, December 05, 2012 9:29 AM
To: vantage@yahoogroups.com
Subject: [Vantage] E9 Maintenance Module

We are considering the addition of the Maintenance module to schedule and track tooling and equipment maintenance. Of course we went through the Demo and it worked "seemlessly and flawlessly".

Does anybody have any experience with it, good or bad. Our other option is to get a third party solution and interface through service connect. Any opinions on this alternative are also welcome.

[Non-text portions of this message have been removed]
That's what my spidey senses were telling me. The last thing I want to do is to take the wrenches out of these guys hands and tie them to a keyboard. That would defeat the entire purpose of the exercise.

Has anybody successfully bolted on a 3rd party CMMS package that can pull cycle/usage data from Epicor to drive PM events?

--- In vantage@yahoogroups.com, Rob Bucek <rbucek@...> wrote:
>
> I just purchased that module recently and am in the middle of implementing it. So far (and I had the first impressions you did) as usual the devil is in the details, and I'm Highly Underwhelmed at this point. There are two critical areas that were not very well thought out at all. The first is components, where you list individual parts/assemblies/or major subcomponents of a larger or main piece of equipment. Some genius thought it would be a good idea to design it so you had to tell the component its parent equipment ID, now you are hosed if this is a component that is common across more than one piece of equipment. Say you had a spindle drawbar on a vertical machining center used across several machine tools... you can only establish it under one! The other lackluster feature is in scheduling. In order for it to block out production time in the schedule when the machine is being used for preventative or reactive maintenance you have to tie the resource which is tied to the equipment ID directly to the maintenance operation. This sounds reasonable at first, but instead of the software just looking through the equipment ID on the job and the resource tied to the equipment ID in the set up, you now have to create an operation per piece of equipment. So if you have 70 pieces of equipment, you have to have 70 operations to cover this (and for each type of operation you may want). The really irritating this is, if you have say 3 production machines, they are all the same, you'll have to have 3 separate operations (all identical save for the different resources tied to them). In my mind this will be a nightmare for maintenance guys to keep straight... That's what I've found so far... Over all this is a pretty new module for them, and as a result is a bit more shallow than you'd think given the demos you probably saw.
>
>
>
> Rob Bucek
> Production Control Manager
> PH: (715) 284-5376 ext 311
> Mobile: (715)896-4832
> FAX: (715)284-4084
> [cid:1.234354861@...]<http://www.dsmfg.com/>
> (Click the logo to view our site)<http://www.dsmfg.com/>
>
> From: vantage@yahoogroups.com [mailto:vantage@yahoogroups.com] On Behalf Of cesatlanta
> Sent: Wednesday, December 05, 2012 9:29 AM
> To: vantage@yahoogroups.com
> Subject: [Vantage] E9 Maintenance Module
>
>
>
> We are considering the addition of the Maintenance module to schedule and track tooling and equipment maintenance. Of course we went through the Demo and it worked "seemlessly and flawlessly".
>
> Does anybody have any experience with it, good or bad. Our other option is to get a third party solution and interface through service connect. Any opinions on this alternative are also welcome.
>
>
>
> [Non-text portions of this message have been removed]
>
I'm also just starting to implement but in a multi-plant environment.
With Maintenance Operations having to reference Resources, the Equipment
(location) resources are plant specific. However, the people resource of
a 'Maintenance Crew' or 'Maintenance Tech A' in our case needs to be
able to work in any of the plants where they happen to be needed that
day.

Support has no suggestions, anyone else run in to this?

Greg

--- In vantage@yahoogroups.com, Rob Bucek wrote:
>
> I just purchased that module recently and am in the middle of
implementing it. So far (and I had the first impressions you did) as
usual the devil is in the details, and I'm Highly Underwhelmed at this
point. There are two critical areas that were not very well thought out
at all. The first is components, where you list individual
parts/assemblies/or major subcomponents of a larger or main piece of
equipment. Some genius thought it would be a good idea to design it so
you had to tell the component its parent equipment ID, now you are hosed
if this is a component that is common across more than one piece of
equipment. Say you had a spindle drawbar on a vertical machining center
used across several machine tools... you can only establish it under
one! The other lackluster feature is in scheduling. In order for it to
block out production time in the schedule when the machine is being used
for preventative or reactive maintenance you have to tie the resource
which is tied to the equipment ID directly to the maintenance operation.
This sounds reasonable at first, but instead of the software just
looking through the equipment ID on the job and the resource tied to the
equipment ID in the set up, you now have to create an operation per
piece of equipment. So if you have 70 pieces of equipment, you have to
have 70 operations to cover this (and for each type of operation you may
want). The really irritating this is, if you have say 3 production
machines, they are all the same, you'll have to have 3 separate
operations (all identical save for the different resources tied to
them). In my mind this will be a nightmare for maintenance guys to keep
straight... That's what I've found so far... Over all this is a pretty
new module for them, and as a result is a bit more shallow than you'd
think given the demos you probably saw.
>
>
>
> Rob Bucek
> [cid:1.234354861@...]
> (Click the logo to view our site)
>
> From: vantage@yahoogroups.com [mailto:vantage@yahoogroups.com] On
Behalf Of cesatlanta
>
>
>
> We are considering the addition of the Maintenance module to schedule
and track tooling and equipment maintenance. Of course we went through
the Demo and it worked "seemlessly and flawlessly".
>
> Does anybody have any experience with it, good or bad. Our other
option is to get a third party solution and interface through service
connect. Any opinions on this alternative are also welcome.
>
>
>
>
Rob,

Wondering if you found any workarounds for any of these problems. We've spent a lot of time trying to figure out the best way to set things up and tying operations to resources has me stumped.

If I have 10 machines that are all 3 axis mills I can make an operation like 'Change Oil' and tie it to a resource group. I can also make one PM job template and use it for all resources in the group but if I need to need a change oil operation for a 4 axis machine I need a "4X Change Oil" operation.

All in all however, making and scheduling PM jobs is not a show stopper. I am having dificulty assigning maintenance work to individual Techs and having them see a job queue in MES but I'm thinking I just have to figure that out.

What I'm having the most trouble with is maintenance jobs. Since one does not really know what needs to be done when a repair request is made, I have a default repair job with just one operation (eg: Evaluate Problem). Not sure how or who should add other operations and/or materials to such a job.

Having maintenance people that can work in any of our 5 plants on any one day creates another level of complexity that Epicor cannot really handle. I have to create each crew member as a resource in each plant sonce I cannot use a resource from one plant in another plant. Screws up keeping track of hours too.

"Topics" is a whole other issue. Looks like they should be useful in a decision tree kind of way but I see no way to use them in labor entry.

Greg

--- In vantage@yahoogroups.com, Rob Bucek <rbucek@...> wrote:
>
> I just purchased that module recently and am in the middle of implementing it. So far (and I had the first impressions you did) as usual the devil is in the details, and I'm Highly Underwhelmed at this point. There are two critical areas that were not very well thought out at all. The first is components, where you list individual parts/assemblies/or major subcomponents of a larger or main piece of equipment. Some genius thought it would be a good idea to design it so you had to tell the component its parent equipment ID, now you are hosed if this is a component that is common across more than one piece of equipment. Say you had a spindle drawbar on a vertical machining center used across several machine tools... you can only establish it under one! The other lackluster feature is in scheduling. In order for it to block out production time in the schedule when the machine is being used for preventative or reactive maintenance you have to tie the resource which is tied to the equipment ID directly to the maintenance operation. This sounds reasonable at first, but instead of the software just looking through the equipment ID on the job and the resource tied to the equipment ID in the set up, you now have to create an operation per piece of equipment. So if you have 70 pieces of equipment, you have to have 70 operations to cover this (and for each type of operation you may want). The really irritating this is, if you have say 3 production machines, they are all the same, you'll have to have 3 separate operations (all identical save for the different resources tied to them). In my mind this will be a nightmare for maintenance guys to keep straight... That's what I've found so far... Over all this is a pretty new module for them, and as a result is a bit more shallow than you'd think given the demos you probably saw.
>
>
>
> Rob Bucek
>
> From: vantage@yahoogroups.com [mailto:vantage@yahoogroups.com] On Behalf Of cesatlanta
>
>
>
> We are considering the addition of the Maintenance module to schedule and track tooling and equipment maintenance. Of course we went through the Demo and it worked "seemlessly and flawlessly".
>
> Does anybody have any experience with it, good or bad. Our other option is to get a third party solution and interface through service connect. Any opinions on this alternative are also welcome.
>
>
>
>
To a bunch of it I actually have... I have mobile updateable dashboards built (we call it maintenance manager) you can assign jobs, assign maint requests, it updates job priorities, due dates etc.. and in turn have global visibility to assignments, requests waiting to be approved etc... maybe we should talk offline and see what we can come up with together.. I haven't solved it all yet either but im chipping away at it. The module is pretty 'green' in my eyes, and some of the logic and structure is absolutely backwards and extremely limited in function. But... there's a great tool set available to salvage the investment lol

Rob Bucek

From: vantage@yahoogroups.com [mailto:vantage@yahoogroups.com] On Behalf Of greg_clauser
Sent: Monday, April 15, 2013 2:37 PM
Subject: [Vantage] Re: E9 Maintenance Module

Rob,

Wondering if you found any workarounds for any of these problems. We've spent a lot of time trying to figure out the best way to set things up and tying operations to resources has me stumped.

If I have 10 machines that are all 3 axis mills I can make an operation like 'Change Oil' and tie it to a resource group. I can also make one PM job template and use it for all resources in the group but if I need to need a change oil operation for a 4 axis machine I need a "4X Change Oil" operation.

All in all however, making and scheduling PM jobs is not a show stopper. I am having dificulty assigning maintenance work to individual Techs and having them see a job queue in MES but I'm thinking I just have to figure that out.

What I'm having the most trouble with is maintenance jobs. Since one does not really know what needs to be done when a repair request is made, I have a default repair job with just one operation (eg: Evaluate Problem). Not sure how or who should add other operations and/or materials to such a job.

Having maintenance people that can work in any of our 5 plants on any one day creates another level of complexity that Epicor cannot really handle. I have to create each crew member as a resource in each plant sonce I cannot use a resource from one plant in another plant. Screws up keeping track of hours too.

"Topics" is a whole other issue. Looks like they should be useful in a decision tree kind of way but I see no way to use them in labor entry.

Greg

--- In vantage@yahoogroups.com<mailto:vantage%40yahoogroups.com>, Rob Bucek <rbucek@...> wrote:
>
>
>
>
> Rob Bucek
>
> From: vantage@yahoogroups.com<mailto:vantage%40yahoogroups.com> [mailto:vantage@yahoogroups.com<mailto:vantage%40yahoogroups.com>] On Behalf Of cesatlanta
> To: vantage@yahoogroups.com<mailto:vantage%40yahoogroups.com>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>

Ahh yes, Topics. We're just in the process of implementing this module ourselves and I really can't see the point of the topics.

I can't see how they can be useful really, it would be far more useful if they weren't so restrictive and you could simply select multiple to give tags to the job type.

At this point, I'd prefer not to use them at all, yet in some cases they're required (in spite of the help saying they're optional).

--- In vantage@yahoogroups.com, "greg_clauser" <gclauser@...> wrote:
>
> Rob,
>
> Wondering if you found any workarounds for any of these problems. We've spent a lot of time trying to figure out the best way to set things up and tying operations to resources has me stumped.
>
> If I have 10 machines that are all 3 axis mills I can make an operation like 'Change Oil' and tie it to a resource group. I can also make one PM job template and use it for all resources in the group but if I need to need a change oil operation for a 4 axis machine I need a "4X Change Oil" operation.
>
> All in all however, making and scheduling PM jobs is not a show stopper. I am having dificulty assigning maintenance work to individual Techs and having them see a job queue in MES but I'm thinking I just have to figure that out.
>
> What I'm having the most trouble with is maintenance jobs. Since one does not really know what needs to be done when a repair request is made, I have a default repair job with just one operation (eg: Evaluate Problem). Not sure how or who should add other operations and/or materials to such a job.
>
> Having maintenance people that can work in any of our 5 plants on any one day creates another level of complexity that Epicor cannot really handle. I have to create each crew member as a resource in each plant sonce I cannot use a resource from one plant in another plant. Screws up keeping track of hours too.
>
> "Topics" is a whole other issue. Looks like they should be useful in a decision tree kind of way but I see no way to use them in labor entry.
>
> Greg
>
> --- In vantage@yahoogroups.com, Rob Bucek <rbucek@> wrote:
> >
> > I just purchased that module recently and am in the middle of implementing it. So far (and I had the first impressions you did) as usual the devil is in the details, and I'm Highly Underwhelmed at this point. There are two critical areas that were not very well thought out at all. The first is components, where you list individual parts/assemblies/or major subcomponents of a larger or main piece of equipment. Some genius thought it would be a good idea to design it so you had to tell the component its parent equipment ID, now you are hosed if this is a component that is common across more than one piece of equipment. Say you had a spindle drawbar on a vertical machining center used across several machine tools... you can only establish it under one! The other lackluster feature is in scheduling. In order for it to block out production time in the schedule when the machine is being used for preventative or reactive maintenance you have to tie the resource which is tied to the equipment ID directly to the maintenance operation. This sounds reasonable at first, but instead of the software just looking through the equipment ID on the job and the resource tied to the equipment ID in the set up, you now have to create an operation per piece of equipment. So if you have 70 pieces of equipment, you have to have 70 operations to cover this (and for each type of operation you may want). The really irritating this is, if you have say 3 production machines, they are all the same, you'll have to have 3 separate operations (all identical save for the different resources tied to them). In my mind this will be a nightmare for maintenance guys to keep straight... That's what I've found so far... Over all this is a pretty new module for them, and as a result is a bit more shallow than you'd think given the demos you probably saw.
> >
> >
> >
> > Rob Bucek
> > Production Control Manager
> > PH: (715) 284-5376 ext 311
> > Mobile: (715)896-4832
> > FAX: (715)284-4084
> > [cid:1.234354861@]<http://www.dsmfg.com/>
> > (Click the logo to view our site)<http://www.dsmfg.com/>
> >
> > From: vantage@yahoogroups.com [mailto:vantage@yahoogroups.com] On Behalf Of cesatlanta
> > Sent: Wednesday, December 05, 2012 9:29 AM
> > To: vantage@yahoogroups.com
> > Subject: [Vantage] E9 Maintenance Module
> >
> >
> >
> > We are considering the addition of the Maintenance module to schedule and track tooling and equipment maintenance. Of course we went through the Demo and it worked "seemlessly and flawlessly".
> >
> > Does anybody have any experience with it, good or bad. Our other option is to get a third party solution and interface through service connect. Any opinions on this alternative are also welcome.
> >
> >
> >
> > [Non-text portions of this message have been removed]
> >
>
I agree for the most part. I 'think' they may be of some use for pareto type analysis to determine where your maintenance hours/dollars/resources are being spent. I could see value in that for going forward with targeting maintenance continuous improvement efforts. Are they setup to work as good as they could? Probably not.. but there's some value. Either way, you're forced to use them to satisfy minimum field requirements. If they don't prove valuable to you, just force feed a constant in there with a BPM....

Rob Bucek

From: vantage@yahoogroups.com [mailto:vantage@yahoogroups.com] On Behalf Of pbparker
Sent: Monday, April 15, 2013 3:16 PM
Subject: [Vantage] Re: E9 Maintenance Module

Ahh yes, Topics. We're just in the process of implementing this module ourselves and I really can't see the point of the topics.

I can't see how they can be useful really, it would be far more useful if they weren't so restrictive and you could simply select multiple to give tags to the job type.

At this point, I'd prefer not to use them at all, yet in some cases they're required (in spite of the help saying they're optional).

--- In vantage@yahoogroups.com<mailto:vantage%40yahoogroups.com>, "greg_clauser" <gclauser@...> wrote:
>
> Rob,
>
> Wondering if you found any workarounds for any of these problems. We've spent a lot of time trying to figure out the best way to set things up and tying operations to resources has me stumped.
>
> If I have 10 machines that are all 3 axis mills I can make an operation like 'Change Oil' and tie it to a resource group. I can also make one PM job template and use it for all resources in the group but if I need to need a change oil operation for a 4 axis machine I need a "4X Change Oil" operation.
>
> All in all however, making and scheduling PM jobs is not a show stopper. I am having dificulty assigning maintenance work to individual Techs and having them see a job queue in MES but I'm thinking I just have to figure that out.
>
> What I'm having the most trouble with is maintenance jobs. Since one does not really know what needs to be done when a repair request is made, I have a default repair job with just one operation (eg: Evaluate Problem). Not sure how or who should add other operations and/or materials to such a job.
>
> Having maintenance people that can work in any of our 5 plants on any one day creates another level of complexity that Epicor cannot really handle. I have to create each crew member as a resource in each plant sonce I cannot use a resource from one plant in another plant. Screws up keeping track of hours too.
>
> "Topics" is a whole other issue. Looks like they should be useful in a decision tree kind of way but I see no way to use them in labor entry.
>
> Greg
>
> --- In vantage@yahoogroups.com<mailto:vantage%40yahoogroups.com>, Rob Bucek <rbucek@> wrote:
> >
> > I just purchased that module recently and am in the middle of implementing it. So far (and I had the first impressions you did) as usual the devil is in the details, and I'm Highly Underwhelmed at this point. There are two critical areas that were not very well thought out at all. The first is components, where you list individual parts/assemblies/or major subcomponents of a larger or main piece of equipment. Some genius thought it would be a good idea to design it so you had to tell the component its parent equipment ID, now you are hosed if this is a component that is common across more than one piece of equipment. Say you had a spindle drawbar on a vertical machining center used across several machine tools... you can only establish it under one! The other lackluster feature is in scheduling. In order for it to block out production time in the schedule when the machine is being used for preventative or reactive maintenance you have to tie the resource which is tied to the equipment ID directly to the maintenance operation. This sounds reasonable at first, but instead of the software just looking through the equipment ID on the job and the resource tied to the equipment ID in the set up, you now have to create an operation per piece of equipment. So if you have 70 pieces of equipment, you have to have 70 operations to cover this (and for each type of operation you may want). The really irritating this is, if you have say 3 production machines, they are all the same, you'll have to have 3 separate operations (all identical save for the different resources tied to them). In my mind this will be a nightmare for maintenance guys to keep straight... That's what I've found so far... Over all this is a pretty new module for them, and as a result is a bit more shallow than you'd think given the demos you probably saw.
> >
> >
> >
> > Rob Bucek
> > Production Control Manager
> > PH: (715) 284-5376 ext 311
> > Mobile: (715)896-4832
> > FAX: (715)284-4084
> > [cid:1.234354861@]<http://www.dsmfg.com/>
> > (Click the logo to view our site)<http://www.dsmfg.com/>
> >
> > From: vantage@yahoogroups.com<mailto:vantage%40yahoogroups.com> [mailto:vantage@yahoogroups.com<mailto:vantage%40yahoogroups.com>] On Behalf Of cesatlanta
> > Sent: Wednesday, December 05, 2012 9:29 AM
> > To: vantage@yahoogroups.com<mailto:vantage%40yahoogroups.com>
> > Subject: [Vantage] E9 Maintenance Module
> >
> >
> >
> > We are considering the addition of the Maintenance module to schedule and track tooling and equipment maintenance. Of course we went through the Demo and it worked "seemlessly and flawlessly".
> >
> > Does anybody have any experience with it, good or bad. Our other option is to get a third party solution and interface through service connect. Any opinions on this alternative are also welcome.
> >
> >
> >
> > [Non-text portions of this message have been removed]
> >
>

Actually, Topics are in fact kind of optional. It just makes you have one as a default.

Greg

--- In vantage@yahoogroups.com, "pbparker" <scrumbus@...> wrote:
>
> Ahh yes, Topics. We're just in the process of implementing this module ourselves and I really can't see the point of the topics.
>
> I can't see how they can be useful really, it would be far more useful if they weren't so restrictive and you could simply select multiple to give tags to the job type.
>
> At this point, I'd prefer not to use them at all, yet in some cases they're required (in spite of the help saying they're optional).
>
> --- In vantage@yahoogroups.com, "greg_clauser" <gclauser@> wrote:
> >
> > Rob,
> >
> > Wondering if you found any workarounds for any of these problems. We've spent a lot of time trying to figure out the best way to set things up and tying operations to resources has me stumped.
> >
> > If I have 10 machines that are all 3 axis mills I can make an operation like 'Change Oil' and tie it to a resource group. I can also make one PM job template and use it for all resources in the group but if I need to need a change oil operation for a 4 axis machine I need a "4X Change Oil" operation.
> >
> > All in all however, making and scheduling PM jobs is not a show stopper. I am having dificulty assigning maintenance work to individual Techs and having them see a job queue in MES but I'm thinking I just have to figure that out.
> >
> > What I'm having the most trouble with is maintenance jobs. Since one does not really know what needs to be done when a repair request is made, I have a default repair job with just one operation (eg: Evaluate Problem). Not sure how or who should add other operations and/or materials to such a job.
> >
> > Having maintenance people that can work in any of our 5 plants on any one day creates another level of complexity that Epicor cannot really handle. I have to create each crew member as a resource in each plant sonce I cannot use a resource from one plant in another plant. Screws up keeping track of hours too.
> >
> > "Topics" is a whole other issue. Looks like they should be useful in a decision tree kind of way but I see no way to use them in labor entry.
> >
> > Greg
> >
> > --- In vantage@yahoogroups.com, Rob Bucek <rbucek@> wrote:
> > >
> > > I just purchased that module recently and am in the middle of implementing it. So far (and I had the first impressions you did) as usual the devil is in the details, and I'm Highly Underwhelmed at this point. There are two critical areas that were not very well thought out at all. The first is components, where you list individual parts/assemblies/or major subcomponents of a larger or main piece of equipment. Some genius thought it would be a good idea to design it so you had to tell the component its parent equipment ID, now you are hosed if this is a component that is common across more than one piece of equipment. Say you had a spindle drawbar on a vertical machining center used across several machine tools... you can only establish it under one! The other lackluster feature is in scheduling. In order for it to block out production time in the schedule when the machine is being used for preventative or reactive maintenance you have to tie the resource which is tied to the equipment ID directly to the maintenance operation. This sounds reasonable at first, but instead of the software just looking through the equipment ID on the job and the resource tied to the equipment ID in the set up, you now have to create an operation per piece of equipment. So if you have 70 pieces of equipment, you have to have 70 operations to cover this (and for each type of operation you may want). The really irritating this is, if you have say 3 production machines, they are all the same, you'll have to have 3 separate operations (all identical save for the different resources tied to them). In my mind this will be a nightmare for maintenance guys to keep straight... That's what I've found so far... Over all this is a pretty new module for them, and as a result is a bit more shallow than you'd think given the demos you probably saw.
> > >
> > >
> > >
> > > Rob Bucek
> > > Production Control Manager
> > > PH: (715) 284-5376 ext 311
> > > Mobile: (715)896-4832
> > > FAX: (715)284-4084
> > > [cid:1.234354861@]<http://www.dsmfg.com/>
> > > (Click the logo to view our site)<http://www.dsmfg.com/>
> > >
> > > From: vantage@yahoogroups.com [mailto:vantage@yahoogroups.com] On Behalf Of cesatlanta
> > > Sent: Wednesday, December 05, 2012 9:29 AM
> > > To: vantage@yahoogroups.com
> > > Subject: [Vantage] E9 Maintenance Module
> > >
> > >
> > >
> > > We are considering the addition of the Maintenance module to schedule and track tooling and equipment maintenance. Of course we went through the Demo and it worked "seemlessly and flawlessly".
> > >
> > > Does anybody have any experience with it, good or bad. Our other option is to get a third party solution and interface through service connect. Any opinions on this alternative are also welcome.
> > >
> > >
> > >
> > > [Non-text portions of this message have been removed]
> > >
> >
>