E9 - Serial Numbers

Ah, the key is your last point "Use Serial Mast Starting Sequence". Without that, each part will generate independently. Checking this will make the sequence number available globally which is exactly what we want.

Thanks very much!
Tim

--- In vantage@yahoogroups.com, Mark Wonsil <mark_wonsil@...> wrote:
>
> Doug wrote:
> > You have to create a Serial "Mask" with type "Generation" and assign each serialized part number to use that "Mask" as its source.
> >
> > Each global serial number mask generates its own sequence of serial numbers and all part assigned to the same mask share that set.
>
> Doug is right. Start with Material Management | Inventory Management |
> Setup | Serial Mask Maintenance
>
> This is where we create our single SN mask as a Generation Type, a
> mask like yours "<yy><m>#####, and a starting sequence.
>
> Then, for each serialized part, we set the mask to this entry by
> clicking on the SN Format button, choose Serial Mask for the Base
> Number Structure, select from the Serial Mask and then clicking the
> "Use Serial Mast Starting Sequence".
>
> We're still 9.04 but I think it's still the same.
>
> Mark W.
>
We have run into a big "assume" issue with serial numbers. While testing, we found that automatically generated serial numbers are not global. We have one mask using <YY><M>#### and we are seeing the same serial number used in each part that is set with serial number control. I would never have imagined that serial numbers would not be unique across the entire company. Is this a problem for others? Any suggestions on addressing this issue? We definitely need unique serial numbers but don't want to have to do manually.

Thanks,
Tim
Tim wrote:
> We have run into a big "assume" issue with serial numbers. While testing, we found that automatically generated serial numbers are not global. We have one mask using <YY><M>#### and we are seeing the same serial number used in each part that is set with serial number control. I would never have imagined that serial numbers would not be unique across the entire company. Is this a problem for others? Any suggestions on addressing this issue? We definitely need unique serial numbers but don't want to have to do manually.
>

In E9 and up, you can set up a Serial Number so that all parts use the
same counter. It's in the Serial Number setup. I'm not in the office
today and don't recall the exact steps but it can be done.

Mark W.
Hi Mark,

We are experiencing the same issue. If you could share more details regarding the solution that would be terrific.

--- In vantage@yahoogroups.com, Mark Wonsil <mark_wonsil@...> wrote:
>
> Tim wrote:
> > We have run into a big "assume" issue with serial numbers. While testing, we found that automatically generated serial numbers are not global. We have one mask using <YY><M>#### and we are seeing the same serial number used in each part that is set with serial number control. I would never have imagined that serial numbers would not be unique across the entire company. Is this a problem for others? Any suggestions on addressing this issue? We definitely need unique serial numbers but don't want to have to do manually.
> >
>
> In E9 and up, you can set up a Serial Number so that all parts use the
> same counter. It's in the Serial Number setup. I'm not in the office
> today and don't recall the exact steps but it can be done.
>
> Mark W.
>
You have to create a Serial "Mask" with type "Generation" and assign each serialized part number to use that "Mask" as its source.

Each global serial number mask generates its own sequence of serial numbers and all part assigned to the same mask share that set.

--- In vantage@yahoogroups.com, "nustepvantage" <dpfiester@...> wrote:
>
> Hi Mark,
>
> We are experiencing the same issue. If you could share more details regarding the solution that would be terrific.
>
> --- In vantage@yahoogroups.com, Mark Wonsil <mark_wonsil@> wrote:
> >
> > Tim wrote:
> > > We have run into a big "assume" issue with serial numbers. While testing, we found that automatically generated serial numbers are not global. We have one mask using <YY><M>#### and we are seeing the same serial number used in each part that is set with serial number control. I would never have imagined that serial numbers would not be unique across the entire company. Is this a problem for others? Any suggestions on addressing this issue? We definitely need unique serial numbers but don't want to have to do manually.
> > >
> >
> > In E9 and up, you can set up a Serial Number so that all parts use the
> > same counter. It's in the Serial Number setup. I'm not in the office
> > today and don't recall the exact steps but it can be done.
> >
> > Mark W.
> >
>
That is indeed how I have mine setup, but it does not act like a global mask. Each part using the same mask is maintaining it's own list of serial numbers. I have contacted Epicor and they are investigating. The tech did indicate that my issue was fixed, but wonders if the problem has returned.

--- In vantage@yahoogroups.com, "Douglas" <dgum@...> wrote:
>
> You have to create a Serial "Mask" with type "Generation" and assign each serialized part number to use that "Mask" as its source.
>
> Each global serial number mask generates its own sequence of serial numbers and all part assigned to the same mask share that set.
>
>
> --- In vantage@yahoogroups.com, "nustepvantage" <dpfiester@> wrote:
> >
> > Hi Mark,
> >
> > We are experiencing the same issue. If you could share more details regarding the solution that would be terrific.
> >
> > --- In vantage@yahoogroups.com, Mark Wonsil <mark_wonsil@> wrote:
> > >
> > > Tim wrote:
> > > > We have run into a big "assume" issue with serial numbers. While testing, we found that automatically generated serial numbers are not global. We have one mask using <YY><M>#### and we are seeing the same serial number used in each part that is set with serial number control. I would never have imagined that serial numbers would not be unique across the entire company. Is this a problem for others? Any suggestions on addressing this issue? We definitely need unique serial numbers but don't want to have to do manually.
> > > >
> > >
> > > In E9 and up, you can set up a Serial Number so that all parts use the
> > > same counter. It's in the Serial Number setup. I'm not in the office
> > > today and don't recall the exact steps but it can be done.
> > >
> > > Mark W.
> > >
> >
>
Doug wrote:
> You have to create a Serial "Mask" with type "Generation" and assign each serialized part number to use that "Mask" as its source.
>
> Each global serial number mask generates its own sequence of serial numbers and all part assigned to the same mask share that set.

Doug is right. Start with Material Management | Inventory Management |
Setup | Serial Mask Maintenance

This is where we create our single SN mask as a Generation Type, a
mask like yours "<yy><m>#####, and a starting sequence.

Then, for each serialized part, we set the mask to this entry by
clicking on the SN Format button, choose Serial Mask for the Base
Number Structure, select from the Serial Mask and then clicking the
"Use Serial Mast Starting Sequence".

We're still 9.04 but I think it's still the same.

Mark W.