Epicor 11.1

For 90% of it plan to not need to know javascript or html. It helps because there is methodology there and it’s easier to relate to what Epicor is doing in the tooling, but the direction the tooling is going, imagine it as all widgetized little to no code knowledge needed.

4 Likes

Good News is that you will not be alone.

There are quite a few folks in the same situation.

2 Likes

Just to be clear on this topic. You will be able to upgrade and continue to use the smart client and your customization’s as-is (in the Smart Client). Kinetic in the browser will be how new customers implement and anyone that is upgrading can move to Kinetic when they feel that is right for them.
There will be more shared on examples of how to do things like calling functions and events in app studio to showcase examples of how to do common requests. Also we are working on making the transition for deterministic customizations simple.

9 Likes

Thank you for the precision…

I had similar feelings as the path to upgrade was short…and huge endeavor…

Pierre

1 Like

Thanks for the feedback, @Edge! It’s good to hear that Epicor recognizes the customer concerns for a migration to a major release.

2 Likes

They also confirmed that E11 would be released shortly after Insights 2021 (Las Vegas, May 8-11)!

3 Likes

We are not going to leave our customers on a ledge like other ERP providers. The smart client technology has served us well for a very long time, technology and expectations have moved on. We approached Kinetic as a transition to give you all time to adapt and benefit.

4 Likes

Here’s hoping E11 is a database, a REST API, and very little else.

2 Likes

Now THAT is the best news I’ve heard about this yet. I had hoped (prayed even) that the Smart Client was being brought along for the ride, but nobody I’ve spoken to so far has been this definitive. Thanks @Edge!

1 Like

@Edge - but it seems the unspoken question is (again) the Product Configurator. If it’s moving to Kinetic, we’re really talking about a rewrite again, right?

Don’t get me wrong, I understand the need to change with technology and we’re hoping for the additional tech to be a benefit - and we were planning on an overhaul anyway - I’m just fishing for a glimmer of truth so I can plan out my spring/early summer next year…

5 Likes

Fantastic - thank you!

2 Likes

Christine Hansen said that while it’s not being phased out, any new development won’t be done in the smart client either. So if there’s a new field or new module, it will not be back-ported to the smart client. So yes, not leaving anyone in the lurch but understandably not putting extra life in it either. The clock starts ticking on the smart client once 11.1 is out because it just can’t be supported forever. I would be making plans…

4 Likes

You’re absolutely right… and we are… but we also “made plans” for Crystal Reports to be retired. This at least gives us time. I can’t tell you how many installations I’ve seen with literally thousands of lines of code in customizations that will take quite some time to update.

Tech Support Job Security!

2 Likes

I can’t share more details except that the Configurator is a key differentiator for Epicor and the technology is available to make it work. More will be shared in the future.

4 Likes

LOL - Good enough @Edge, I really didn’t expect you to let the cat out of the bag. :wink:

3 Likes

Yeah, 8.03.305 was really solid after the issues we’d ran into on 8.0. The 8.03.305 to 9.05 conversion was messy IIRC. good times

2 Likes

Speculatory posts are ok for a while but can run on for days. Closing folks.

4 Likes