Epicor Idea Status - what does it mean when we say "Gauging Interest" vs "In Development"

There has been some discussion on this topic, so to be as transparent as possible, I thought it would help to be open about our processes between Product Management and Product Development.

I am posting this to help educate you and help you understand why something may stay in a status “too long”. (and lets not make this post into another dumpster fire :wink: Keep it friendly folks)

Currently, we have a process to define our roadmap that includes new Corporate Initiatives, as well as accepting high vote-count Ideas. during our roadmapping cycle, we do the following:

1. review the corporate initiatives, including integration of new products (CPQ, GROW, etc)
  2. review Epicor Ideas, looking for great ideas that need incorporated, as well as some “quick wins” for simple ideas.
  3. We create EPICs for each of those initiatives and ideas
  4. We have meetings with Dev to have those EPICS sized
  5. We start prioritizing them based on their importance, size, cost, impact
  6. Development COMMITS to the stack-ranked list for the next release

RIGHT NOW, we are between steps 4-5 in the process for the 2023.2 release.

IDEA STATUS: We do NOT change the status of the idea to “In Development” UNTIL we have the COMMENTMENT from Dev that they will be doing the EPIC. Until then it remains in “Gaging Interest”… SO… just because it still says “Gaging interest” does not mean that we don’t care… BUT ALSO… there are some items that might not make the cut because they are either too big, or we are not ready to push them through for some other reason.

You will notice activity on ideas over the next few weeks/months as the 2023.1 items are completed. You will see the items going from “in Development” to “Coming Next Release” once they have been confirmed that they have passed the first round of 2023.1 QA. You will also see new items change to the status of “In Development” as we accept them into 2023.2.

I hope this clarifies the status values that we use, and will answer your questions.

5 Likes

Thanks Tim. I’m on guard

loose GIF

1 Like

This clarifies it. I thought it was just stuck in “we haven’t looked at it really in depth, waiting for more votes, have no idea how to implement x”.

:heart:

2 Likes