Epicor & Power Bi / Excel

Hi All
We are new to Epicor and are operating on the cloud we would like to access our data in Power Bi and or Excel. I have read the rest documentation and have obtained my key but am failing to get Powerbi to connect at first it was giving a keyname error(fixed) and now it’s an authentication error. Reading the OData section in the Rest Manual refers to changing a setting in the web config how do I that as a cloud user? I find so much of the documentation is geared towards on-prem that it can be challenging at times as a newbie to work out how to do it in the cloud or even if it’s possible. If someone could walk me through the connection settings it would be really appreciated.
Thank you

Could you share the exact error message please.

EDIT
Did you see this post?

Edit 2
I think that the Case of the “Data” in your URL needs to be correct as well I.e. it should be “Data” not “data” (although this might not be related to your issue)

Hi Simon
Sorry for the delay in reply I think perhaps I simply have the connection settings incorrect as I’m very new to Odata so for Excel I am following the instructions on pg 46 in Sign In
as my Odata fee URL I have
https://auseastdtapp00.epicorsaas.com/SaaS509/api/v2/odata/CompanyXXX/Erp.Bo.CustomerSvc/Customers
I then go to Basic
Username: CompanyXXX-Melmoy
Pasword: xxxxxxxx
Select level - https://auseastdtapp00.epicorsaas.com
Error message is “Access to the resource is forbidden.”
I’ve read through your linked post but haven’t acted on it as yet because I’m not sure that I’ve got the above basics correct

1 Like

Hello Melinda,

For v2 REST, you must provide an API key and I don’t recall how to do that in Excel offhand. Try the v1 REST endpoint instead and see if you can get that to work and then we can look into getting the api-key in the header.

Mark W.

1 Like

Thanks Mark V1 worked it also work in PowerBi I banged around with V1 last week and couldn’t get it going not quite sure what I did right this time but very happy to see that data load. Is there any limitations on working with V1 instead of V2.

v2 is a bit more secure because of the api-key. Companies like Microsoft are also trying to get away from Basic Authentication.

If your purpose for using Excel is graphing, etc., you may consider using Epicor Data Discovery where you can take a BAQ and analyze it there as well as download the details into Excel. Food for thought.

1 Like

Apparently In order to use REST v.2 with Excel you need to disable set the EnforceApiKeyForRestApiV2 to false in the webconfig of the app server. Seems a bit counter intuitive to be honest.

Which as a cloud user I was confused by how do I access that

Cloud oh yeah…Duh silly me

Weakening security is generally not a good idea, which like Simon points out, seems counter intuitive. Just use v1 so there’s API protection for non-Excel uses.

You may need to do a little coding to get v2 to work. Here’s one example:

oauth - authenticating with Excel Power Query against .Net Odata Web Api - Stack Overflow

2 Likes