Epicor Upgrade Release

I’m trying to make a decision to determine if it’s worth doing an upgrade in 2021. We are currently on 10.2.300 and considering an upgrade to 10.2.700 (after a few more patches). Before we jump into it, I’ve got a few questions that I thought I’d throw out if anyone is interested in sharing opinions or experiences.

1. Is there any functionality in the 700 release that would be worth upgrading for? I’m interested in using BPM functions to minimize code duplication and may be interested in changing our custom REST services to v2 if v1 is going away soon. The only other thing I see is Kinetic and that does not seem usable to support our customizations at this time.

2. Does being on the latest release really provide better support? I’m sure it has helped us that we’ve never been stuck on a version older than 10.0, but it seems like many times if there is an issue, I’m told it will be fixed in a higher release that is to be determined. I end up making customizations to fix the issues in the end and never receive feedback if these actually get fixed. To top that off, once I fix something on my own, I’m told I’ve got a customization so they can’t support me without billing me.

3. What is best practice for upgrading Epicor server releases? As I’ve upgraded between various 10.X installs (10.0.600, 10.0.700, 10.1.600, 10.2.300, etc), I’ve been following a process to keep my servers clean. I basically set up new VMs, install the new version, upgrade a copy of our databases, and then set up new app servers, etc. I think I started doing this because having the old local client files and configurations left over from old versions was messy and confusing (no uninstaller for the local clients and it was unclear if it was safe to uninstall old versions). I don’t recall if I actually had problems with more than one version installed.

4. What is best practice for upgrading Epicor release version clients? If I install 10.2.700 on the same server as 10.2.300 is there a way to tell the 10.2.300 client to update on client PCs to 10.2.700 or do I need to do as I have been (install new client software in preparation to point to new server deployment folder, and then run a script to manually remove all the old files and folders related to the old client)? While I’m at it, why does the client lack an uninstaller? It seems like a very simple thing that Epicor could fix.

5. Should I expect a release upgrade to be less painful than a version upgrade? For our company, performing an upgrade between versions means we stop working on most new customizations, rework the existing customizations, and then having users test their processes. This usually takes about 2 months for major version updates.

6. What is the plan for the next version / release cycle of Epicor? The release I’m on is just over 2 years old so I’m falling into sustaining support. If I interpret the release cycle correctly, 10.3 should have already been released 18 months ago (10.2 was released in 2017) and 11.0 should have been released over a year ago (10.0 was released in 2014). Does this mean a new version is around the bend?

If anyone wants to provide insight into these questions or how you handled an upgrade, that would be appreciated.

Thanks,
Tanner