Help with Help

We have just upgraded our TEST and TRAIN to 10.2.700.6 from 10.2.200.6.

We created a new application server when we did this.

Local clients have been installed on three end-user workstations and on the server.

I get a 403 (403 - Forbidden: Access is denied. You do not have permission to view this directory or page using the credentials that you supplied) when accessing Application Help or trying to launch an embedded Education course in TRAIN or in TEST. This is true even when using the manager login to TRAIN. The other users do not have this problem.

The local client for TRAIN was created by Epicor support.

The local client for TEST was created by our IT folks – twice. We uninstalled and reinstalled it.

When I enter the Help URL directly into a browswer, I do not get an error, but all I see is the date on which we did the upgrade.

https://help.epicor.com is a trusted site

In TEST and in TRAIN, Company Maintenance, the Epicor Help URL is: https://help.epicor.com/erp/102700.

It seems like it should have something to do with my client, since others can access it from their machines, but I don’t know what to look at. I can access Help using my credentials from the server client, so it does not appear to be user-based.

Has anyone seen this before?

1 Like

I’m having the same problem. But I have no idea how to fix it. I was looking for stored credentials that were bad or something, but haven’t found anything yet.

That was that the URL was broken everywhere, this problem is specific to a machine. Other computers work fine.

Ah yea, you’re right. I missed that it was not all machines.

That specific workstation is joined to the domain? And the user logged in to the domain, and not just the workstation?

Yes, logged into domain. Can roam around the network. Can also access help in TRAIN for 10.2.200.6 using that local client. So seems very specific to this client.

Have also uninstalled Chrome, shut down, and reinstalled Chrome

Also impacted by this.

My plant manager can access Application Help on any other machine except for his.
At this point, contemplating swapping out his desktop because Epicor has not been helpful at all.

Good morning Epicor Community,

My plant manager is not able to access the Application Help within Epicor’s “Help” drop down. This affects him in all Epicor forms. He gets a 403 - Forbidden error.

The strange thing is that I am able to access application help just fine, along with other Epicor users that use this functionality.

He logged in on my station, and another station, and was able to use the application help just fine.

I made sure his sysconfig file was referencing our fully qualified domain name, which did nothing different. I even reinstalled Epicor for him, and he still receives the same error.

I logged in with my credentials on his station, and was not able to use the application help either.

Has anyone else encountered anything like this?
Thank you in advance!

Did you log in with your windows credentials and epicor credentials or just your epicor credentials? Could be network or file access rights issue.

@pferrington This is happening a lot, can you point us in the right direction as to who can help address? It appears to be unique to a computer or computers but it is happening to several users across the community.

2 Likes

Another data point - This happened to me on our 10.2.700.6 test environment, and I’ve got Chrome as my default web viewer. I’d get the 403 on my machine, but it’d work for others.

When I copied the url and pasted it into an incognito tab, it worked! It also worked when I pasted it into Edge. Once I cleared cache in Chrome (regular, not incognito mode), it now works there’s too. If it’s the same issue, the re-install should have fixed it for Sam, but not sure if the delete removes the cache file. Worth trying to clear it…

Also, I get the install date if I go to the root help (https://help.epicor.com/erp/102700), but if I paste the full path of the help article, it’d work:https://help.epicor.com/erp/102700/enu/standard/snm_enu.htm?Version=3.2.700.0#Custom_Basic/ActivetaDeveloperMode_MHP.html

I’ll second @askulte’s findings - if I paste the 700 Online Help URL into a private tab, I get the date back, otherwise I get “the forbidden error” (this sounds like the start of a good meme…)

@pferrington - I’m one of the others having so much problem with this. But we’re at 10.2.300 and it may be that the online help for us is simply turned off…

Mike - Does it work if you clear cache?

Mine does not (after clearing cache), and I’m having the exact same problem. Works fine on my laptop sitting next to me. Same login, same user, same dababase, just different computer. My desktop will not work no matter what I do.

Same here.
Clearing cache did nothing but wipe out his personalizations.
Ended up replacing the desktop, and it fixed the application help issue.
So it seems like it has to be specific to the local impacted machine.

@mdiemer Sorry, I mean clearing the web browser cache, not Epicor’s Client Cache (which shouldn’t affect personalizations - that would be purge personalizations to wipe those out).

Is everyone having problems using Chrome as the default browser on that machine? Does it work with FireFox or Edge?

I’m using firefox as my default. I cleared caches there too, and switched default browser. No changes.

confirmed - clear cache on either browser(chrome/edge) or within the client - no changes.

Are you all installing help locally or are you using the online help? We have had issues both in the online help server as well as the token producing and delivery process on the client that generates 403 errors. We believe as of 10.2.700 I believe we have that resolved for education but still have a hanging issue in some cases for help. That is on my teams list for the next month to get taken care of. It has been a problem for a while but it has taken the docs team a while working with us to figure out where the issues are.

1 Like