How to Manage Resource Availability with Late/Over-running Jobs

Hi,

I’m looking for the best way to address the following scheduling scenario:

1. Job operation is scheduled for 16 hours (2 days) on the 1st and 2nd of the month.

2. Person A is assigned to the operation. The schedule shows that Person A is available on the 3rd.

3. In actuality, the job operation overruns - so the person is still clocked onto the operation on the 3rd. Since the schedule shows Person A as being ‘available’ on the 3rd, they have been scheduled against a different job.

Is there a way to automatically push the second job out on the schedule, based on the first one being overdue/over-running?

Thanks for any help.

As I understand it, the scheduler will assess every job that is in progress, using the uncompleted Qty and the Production standard to determine the remaining time of the operation, and then re-schedule everything else around it (because it will not move in-progress operations).

This is also a function of the Planner. that person should be doing the appropriate resource availability, overrun/late, job locking, etc. tasks to let the scheduler know what’s up and what it can/cannot touch. And even running the scheduler on demand when necessary.

1 Like

Thanks @MikeGross, this makes sense.

What approach do you tend to use if the operation is still open but the estimated hours have been exceeded? E.g. if you realise the operation actually needs twice the amount of hours originally estimated, would you increase the estimate hours to block out the additional time needed in the schedule? Or would you just let actual hours exceed estimate, so that the schedule moves out day by day?

If I understand it correctly, the estimated hours is really just a basis for calculating time required for the qty remaining. So if you have 10 hours to complete 100 qty ( run rate of 10/hr ) and only finish 50 in the 10 hours, it will allow for 5 more hours (run rate of 10/hr). If you want it to be another 10 hours allowed, then I think you would need to adjust the estimate and re-run the scheduler.

This is a really good question that I’ve not played with not seen anyone else talk about. Hopefully someone else will jump in or you will have to play with this a little bit and let us know.