How to move a personalization

We have a customization applied to Part Entry, and several users have created Personalizations on top of this customization. You can see them here under the customization named Part:

Screen Shot 2022-08-09 at 10.59.11 AM

A new customization named Part_v2 was developed in a test environment and then imported here and applied to the Part Entry menu item. You can see it in the image above named Part_v2.

My question is, how do I copy those personalizations on Part so that they are also on Part_v2? Is that possible to do? When I export and import the Personalizations individually, they always import back to their original location on Part and do not let me choose to import them to Part_v2.

Basically I don’t want to have to manually re-create the customizations found in Part_v2 on Part because it was a very time consuming customization. Did I just go about this the wrong way by doing a new customization instead of re-using the customization that was there?

Yes, you can’t move those personalization (nor should you) it causes all sorts of heart ache particularly if your customization moved stuff around. I like to just tell the users to suck it up butter cup when this happens… But I’m kind of a mean guy :joy:

1 Like

Actually, as Jose suggested, you did it the right way (in my opinion). We tried to save over the original customization initially and we frequently ran into issues where forms would crash/error. I’m not sure if that was just specific to what we were doing but it seemed consistent anytime we saved over a previous version. We worked with individuals to clear caches, etc… but it kept happening. The one common thread was always a customization we saved over. I seem to recall reading that it is good practice to create new customizations and then deal with the lesser evil, people losing personalizations.

One thing you could try is to see if people are personalizing the same things. You can include them in your customization and then they won’t have to personalize. But I realize you won’t get everything.

1 Like

I agree with everything. But I have found that if I am adding just something minor like a new checkbox, I migrate Personalizations using

-- ===============================================
-- Personalization Migration
-- ===============================================

-- Engineering WorkBench
-- Migrate: 210910_EngWorkBench to 220518_EngWorkBench
UPDATE Ice.XXXDef SET Key3 = 'Customization^220518_EngWorkBench' WHERE 
	SystemFlag = 0
	AND ProductID = 'EP'
	AND TypeCode = 'Personalization' 
	AND Key2 = 'App.EngWorkBenchEntry.EngWorkBenchEntryForm' 
	AND Key3 = 'Customization^210910_EngWorkBench'
	AND SysCharacter04 = 'PASS'
	AND SysCharacter05 = '3.2.700.0';

For anything Major like an Upgrade what not, we leave it alone.

2 Likes