Invoice Date & Apply Date

What would make these two fields different?

When EOM is ran we clear up the invoices for that given month but how would an invoice from September be applied in November?

Apply Date defaults to the date an invoice was actually entered. For example, if I open Invoice Entry today and post an invoice, the Apply Date will default to December 6th. However, the Invoice Date is the date printed on the document – the date the supplier generated their invoice for AP invoices or the date your company shipped the parts for AR invoices. The Apply Date is affected by the Earliest Apply Date settings and closed financial periods, but I don’t believe the Invoice Date has any restrictions by default.

What I see with your example invoice is that someone entered that invoice on November 2nd, but the invoice document itself was sent by the supplier around September 1st.

1 Like

This is a AR invoice not AP.

From what I just tested in our environment, both the Invoice Date and Apply Date default to the shipment date when you use the Get Shipments functionality. For miscellaneous invoices the Invoice Date and Apply Date default to the current date. However, these dates can be overwritten by the user and can be updated to be different dates.

I did not test trying to invoice a shipment that was shipped in a closed period to see if the Apply Date would automatically change to the Earliest Apply Date. I imagine that could also cause the two dates to mismatch.

2 Likes

I think the system would complain that the period is closed. Apply Date is selected manually.

If I recall correctly, this is a setting on your Book Posting Validation Rules. The rule can be set to reject or just post to the next open fiscal period.

3 Likes

Hi Mark,

Do you know where the warning comes up? Is there a log file?

Kr,
Aaron.

I don’t remember a message displayed during posting but I’ve never checked a log. If set to error, it goes to the Review Journal. We were surprised by an Auto-correct so it wasn’t obvious. This was 10.2.500…