Is it possible to get into Application Studio to modify the new Kinetic MES?

I have gone into Apps studio and searched for MES.
It brings up the Classic style MES with the Buttons.
Not the new one that works better.

Has anyone have success in getting into customization of MES?
I wanted to add a tab with a URL view.

Thanks

Bruce - Change your URL to /home/#/?mode=MES

1 Like

@Edge - is the “new” style MES going away or will there be two Kinetic screens available?

E10.2.700

Kinetic 2021.1

BTW - Thanks for the link @Edge

(1) is the version of MES that is not customizable and will be going away it was an interim step on our journey but we have some customers using this and did not wish to interupt their operations. (2) is the go forward Data Collection version that can be customized in Application Studio.

3 Likes

That’s too bad about the (1) version of MES - it was really a clean view of MES and I had a lot of positive feedback from customers.
When was this move announced? I missed hearing about this.
I will bring it up when presenting at my next EUG meeting.

With the Apps Studio - I guess I could put together a customized screen that would be similar.

Will want to move away from the 25 button model of MES from Vista 8.03 styling.

Bruce

Where is the list of icon adders that gets you these differences?

From this post, I just realized I was am testing the old Kinetic MES and not the new one even though we are testing Kinetic 2021.1

Where is this information?

@bboes - I’m in discovery mode now…
three weeks from now should be a lot smarter.
I will give updates as I discover this

Did determine on the cloud only Pilot and Third have the Kinetic multi-button MES for the browser.

I do have the new MES URL working now in our third database. Thx Bruce.

Does anyone know how long the 10.2.700 Kinetic MES “old” version will stay around?

Hi Bruce please bring this up with the product management team we had a number of criticisms on this version due to the inability to customize and limited capabilities. The good news is you can easily turn things off you do not need with a layers and automate other aspects like label reprints and automatons now.

@Edge - for browser-based MES - can this run on any OS or are there limits?

Good point about turning things off, I know that has been a highlight in many of the kinetic demos I have watched.

I have not been successful in changing the MES on the cloud.
Following the same process as classic, but it has to be a different approach.

1. How do you deploy the Kinetic modified on the client?
  2. How do you deploy the Kinetic modified on the Cloud?
    Don’t think it is in the sysconfig file, because that doesn’t exist.

Bruce - one of the team will post how to do this soon. It is possible and we will get the help updated.

Thanks

1 Like

Hi and thank you for your patience.

Before I explain how to modify the relevant screens to utilise new customisations, we need to understand what actually happens when you launch your Kinetic client with commandline parameter /mode=MES, add /#/?mode=MES to home page address (or use /mode=DC and /#/?mode=DC in patch release .5 and later that is currently being worked on)
With Kinetic 2021.1 we deploy a new menu with menu ID PR000440. It is available as one of the last items among Processes in the menu maintenance (all items under processes are not directly seen in the menu tree and invoked indirectly, so you do not see this menu in your regular menu tree):

This menu is what gets executed in what we call “kiosk” mode when you use Data Collection launch mode. You will notice that my version of the menu in the screenshot above has TEST customisation applied to it. By clicking on the “Customization…” button, you will be able to select one or more layers to add to this menu (remember that Application Studio customizations can be layered together).

Once you apply your Application Studio customisation to this menu and relaunch Data Collection via commandline parameter or browser URL query, changes in your customisation will be applied to default Data Collection screen. This change will be applied to both browser and smart client sessions.

In Data Collection mode, unless you are a security manager, you will not get access to most of the menu in the sidebar of the shell.

In order to customise the screens invoked from the main Data Collection screen, you will need to modify events that are invoking them as part of your main Data Collection customisation:

Each of the relevant events will have app-open event action defined:

Under properties of this action you can define the layer to use:
You can also tweak if the screen shows as slideout and a number of other options here.

Hope this information helps you get started in tweaking you Data Collection screen to be as simple or as complex as you want it to be. Please remember that you can always add new actions, calls and functionality to your Data Collection via Application Studio and that with Epicor Functions you have access to dynamic APIs that allow you to implement new serverside business logic.

We have education courses on customising menus for Application Studio screens and on calling functions. These are accessible as part of embedded help in the Kinetic shell.

I hope you enjoy the work our teams put into making the new Data Collection and other Application Studio interfaces.

6 Likes

When I launch MES with the /mode=MES flag it opens correctly but uses a full client license instead of a data collection license. Will that be fixed?

Also can you give a full example of the url for the new MES web client?

Thanks

Here’s one.

https://centralusdtadtl06.epicorsaas.com/SaaS123/Apps/Erp/Home/#/?mode=MES

When using a browser - without a sysconfig file local…

What I don’t understand is how I can have different customizations for MES going at the same time.
Unless it is the user is setup to launch a process?

1 Like

I was successful getting a simple MES menu started and also launched it on my phone.
Now I would like to move it from Third environment to Pilot.
I have looked thru the help and courses - nothing giving me a hint how to export a file and import it into another database.

1 Like

I found my answer - use solution workbench to pull the Kinetic customization from one environment to another.

6 Likes