Kinetic only return 200 suggestions - anyone figure out a work around

And the best customization is no customization, like @LarsonSolutionsā€™s solution above.

1 Like

Set the auto firm to 1 week -
Create sales order for two different shipby dates
one within 1 week, one out two weeks.

Run MRP - see two jobs get created, one firm, one un-firm

2 Likes

For the record, this is already entered as an Idea and they have marked it was Planned.

Idea KNTC-I-2536 " Bring back Return all Rows to Kinetic Searches"

This is one of the major things that has kept us from yet adopting the Kinetic screens, so Iā€™m very interested in all of your suggestions above for when we have to make the switch.

1 Like

Iā€™m genuinely curious how many of these requirements are for data transfer (copy/paste)? :thinking:

Honestly is likely a lot of the cases, but Fulfillment Workbench is one place for us that right now we have thousands of records to pull in and process, so scrolling to the bottom waiting for the system to load more results just wonā€™t work. Now, of course, thatā€™s a ton of records and weā€™re working on some major internal improvements that should greatly reduce that number, but I would still expect us to have more than 200 records to process there.

Also, we have implemented some RPA solutions for updating PO Release dates that I have found the only way to do so without having to unapprove/re-approve POs to make those changes is through the Paste Update feature in an updatable dashboard, so itā€™s critical for us that a dashboard returns all results when we need it to.

1 Like

You have more tools available than you know my friend. :wink:

At 2021.2, you have functions. UBAQs are Functions Lite. Anything you can do with a UBAQ, you can do with a function. If nobody is looking at the dashboard, why make them go through all the records? :person_shrugging:

When you upgrade to 2022.1, you will have access to Automation Studio which might be able to fill the spreadsheet for you and then post it back without the UI interface. (Need to ask @timshuwy to see how difficult this would be.)

We are moving to an API-First world. Microsoft designs an API first, then it creates PowerShell scripts to call those APIs in a friendly way, and finally it designs an UI that calls the API.

RPA was invented for automation through the UI. Its purpose is when there is no API available and the UI is the only thing one has, just like Epicor 10.2.400 and older. But RPA is brittle, as you are finding out. Whenever possible, I try to use an API to communicate with Epicor. In the Vantage days, I tried loading parts through an automation program at the UI. It was awful. So I use the Business Objects. It was faster, accurate, and easier to handle errors. But it was tied to the DLLs and versioning was an issue. RESTful APIs changed the world, and are my preference when interfacing with any system, including Kinetic.

1 Like

I have brought this specific use case to the Development team. They are aware and have done some studiesā€¦ not sure what the results will be, but this is a known issue.

3 Likes

Yes, this is theoretically possibleā€¦ Automation studio can export data to a spreadsheet (excel, or google sheets)ā€¦ then you can also have Automation Studio READ the spreadsheet and process itā€¦ THE PROBLEM is that it will NOT allow you to break protocal. If you need to unfirm the PO before modifying it, then this will need to be done. Automation Studio CAN DO THIS as part of the processā€¦ 1. Unfirm, 2, modify, 3, re-firmā€¦
But nowā€¦ the question is: ā€œIs this the correct tool for the job?ā€.

2 Likes

Hi Bruce,

Is the 200 rows a limitation of both cloud and on-prem kinetic or just cloud?

Thanks in advance

Matt

I am not working with anyone with a current version of Kinetic on Prem, but based on the feedback from Epicor Support ā€œworking as designedā€, I have to believe this is a flaw for on Prem too.

All of Kinetic UI. The two-decade-old WinForms still work in in K2022. To be clear, there is no limit. Itā€™s just batching 200 records at a time, continuously. There is no retrieve all buttons or option setting.

The never-ending scrolling feature of Kinetic UI, which is designed to reduce unnecessary data transfer, is like many web applications today. As on-prem programmers, weā€™ve learned inefficient programming methods. (If you own the well, why not have a pond out front with fountains? :person_shrugging:) These methods were exposed as we added remote facilities and the performance suffered. Heck, the move from tightly-coupled VB6 to the more MVC ICE had all the same issues we are seeing today. In the various code designers in classic UI today, Epicor downloads the DLLs to do reflection in order to provide ā€œintellisense.ā€ This works great when your server is on the LAN, but oof, when itā€™s not.

In order to scale, and to serve remote locations better, we - as programmers - have to find newer cheese. Weā€™ve been clever before and we can be clever again. And Epicor may have to change their UI as well. Maybe not to mimic the past but to improve upon it.

BTW, one possible solution is to do what Google does in Gmail. If you pass in a search, you will see a link that says, ā€œSelect all records that matchā€ or something similar to that, when there are more records that match the criteria but not yet returned. When you click the link, it does NOT retrieve all records to the browser, but instead it will perform any bulk-action at the server on that entire selection set.

Thanks Mark. Next time I have the opportunity to review this in Kinetic I will do.

This reminds me why I delay major upgrades a year or two, especially with UI changes
Even though Iā€™m still a believer in general direction Kinetic is headedā€¦ I just donā€™t like the bleeding edge as much as I used to.

End users can make this ā€œinterestingā€ tooā€¦ tend to think about ā€œefficiencyā€ a LOT differently than I do.

1 Like

100% that! Iā€™d like to see them add the checkbox ā€œReturn all rowsā€ back or Markā€™s idea of ā€œmatchingā€ into Kinetic. Itā€™s way down out list of things-to-do but if I donā€™t have to make a custom function Iā€™d be quite happy.

1 Like

In older versions, I always set the default in the sysconfigā€¦ on MY workstation
of course Iā€™d never to that for ā€œregularā€ end users

2 Likes

Oh yeah, I always changed the default return to a higher number than standard but only for me too.

Oh, really? :rofl:

And would you still do that running Kinetic UI on a tablet while on roaming data? :thinking:

:wink:

I honestly donā€™t see myself using Kinetic on a tablet too often, some of our users sure but not myself unless Iā€™m out-of-office without my laptop for some reason.