Mass re-sequence BOO using DMT

Hello users,

I’m looking to mass re-sequencing all the BOOs of our database (around 10,000 parts). There were a lot of manual updates made to the parts so the majority of current sequences look like:

5 10 13 15 20 25 27 30 40 50 60 (just an example)

I want to use DMT to mass re-sequence them all back to 10 20 30 40 50 etc.

If this is possible, may I ask what will happen to the related material after the re-sequencing exercise?

For example: Mtl 10 is associated with Opr 5. After re-sequence, would they be automatically updated accoardingly to the new Opr sequence? Thanks.

Best,
Dan

Dan,

Testing would be the best answer, but off the top of my head,

• I think it will let you do that
  • Don’t do that

I have done something similar, where I changed the related operation on material. It let me, but it sure wreaked havoc later on because some of those related operations didn’t exist!

Fun fact: if you do give material a non-existent related op, and you copy the method in Engineering Workbench, it skips that material and keeps the rest. With no warning. Not a fun day that was.

And welcome to the group!

1 Like

Are you a Product Configurator user? If so, be careful as renumbering won’t transfer to your Configurator Rules.

1 Like

I think going the DMT route would require a lot more work than you realize.

You’d Effectively be deleting and re-adding each record.

I recall there being an function in Eng Workbench to do this. Try doing one in Eng WB with tracing turned on, and see if it might be something you could do via calls to the same BO method(s)

Edit

after a re-read, its even harder to do with DMT - because it’s not just re sequencing the Ops, it’s making sure any materials tied to them are redirected too.

After looking at the DMT template for BOO, there is field OldOprSeq

with the description
The original or old OprSeq. Used when changing the OprSeq.

So maybe it is as simple as a just having the OprSeq and OldOprSeq fields and using the Update process of DMT.

ECOGroupID is listed as required, so ypu might need to checkout the part first, update it then check it back in.

1 Like

I also need this to work, but alas, it does not. I added the RowMod and SysRowID fields and it does not work in Update mode. In Add New, it simply adds a new Operation. Unless someone has a fancy way of doing this, I may have to automate this all via code (on 72979 Parts)…

1 Like

I think the DMT method would require adding new Op’s where you want them, then removing the old ones. This could take several iterations per Asy, as some sequence #'s might already be in use. Like if the current OpSeq were 5, 10, 12, 15, 20. And you wanted 10, 20, 30, 40, 50. You would have to:

1. Add 30(copy of 12), 40(copy of 15), and 50(copy of 20)
  2. Delete 12,15, and 20
  3. Add 20(copy of 10)
  4. Delete 10
  5. Add 10(copy of 5)
  6. Delete 5

And after every one of those Add steps above, you’d need to update the Mtl table to point to the updated OpSeq.

I’d give another look at the BO’s in Eng WB, to see if there’s a call you can make that does this automatically.

1 Like