Material salvage

epicor version 9.05.701

Does anybody have a process guide for material salvage?

Material Salvage Functionality
Navigate to this sheet/program:
•Service Job Entry > Job Details > Materials > Material Salvage

Use the Material Salvage sheet to enter salvage information on a selected material. This information lets you create credit back to the job; it indicates how much of the planned scrap quantity can be recovered to use again on a different job.

Burden
Displays the estimated burden unit credit.

Description

Displays a concise explanation of the salvaged part. If the current part exists in your part master file, this description defaults from the part record.

If you need to edit or view the description, click the Description button. This lets you enter a longer part description. You can also use this feature to enter a description in one or more different languages.

Description
Displays a concise explanation of the salvaged part. If the current part exists in your part master file, this description defaults from the part record.

If you need to edit or view the description, click the Description button. This lets you enter a longer part description. You can also use this feature to enter a description in one or more different languages.

Labor
Displays the estimated labor unit credit.

Material
Displays the estimated material unit credit.

Mtl Bur Unit Credit
Specifies the material burden cost per unit being credited back to the job for this salvaged part. This value is calculated by using the Salvage Material Burden Rate. You cannot edit this field. You can change this value, however, by editing the Salvage Material Burden Rate field.

Part
Specifies the part number of the salvaged item. This is a required field.

The number can be the same as the material part number. It can also be a different number; this lets you track the scrap separately within your inventory. If you do not know this number, click the Salvage Part button to find and select the part you need.

Important: Salvage operations cannot be carried out for a part that has been set up as non-quantity bearing on its Part master. A part becomes non-quantity bearing when the Quantity Bearing check box on its Part master is de-selected.

Salvage Mtl Burden Rate
Specifies the estimated material burden percentage of this salvage material; this value is used to calculate any unallocated costs. For example storage and purchasing cost are material burden costs, as they do not directly apply to the part.

If this part exists in your part master file, the rate defined on the part record appears by default. You may change this value if you need.

Salvage material burden percentages are multiplied by the estimated unit credit to calculate estimated material burden credit.

Material Burden Unit Credit = Unit Credit x Salvage Material Burden Rate

Salvage Part
Specifies the part number of the salvaged item. This is a required field.

The number can be the same as the material part number. It can also be a different number; this lets you track the scrap separately within your inventory. If you do not know this number, click the Salvage Part button to find and select the part you need.

Important: Salvage operations cannot be carried out for a part that has been set up as non-quantity bearing on its Part master. A part becomes non-quantity bearing when the Quantity Bearing check box on its Part master is de-selected.

Salvage Quantity Per
Specifies the material scrap factor. A percentage, this factor is then multiplied against the Required Quantity (found on the Material Detail sheet) to calculate the expected salvage quantity. This is the quantity of the material salvaged for each base unit of the parent job material. If you need, you can change this factor.

Expected Salvage Quantity = Required Quantity x Salvage Quantity Per

After entering the quantity, select the UOM code that represents the unit of measure (for example, Each, Case, Cubic Centimeters) in which the quantity is being expressed. The default is the base UOM code defined for the job assembly part in the Primary UOMs - Inventory field in Part Maintenance.

To calculate an amount for this numeric field, right-click in the field, and from the context menu, select Calculator.

Salvage UOM
Displays default unit of measure for the salvaged part.

Subcontract
Displays the estimated subcontract unit credit.

Unit Credit
Specifies the cost per unit being credited back to the job for each base unit of the salvaged part. If the salvaged part exists in the part master file, the unit cost from the part record appears by default. For example:

The Unit Credit is multiplied by the expected salvage quantity to calculate a salvage credit amount.

Salvage Credit Amount = Expected Salvage Quantity x Unit Credit

3 Likes

I keep getting error on Job Receipt to Salvage. “Material Salvage Credit Cannot exceed Job Material Material Cost.”

Do you know why this is the case?

Thanks,
Cyle

Hi Cyle,

We have found that when we do salvage to stock off a job the cost of the part(s) being salvaged need to be less than or equal to the value of the material selected to be salvaged from.

Nancy

Hi Nancy,

Thanks for the fast response. I was thinking the same thing, but for some reason I am still getting the error. Perhaps I am still missing the something small or overlooking something.

Job Entry Screen of Material with Salvage:

Salvage Screen shot from Job Entry Screen:

Job Receipt to Salvage Detail Tab:

Job Receipt to Salvage Cost Tab: Note over ride costs selected to be less than cost of original component.

Error Message:

The part that you are salvaging against was issued to the job, correct?

Nancy

I double checked and can confirm it has been issued to the job. As I was checking, it occurred to me that the original material and the salvage material is marked as serialized. Do you think this causes issues?

I’m not sure if serialization would cause this problem. However, the Actual cost shows 39.09 on that …117 part. Could this be the culprit? Why don’t you take down the …690118 cost of part below 39.09 a bit and see if that helps?

1 Like

You are 100% correct. I used $35 dollars to see it it would work and it does. I now see the issue. The job entry displays the avg. cost, however, the production detail shows the FIFO layer cost which is the issue.

I did another one that wasn’t working and took the exact cost from the production detail report and it worked as well.

I appreciate the help. I definitely wasn’t thinking about the FIFO layer cost and was taking the cost from the job entry screen rather than the production detail report.

Thanks again.
Cyle

1 Like