MES is going Slower after inactivity

Hello World,
I got some difficulty with the MES, When no employee use it for like 30 minutes and someone try to login he froze and it can took 2 -3 min to became usable.
Someone have some solution about this problem ?
I read that the trace can “fix” but it’s not the best way to work for the server.
So if someone got a solution please let me know or if I find something I will post it here

Is the problem the MES or the Computer?

Everythings is fine with the Computer he never bust 40 % of ram / Hardrive / Memory, so I pretty sure it’s the MES.

Does the user totally log out and clock out regularly? - I am not sure what does it, but while I was a customer, the users that didn’t clock out for months at a time would complain about super long time at log in. When I recommended that he totally clock out and and than back in, it was fixed. He just logs out/ clocks out every night and back in every morning and all was well.

I hope this helps.

1 Like

Do you have photos associated with the employee when they clock in / log in?

tvoytko:
For your question. Yes they did, someone logout them if they forgot to do it.
The problem is when the computer is Innactive and no one is log in. So when the user arrive to clock in it’s very horrible the time it takes to him to only enter his employee number. The MES Froze for few minutes and after that the number appear.
I think it’s a dead time of the MES after time the link with the DB is killed so he needs to reconnect and etc … but the session is not killed by the system because I already can see it.

utaylor
I don’t but they just cant enter an employee number because MES doesnt respond for like 2 - 3 minute.

So it’ is just the MES program that “freezes”. All other program on the computer run okay (specifically ones that use the network connection)?

Does this computer go into a sleep or low power mode, possibly turning off the ethernet/WiFi?

We have a script to close our MES every night for this reason… but we do it out of superstition. I have no idea if the link between the DB and the timeout is the issue.

ckrusen :
Only the MES Freezes, i can do everything in the computer.

utaylor :
It’s not only in the morning … It’s when the computer was not use for like 30 min to 1 hours we got the same problem !

Is this happening on a single computer or all computers with the MES?

If you install and launch the MES on your PC and leave it running for a period of time unattended what happens?

Is this the standard MES or have you customized the MES menu - if so if you revert to the standard MES does this work.

In the main Epicor client if you go to shop tracker and “Who is here” do you have any employees whose clock in date is before today - if so login to the MES and clock them out.

It’s happening on every MES in production.

I will test on my computer tomorrow. If the problem happen.

And if I got problem i will try to load it without Customization
For the clock out we already have some employee to log out others employee if they forgot to do it

I test it this morning and it’s slower on my desktop but it doesnt freezes (my MES stay open all night).

I know you said you asked the folks on the shop floor to clock each other out but on the off chance that they just stopped production activity - in the main Epicor client if you run shop tracker does it show anyone as here under the tab labelled “who is here” - do any of them show a clock in date in the past

I got 2 in december

Log onto the mes as them and clock them out - if they have jobs running do an end activity. This will most likely be the cause of the slowness. I would log in and clock out any employees whose clock in date is in the past.

This does’nt change anything. I continue to search some answer about this problem

You might want to get with an IT Professional to gather better data. For example, when that happens whats the CPU Peaking at, which processes are top 10, whats the Disk I/O. What’s the Power Setting on the PC’s (Energy Saver, Max Power).

Whats the Operating System, Computer Model.

Which Epicor version specifically.

What does Windows “Event Viewer” show under Administrative Events. Is it a specific PC or anyone running Epicor MES, regardless of PC Make/OS.

If this is a Virtual PC / RDS - Do you use Azure etc…

When did this start, I assume you had no issues in the past? If you know the Date, what Window Updates KB’s have been installed since?

All of that information is important, because as you know in the IT the more data we have, the better we can help… Don’t want to direct you to just uninstall this KB, when it might not be for your case…

Example:

I see several mentions of “Log out” and “Clock Out” above… I just want to add some clarity.

• Clock In: What you do at the beginning of the day
  • Log In: What you do in the middle of the day so that you can start/stop production
  • Log Out: What you do in the middle of the day when done Starting/stopping production
  • Clock out: What you do at the end of the shift… before clocking out, you MUST stop all production.

It is this CLOCK OUT step that is most important. If you have users that never clock out, then they never release all the transactions that they did during the day… these transactions build up and make it slower and slower to log-in/start production/log-out.
STORY TIME: I once had a customer who had ONE USER who complained about bad speed… we thought it was a CPU problem because this only happened at her workstation. She was a shop floor production reporter for a large manufacturing department, so everything went through her. But then someone said “Yea… she is on her 3rd user ID… the first 2 got really slow… they only last about 2 months before we have to abandon them”WAIT… WHAT?… I had someone else use her work station and it worked well (not a hardward problem)… I had her come up to IT dept, and log in… it was really slow. Turns out that she had 1000s of jobs that she had reported production against since she last “Clocked in”… I had her clock out and clock back in, and the problem went away. FYI, you can SEE the last time someone clocked in by looking at the production tracker “Who is here” tab… it says when they clocked in… if it is before today, you may have a problem.

All Workstation do this Virtual or Physical. I see that the Physical is faster but it’s look like the Workstation is on Dead Time because most of the time it when I enter the Employee Number. It tooks long time to Clock IN (only when the workstation is unuse for like 8 hours).
Closing the MES can repair that ?

Do your users use generic accounts for MES or do they all have their own login? We use a generic user account for all MES terminals and then the users clock in and out with just their empid and of course into activities. For the generic user account, since it is not a full license, we set the License Timeout to 600 or 10 hours so the session no longer has to grab a license. I’ve found that when this account goes idle, it take a little more time to grab it. Not sure if that is the issue, but thought it might help.

Eric