MES Kinetic

Thanks, I managed to figure that out, but I get weird screens after that and can’t seem to get anything to work.

I click accept.

Not sure what to enter here to make it happy.

Enter my Epicor user name & password, but no luck…

The same thing happens when I try the HomePageUrl value https:///<YourServer.Tld>//Apps/Erp/Home

Nevermind, I got it working; it wanted <YourServer.Tld/YourAppServerInstance> as the server in the second window.

2 Likes

is this favicon for MES normal vs. the ActiveHome Page?

That’s the default angular favicon i’m guessing Epicor doesn’t (yet) expect you to access MES via the URl

Gotcha!

I’m trying to see if it would be possible to do simple MES things on an inexpensive Android tablet.

1 Like

Good news is it seems to work fairly well on our old Nexus 9.

In my really short testing, there is only 1 major issue; job attachments do not seem to work. They show up under job detail, but the button doesn’t seem to do anything. This happens in the desktop browser as well, but not in the ‘real’ MES kinetic app.

I’m guessing that’s because it uses the CEFSharp (engine) to call in the Attachment DLL stuff which you can’t do in the browser native.

2 Likes

I think so too and CEFSharp then opens up a Communication Bridge between C# and JavaScript.

Who would we have to ping at Epicor to find out what the plan to handle that is. That would be pretty difficult to do direct from the browser unless it’s very specific document types, blob stored, and downloadable

1 Like

Ouch… we really need that attachment function to work as well…

I wonder if Docstar attachments would work?

I don’t think they expect you (us) to be running this on the Browser Yet. That’s vNext (500+) if I had a guess.

1 Like

It does work @MikeGross if you run MES from within Epicor. @nhutchins is coloring outside the lines and running MES in the browser. Which I don’t believe is supported (yet)

Right, I saw that. We too want to put a bunch of cheap android devices down on the shop floor (about 30 of them) and not deal with client distributions or Remote Apps (RDP/TS) like we’re doing now.

We need to be able to do MES, plus use a few other apps we’re working on for the mobile platform, and access EDA (potentially) and maybe a little bit of PowerApps/Flow… We don’t have it all figured out yet…

The key for us is having access to our technical drawings via attachments and MES - the rest is all gravy - so I keyed in to what @nhutchins was saying…

4 Likes

Well, that stinks… It doesn’t work on EWA either:

This feature is currently not supported by the Epicor Web Access framework. The operation may not work as expected. The Ice.Lib.Framework.AttachmentHandler object is currently not implemented, so the function GetDocTypeList is also unsupported.

Maybe someday. MES & attachments on tablets would allow us to go paperless. Still, the rest of MES seems to be working, except for any non-kinetic apps. Either of you know what setting I’m missing to make this work? I have EWA deployed and can log in via a browser…

2 Likes

I never was good about following the known approved path…

3 Likes

The various Ice.BO.AttachmentSvc services in REST might get you there…if you could customize the form…Soooooo. Not yet.

2 Likes

None of the additional screens will work basically you can start and end labor that’s it form kinetic, everything else is launched via CEF calling the smart client (obvs not available on mobile)

just interesting that the warning you get when you try one, references EWA, which would be great if that worked because it would at least launch a semi-usable form.

Are you saying the new ‘kinetic’ MES really is only ‘kinetic’ on the labor entry screen, and everything else is still fat client?

For the time being yes. Ostensibly until the conversion is complete you are still limited to using the client on a Windows PC unless you are doing really simple transactions clock in and out. For any indirect folks that need to switch activities it will be a great and speedy help.