Migration of Ver 8.03

Bernie, 

Thanks!  I just loaded DMT for version 10, I wasn't expecting the new migration phases since I have only seen version 8.03.

This is will be very helpful. 

I know this is a pretty open question, with no right answer ...

We're current running 8.03.409C on Win Server 2003 (OE10.1B), and looking to move on up.  

Off the top of my head, my options are:

1. Migrate 8.03.409C and OE to a new Win Server 2008

2. Migrate 8.03.409C and OE to a new Win Server 2008, and Upgrade to E9

3. Virgin installation E10, setup E10 to better match current business practices, import select data from E8 (Parts, Customers, BOM's etc...)

I'd like to hear from anyone  who has done any of these.  Your pros & cons, unexpected prob's etc ...

Thanks

Calvin Krusen

MATCOR Inc

We are in the process of moving from 8.03 to E10.  Going live February 1st.  A consultant helped us make the decision to go to E10 and I still believe it was the way to go for us.  

We have been using different versions of the software for over 20 years and our 8.03 installation has many years of data that would have been difficult to migrate everything.  

We are redoing many of our processes and expanding our usage of the software so we went with a fresh install and DMTing necessary data (select customers, vendors, parts, etc.).

It really comes down to the quality of the data you have in 8.03 and how major the changes to match current business practices are.

Mark

We did #3 from Vantage 6.1 (and cloud system that did not work out) to 10.0.700.4..  We are very happy with the decision.   Company history went back to DCD-Classic and was largely obsolete so it was good to shed all that baggage.   We were able to reconfigure all the master tables and coding schemes to mirror current company and DMT made it easy to reference the new values when importing Customers and Parts (both seriously trimmed), etc…  Database is much smaller than it would have been so performance started out very good (still is).  It was extra work along the way but well worth it in the end.  Actually, as far as going the migration route the frustrations of data conversions and migrations might have been equally as much work without the benefits of clean data at the end.

My best hunch is if going to 10.x then V8.03 and prior is better as a fresh implementation.  E9’s it’s a coin toss depending on length of time on it, if database was migrated already from earlier versions and if there have been recent structural changes in  the business.

-Todd C.

From: vantage@yahoogroups.com [mailto:vantage@yahoogroups.com]
Sent: Wednesday, January 13, 2016 9:31 AM
To: vantage@yahoogroups.com
Subject: [Vantage] Migration of Ver 8.03

I know this is a pretty open question, with no right answer ...

We're current running 8.03.409C on Win Server 2003 (OE10.1B), and looking to move on up.  

Off the top of my head, my options are:

1. Migrate 8.03.409C and OE to a new Win Server 2008

2. Migrate 8.03.409C and OE to a new Win Server 2008, and Upgrade to E9

3. Virgin installation E10, setup E10 to better match current business practices, import select data from E8 (Parts, Customers, BOM's etc...)

I'd like to hear from anyone  who has done any of these.  Your pros & cons, unexpected prob's etc ...

Thanks

Calvin Krusen

MATCOR Inc

We just went Live in E10 on Jan 4th. We came from 8.03. One gotcha that happened to us was that we had planned  to use the DMT to migrate data, and we found out last minute that we would not be able to bring over transaction history using DMT. We quickly had to change our strategy and do a full migration. My biggest recommendation is to make sure you document all the changes or modification you make while testing leading up to your go-Live migration. (company config setting, epicor fixes, SQL queries, ect.)

ohh.. and when your users say they tested everything, make them test again cause there's always something they miss!

Larry Jedik
Currier Plastics
Thanks for the input.

While we've got lots of data we want to keep, we got way more that we don't.  And I'm not just talking about selective records, there are whole systems that we implemented poorly back Vista Version 4, and have haunted us aver since.

What exactly is "DMTing" ??  

Thanks again

Calvin
Twas a brain fart ... Data Management Tool , of course.

Calvin

In a nutshell in E10 DMT is the Data Management Tool.  It allows bulk importing from CSV or XLS(x) files that are properly formatted with field names as the column names.  Either updates or adds (or deletes too).  The data save processes follow the business logic rules that are the same as the data entry screen.  Think of it as robo-entry rather than manual entry through the screens.  Usually pretty quick – I’ve seen 1,000+ records per minute rates (very simple tables).

Very nice tool but restricted to the tables they have developed specific routines for.  Biggest deficit is the lack of support for most transaction type tables.  So preservation of history like that is lacking.  I think most sites that are re-implementing tend to archive their transaction histories to spreadsheets and such.

-Todd C.

Sent: Wednesday, January 13, 2016 1:25 PM
Subject: [Vantage] Re: Migration of Ver 8.03

Thanks for the input.

While we've got lots of data we want to keep, we got way more that we don't.  And I'm not just talking about selective records, there are whole systems that we implemented poorly back Vista Version 4, and have haunted us aver since.

Thanks again

Calvin

We used a UDxx table  for our historical records and DMT’d them in

Sent: Wednesday, January 13, 2016 2:44 PM
Subject: RE: [Vantage] Re: Migration of Ver 8.03

In a nutshell in E10 DMT is the Data Management Tool.  It allows bulk importing from CSV or XLS(x) files that are properly formatted with field names as the column names.  Either updates or adds (or deletes too).  The data save processes follow the business logic rules that are the same as the data entry screen.  Think of it as robo-entry rather than manual entry through the screens.  Usually pretty quick – I’ve seen 1,000+ records per minute rates (very simple tables).

Very nice tool but restricted to the tables they have developed specific routines for.  Biggest deficit is the lack of support for most transaction type tables.  So preservation of history like that is lacking.  I think most sites that are re-implementing tend to archive their transaction histories to spreadsheets and such.

-Todd C.

Sent: Wednesday, January 13, 2016 1:25 PM

Thanks for the input.

Thanks again

Calvin

CONFIDENTIALITY NOTICE

The information contained in this communication, including attachments, is privileged and confidential. It is intended only for the exclusive use of the addressee. If the reader of this message is not the intended recipient, or the employee or agent responsible for delivering it to the intended recipient, you are hereby notified that any dissemination, distribution or copying of this communication is strictly prohibited. If you have received this communication in error, please notify us at 727-578-6240 and immediately delete the communication.

"This (document/presentation) may contain technical data as defined in the International Traffic In Arms Regulations (ITAR) 22 CFR 120.10. Export of this material is restricted by the Arms Export Control Act (22 U.S.C. 2751 et seq.) and may not be exported to foreign persons without prior approval form the U.S. Department of State."
We did the Vantage 6.1 to E10 migration and the data came over fine except one of our UD fields caused a minor issue. What your users need to test (run and re-run) are all the reports. There have been many times where the reports did not show the data correctly even though the raw data in the tables was correct. We're on 10.0.700.4. Maybe 10.1 fixed some issues. 

I followed these steps and it works very smooth (and repeatable) going from V8 to E9
Currently working on a project going V8 to E10.1

1) created translation codes (ShortCharnn) in part class, product group, etc for remapping into a new code scheme in E9/ E10
2) Created BAQs reference the new codes in place of the current codes for Parts, PODetail, etc.
3) Created Process sets for Part tables, Supplier tables, etc.
4) Created and saved to process sets BAQ export processes 
5) Created DMT Scripts to read the exported tables
6) Run the scripts

I realized this is an outline, but could share the details if requested.
Using this approach was able to convert the company over in a weekend bringing in not only the setup tables but all open (and two years history) of Quotes, Orders, Jobs, and POs.

Also have done one year historical GL transactions via DMT too.

Let me know if you need more details, would be happy to share.

Bruce Larson
bruce@...

Bruce, 

We are currently running on Epicor 8.03.410 using Progress 10.1B.  Our biggest concern is the order that importing data into 10.1.400 should be done.  So, is there a specific order we should import the data into 10 before going live? We want to make sure that all links are still available are the data is imported. 

Thanks. 

In 10.1 DMT, click on “Management” on the right side in the dark bar, select migration, check out the “Phase” import items……

Sent: Wednesday, April 20, 2016 2:02 PM

Bruce, 

We are currently running on Epicor 8.03.410 using Progress 10.1B.  Our biggest concern is the order that importing data into 10.1.400 should be done.  So, is there a specific order we should import the data into 10 before going live? We want to make sure that all links are still available are the data is imported. 

Thanks.