Missing Assembly: System.Data.Linq?

I’m trying to create a DataContext class but I am unable to reference System.Data.Linq. It says the namespace does not exist in System.Data.

I asked a similar question a while back, so I apologize if this is off topic.

Can someone steer me in the right direction to resolve this?
Thanks as always!

Where are you trying to create a DataContext class?

I need to connect to an external database. I know I could just call an external query, but I wanted a little more elegant solution.
I’'ll be merging the results from that query with another data set, but only where they match on certain things.
The external query data set would be very large if unrestricted.

Ideally you don’t want to put DB queries in your front end customizations, that’s generally a bad idea for performance as well as other issues. (permissions , upgrade etc)

Using the External BAQ is the most “elegant” way to interact with an external dataset. You can limit the data source by using Parameters or Filters in your BAQs.

Ideally yes, but because the data is housed in separate databases, I’m not sure how I could avoid it while keeping context links.
I could create a view in SQL and then bring that in from an external BAQ, but I believe that I would lose all of the context links.

What do you mean by context links?

Like being able to right click on a part and opening that part up.

You won’t lose that comes from Like Column Values which can be set pretty easily on a DataView via Customization

1 Like

I did not know that, thank you! Ok, I think I’ll try that solution. Thanks!