Moving Vantage between domains / question about Progress Explore

Here's my response to Epicor's response which may help others in the future (Epicor sent me instructions on setting up Progress on a new server)

Thank you for the email although this wasn't the exact problem I was dealing with. Instead of setting up Vantage on a new server, I was just trying to change the domain that the current server was connected to. Last night I figured out what had to be done which was mainly changing the logon account for the "AdminService for PROGRESS 9.1D" service to the correct administrator account in the new domain. Then adding localhost with the correct login/password & port to the Progress Explorer Tool made everything work on the new profile (NEW-DOMAIN\Administrator's profile as opposed to OLD-DOMAIN\Administrator). Everything seems fine now and the call can be marked as closed if you'd like.

--- In vantage@yahoogroups.com, "rezn0rix" <reznuh@...> wrote:
>
> Hello all, I'm just going to paste what I just submitted to Epicor to see if I get any hits here. Feeling a bit dumb as I thought I was being cautious in planning ahead for this move, and I also bet it's an easy fix, just not something I expected. Thanks!:
>
> ------------------------------------------------------
>
> Hello. Over the past few months we've slowly been moving our entire network to a new domain, and we left our Email server and our Vantage server for last. Today I went ahead to try and move the Vantage server over (it is x86 Windows 2003). That part was fine except logging in as Administrator on the new side (a different account obviously than was being used before, OLD-DOMAIN\Administrator instead of NEW-DOMAIN\Administrator) resulted in no settings at all showing up in the Progress Explorer Tool, and apparently no services running - couldn't connect to the database (no locations, drive letters, share or security permissions, etc. changed at all, JUST the domain that the 2k3 machine was on). I quickly changed the machine back to the old domain and luckily everything is working again on the old profile so I am leaving it alone for now.
>
> I was hoping/wondering if you had any information or utils for doing such a move, if it was even as simple as copying the configuration of P.E.T. from one profile to another (although it seemed like there are some services not running that need to be on the new account). Even adding our databases manually would be fine with me, I just don't know the information needed to do so. We only have 2 databases running, our live one and a test one, we had two other test databases installed but they have been "off" for many months now. Also, I was wondering how I could find out what the password saved for the databases in the Progress Explorer Tool were, as you can only see ***'s in its place. Is it the same as the Windows account, or is this a manual setting someone would have chosen years ago?
>
> I have included a screenshot of what is completely missing when the server is on the new domain, i.e. I want to know how to "copy" all of the info in this screenshot onto another account locally on the computer.
>
> Thank you for any and all help.
> Zack Ready
>
Hello all, I'm just going to paste what I just submitted to Epicor to see if I get any hits here. Feeling a bit dumb as I thought I was being cautious in planning ahead for this move, and I also bet it's an easy fix, just not something I expected. Thanks!:

------------------------------------------------------

Hello. Over the past few months we've slowly been moving our entire network to a new domain, and we left our Email server and our Vantage server for last. Today I went ahead to try and move the Vantage server over (it is x86 Windows 2003). That part was fine except logging in as Administrator on the new side (a different account obviously than was being used before, OLD-DOMAIN\Administrator instead of NEW-DOMAIN\Administrator) resulted in no settings at all showing up in the Progress Explorer Tool, and apparently no services running - couldn't connect to the database (no locations, drive letters, share or security permissions, etc. changed at all, JUST the domain that the 2k3 machine was on). I quickly changed the machine back to the old domain and luckily everything is working again on the old profile so I am leaving it alone for now.

I was hoping/wondering if you had any information or utils for doing such a move, if it was even as simple as copying the configuration of P.E.T. from one profile to another (although it seemed like there are some services not running that need to be on the new account). Even adding our databases manually would be fine with me, I just don't know the information needed to do so. We only have 2 databases running, our live one and a test one, we had two other test databases installed but they have been "off" for many months now. Also, I was wondering how I could find out what the password saved for the databases in the Progress Explorer Tool were, as you can only see ***'s in its place. Is it the same as the Windows account, or is this a manual setting someone would have chosen years ago?

I have included a screenshot of what is completely missing when the server is on the new domain, i.e. I want to know how to "copy" all of the info in this screenshot onto another account locally on the computer.

Thank you for any and all help.
Zack Ready
What account is the open edge admin service using when you look at it in the services control panel screen (services.msc)

>
> Hello all, I'm just going to paste what I just submitted to Epicor to see if I get any hits here. Feeling a bit dumb as I thought I was being cautious in planning ahead for this move, and I also bet it's an easy fix, just not something I expected. Thanks!:
>
> ------------------------------------------------------
>
> Hello. Over the past few months we've slowly been moving our entire network to a new domain, and we left our Email server and our Vantage server for last. Today I went ahead to try and move the Vantage server over (it is x86 Windows 2003). That part was fine except logging in as Administrator on the new side (a different account obviously than was being used before, OLD-DOMAIN\Administrator instead of NEW-DOMAIN\Administrator) resulted in no settings at all showing up in the Progress Explorer Tool, and apparently no services running - couldn't connect to the database (no locations, drive letters, share or security permissions, etc. changed at all, JUST the domain that the 2k3 machine was on). I quickly changed the machine back to the old domain and luckily everything is working again on the old profile so I am leaving it alone for now.
>
> I was hoping/wondering if you had any information or utils for doing such a move, if it was even as simple as copying the configuration of P.E.T. from one profile to another (although it seemed like there are some services not running that need to be on the new account). Even adding our databases manually would be fine with me, I just don't know the information needed to do so. We only have 2 databases running, our live one and a test one, we had two other test databases installed but they have been "off" for many months now. Also, I was wondering how I could find out what the password saved for the databases in the Progress Explorer Tool were, as you can only see ***'s in its place. Is it the same as the Windows account, or is this a manual setting someone would have chosen years ago?
>
> I have included a screenshot of what is completely missing when the server is on the new domain, i.e. I want to know how to "copy" all of the info in this screenshot onto another account locally on the computer.
>
> Thank you for any and all help.
> Zack Ready
>
Thanks for the reply. It doesn't look like we have that service listed, the two I can find that seem related to Vantage are:

AdminService for PROGRESS 9.1D / Status:Started / Startup Type:Automatic / Log On As:OLD-DOMAIN\administrator

ProService for 9.1D / Status:n/a / Startup Type:Manual / Log On As:Local System

I'm assuming AdminService's logon account will need to be changed to NEW-DOMAIN\administrator, but it still seems like the Progress Explorer TOol would be missing its entries still.

Thanks again,
Zack

--- In vantage@yahoogroups.com, "bw2868bond" <bwalker@...> wrote:
>
> What account is the open edge admin service using when you look at it in the services control panel screen (services.msc)
>
> --- In vantage@yahoogroups.com, "rezn0rix" <reznuh@> wrote:
> >
> > Hello all, I'm just going to paste what I just submitted to Epicor to see if I get any hits here. Feeling a bit dumb as I thought I was being cautious in planning ahead for this move, and I also bet it's an easy fix, just not something I expected. Thanks!:
> >
> > ------------------------------------------------------
> >
> > Hello. Over the past few months we've slowly been moving our entire network to a new domain, and we left our Email server and our Vantage server for last. Today I went ahead to try and move the Vantage server over (it is x86 Windows 2003). That part was fine except logging in as Administrator on the new side (a different account obviously than was being used before, OLD-DOMAIN\Administrator instead of NEW-DOMAIN\Administrator) resulted in no settings at all showing up in the Progress Explorer Tool, and apparently no services running - couldn't connect to the database (no locations, drive letters, share or security permissions, etc. changed at all, JUST the domain that the 2k3 machine was on). I quickly changed the machine back to the old domain and luckily everything is working again on the old profile so I am leaving it alone for now.
> >
> > I was hoping/wondering if you had any information or utils for doing such a move, if it was even as simple as copying the configuration of P.E.T. from one profile to another (although it seemed like there are some services not running that need to be on the new account). Even adding our databases manually would be fine with me, I just don't know the information needed to do so. We only have 2 databases running, our live one and a test one, we had two other test databases installed but they have been "off" for many months now. Also, I was wondering how I could find out what the password saved for the databases in the Progress Explorer Tool were, as you can only see ***'s in its place. Is it the same as the Windows account, or is this a manual setting someone would have chosen years ago?
> >
> > I have included a screenshot of what is completely missing when the server is on the new domain, i.e. I want to know how to "copy" all of the info in this screenshot onto another account locally on the computer.
> >
> > Thank you for any and all help.
> > Zack Ready
> >
>
I know if the PET can't connect to the admin service, it won't show anything. Change the admin service to new domain administrator account or (I) use a local admin account for the machine. In fact, on my test box, I have 2 local accounts - one for Vantage8 and the other for Epicor9 (ports tweaked in registry to concurrently run different versions of open edge)

>
> Thanks for the reply. It doesn't look like we have that service listed, the two I can find that seem related to Vantage are:
>
> AdminService for PROGRESS 9.1D / Status:Started / Startup Type:Automatic / Log On As:OLD-DOMAIN\administrator
>
> ProService for 9.1D / Status:n/a / Startup Type:Manual / Log On As:Local System
>
> I'm assuming AdminService's logon account will need to be changed to NEW-DOMAIN\administrator, but it still seems like the Progress Explorer TOol would be missing its entries still.
>
>
> Thanks again,
> Zack
>
> --- In vantage@yahoogroups.com, "bw2868bond" <bwalker@> wrote:
> >
> > What account is the open edge admin service using when you look at it in the services control panel screen (services.msc)
> >
> > --- In vantage@yahoogroups.com, "rezn0rix" <reznuh@> wrote:
> > >
> > > Hello all, I'm just going to paste what I just submitted to Epicor to see if I get any hits here. Feeling a bit dumb as I thought I was being cautious in planning ahead for this move, and I also bet it's an easy fix, just not something I expected. Thanks!:
> > >
> > > ------------------------------------------------------
> > >
> > > Hello. Over the past few months we've slowly been moving our entire network to a new domain, and we left our Email server and our Vantage server for last. Today I went ahead to try and move the Vantage server over (it is x86 Windows 2003). That part was fine except logging in as Administrator on the new side (a different account obviously than was being used before, OLD-DOMAIN\Administrator instead of NEW-DOMAIN\Administrator) resulted in no settings at all showing up in the Progress Explorer Tool, and apparently no services running - couldn't connect to the database (no locations, drive letters, share or security permissions, etc. changed at all, JUST the domain that the 2k3 machine was on). I quickly changed the machine back to the old domain and luckily everything is working again on the old profile so I am leaving it alone for now.
> > >
> > > I was hoping/wondering if you had any information or utils for doing such a move, if it was even as simple as copying the configuration of P.E.T. from one profile to another (although it seemed like there are some services not running that need to be on the new account). Even adding our databases manually would be fine with me, I just don't know the information needed to do so. We only have 2 databases running, our live one and a test one, we had two other test databases installed but they have been "off" for many months now. Also, I was wondering how I could find out what the password saved for the databases in the Progress Explorer Tool were, as you can only see ***'s in its place. Is it the same as the Windows account, or is this a manual setting someone would have chosen years ago?
> > >
> > > I have included a screenshot of what is completely missing when the server is on the new domain, i.e. I want to know how to "copy" all of the info in this screenshot onto another account locally on the computer.
> > >
> > > Thank you for any and all help.
> > > Zack Ready
> > >
> >
>
+1 on smells like service account issue to to me.

Not to hijack thread, but anyone know what ports the PET uses to connect to a remote system? If I have windows firewall turned on I can't connect between servers. Unable to find anything in the documentation or from Epicor. I tried some netstat sniffing but there's so much else on that server it's going to be a chore to sift through it.

--- In vantage@yahoogroups.com, "bw2868bond" <bwalker@...> wrote:
>
> I know if the PET can't connect to the admin service, it won't show anything. Change the admin service to new domain administrator account or (I) use a local admin account for the machine. In fact, on my test box, I have 2 local accounts - one for Vantage8 and the other for Epicor9 (ports tweaked in registry to concurrently run different versions of open edge)
>
> --- In vantage@yahoogroups.com, "rezn0rix" <reznuh@> wrote:
> >
> > Thanks for the reply. It doesn't look like we have that service listed, the two I can find that seem related to Vantage are:
> >
> > AdminService for PROGRESS 9.1D / Status:Started / Startup Type:Automatic / Log On As:OLD-DOMAIN\administrator
> >
> > ProService for 9.1D / Status:n/a / Startup Type:Manual / Log On As:Local System
> >
> > I'm assuming AdminService's logon account will need to be changed to NEW-DOMAIN\administrator, but it still seems like the Progress Explorer TOol would be missing its entries still.
> >
> >
> > Thanks again,
> > Zack
> >
> > --- In vantage@yahoogroups.com, "bw2868bond" <bwalker@> wrote:
> > >
> > > What account is the open edge admin service using when you look at it in the services control panel screen (services.msc)
> > >
> > > --- In vantage@yahoogroups.com, "rezn0rix" <reznuh@> wrote:
> > > >
> > > > Hello all, I'm just going to paste what I just submitted to Epicor to see if I get any hits here. Feeling a bit dumb as I thought I was being cautious in planning ahead for this move, and I also bet it's an easy fix, just not something I expected. Thanks!:
> > > >
> > > > ------------------------------------------------------
> > > >
> > > > Hello. Over the past few months we've slowly been moving our entire network to a new domain, and we left our Email server and our Vantage server for last. Today I went ahead to try and move the Vantage server over (it is x86 Windows 2003). That part was fine except logging in as Administrator on the new side (a different account obviously than was being used before, OLD-DOMAIN\Administrator instead of NEW-DOMAIN\Administrator) resulted in no settings at all showing up in the Progress Explorer Tool, and apparently no services running - couldn't connect to the database (no locations, drive letters, share or security permissions, etc. changed at all, JUST the domain that the 2k3 machine was on). I quickly changed the machine back to the old domain and luckily everything is working again on the old profile so I am leaving it alone for now.
> > > >
> > > > I was hoping/wondering if you had any information or utils for doing such a move, if it was even as simple as copying the configuration of P.E.T. from one profile to another (although it seemed like there are some services not running that need to be on the new account). Even adding our databases manually would be fine with me, I just don't know the information needed to do so. We only have 2 databases running, our live one and a test one, we had two other test databases installed but they have been "off" for many months now. Also, I was wondering how I could find out what the password saved for the databases in the Progress Explorer Tool were, as you can only see ***'s in its place. Is it the same as the Windows account, or is this a manual setting someone would have chosen years ago?
> > > >
> > > > I have included a screenshot of what is completely missing when the server is on the new domain, i.e. I want to know how to "copy" all of the info in this screenshot onto another account locally on the computer.
> > > >
> > > > Thank you for any and all help.
> > > > Zack Ready
> > > >
> > >
> >
>
UPDATE: Opening TCP 20931 and TCP 58756 works for me. Not sure if that's standard, but may help someone else.

--- In vantage@yahoogroups.com, "k99ja04" <jallmond@...> wrote:
>
> +1 on smells like service account issue to to me.
>
> Not to hijack thread, but anyone know what ports the PET uses to connect to a remote system? If I have windows firewall turned on I can't connect between servers. Unable to find anything in the documentation or from Epicor. I tried some netstat sniffing but there's so much else on that server it's going to be a chore to sift through it.
>
> --- In vantage@yahoogroups.com, "bw2868bond" <bwalker@> wrote:
> >
> > I know if the PET can't connect to the admin service, it won't show anything. Change the admin service to new domain administrator account or (I) use a local admin account for the machine. In fact, on my test box, I have 2 local accounts - one for Vantage8 and the other for Epicor9 (ports tweaked in registry to concurrently run different versions of open edge)
> >
> > --- In vantage@yahoogroups.com, "rezn0rix" <reznuh@> wrote:
> > >
> > > Thanks for the reply. It doesn't look like we have that service listed, the two I can find that seem related to Vantage are:
> > >
> > > AdminService for PROGRESS 9.1D / Status:Started / Startup Type:Automatic / Log On As:OLD-DOMAIN\administrator
> > >
> > > ProService for 9.1D / Status:n/a / Startup Type:Manual / Log On As:Local System
> > >
> > > I'm assuming AdminService's logon account will need to be changed to NEW-DOMAIN\administrator, but it still seems like the Progress Explorer TOol would be missing its entries still.
> > >
> > >
> > > Thanks again,
> > > Zack
> > >
> > > --- In vantage@yahoogroups.com, "bw2868bond" <bwalker@> wrote:
> > > >
> > > > What account is the open edge admin service using when you look at it in the services control panel screen (services.msc)
> > > >
> > > > --- In vantage@yahoogroups.com, "rezn0rix" <reznuh@> wrote:
> > > > >
> > > > > Hello all, I'm just going to paste what I just submitted to Epicor to see if I get any hits here. Feeling a bit dumb as I thought I was being cautious in planning ahead for this move, and I also bet it's an easy fix, just not something I expected. Thanks!:
> > > > >
> > > > > ------------------------------------------------------
> > > > >
> > > > > Hello. Over the past few months we've slowly been moving our entire network to a new domain, and we left our Email server and our Vantage server for last. Today I went ahead to try and move the Vantage server over (it is x86 Windows 2003). That part was fine except logging in as Administrator on the new side (a different account obviously than was being used before, OLD-DOMAIN\Administrator instead of NEW-DOMAIN\Administrator) resulted in no settings at all showing up in the Progress Explorer Tool, and apparently no services running - couldn't connect to the database (no locations, drive letters, share or security permissions, etc. changed at all, JUST the domain that the 2k3 machine was on). I quickly changed the machine back to the old domain and luckily everything is working again on the old profile so I am leaving it alone for now.
> > > > >
> > > > > I was hoping/wondering if you had any information or utils for doing such a move, if it was even as simple as copying the configuration of P.E.T. from one profile to another (although it seemed like there are some services not running that need to be on the new account). Even adding our databases manually would be fine with me, I just don't know the information needed to do so. We only have 2 databases running, our live one and a test one, we had two other test databases installed but they have been "off" for many months now. Also, I was wondering how I could find out what the password saved for the databases in the Progress Explorer Tool were, as you can only see ***'s in its place. Is it the same as the Windows account, or is this a manual setting someone would have chosen years ago?
> > > > >
> > > > > I have included a screenshot of what is completely missing when the server is on the new domain, i.e. I want to know how to "copy" all of the info in this screenshot onto another account locally on the computer.
> > > > >
> > > > > Thank you for any and all help.
> > > > > Zack Ready
> > > > >
> > > >
> > >
> >
>