MRP Dependability

I understand your worry and concern, but yes MRP can be trusted if the information you have in Vantage is correct.
Â
Like you, we do a considerable amount of subcontract, machining and assembly.
Â
I don't know how you are scheduling, but we do Finite. That means we schedule our "Operations". The other way is Infinite scheduling and we got away from that.
Â
You will need to learn about: Production Calendar, Supplier Calendar, Horizons on Resources, Resource Group, MRP Suggestions, Job Suggestions, Global Scheduling, Calculate Global Scheduling, Adjust Global Scheduling Order, Job Scheduling Board, Multi Resource Scheduling Board, Locking Jobs and how far to run MRP (We go 13 weeks) Longest operation or subcontract lead time.
Â
Remember that some of your operation time comes from your Bill of Material (BOM). If the BOM is wrong you will have serious scheduling issues. If your Production Calendar and Supplier calendar are wrong you will have issues.. There is a lot of setup involved when MRP comes into the picture.
Â
Remember that Job Suggestions are just that, Suggestions. Scheduling all of your jobs and then manipulating them through out its life cycle is a lot easier then scheduling a job Just in Time or in a small window of time. Get all of your jobs scheduled, locked and set. If you need to move your jobs or operations (Like we do every day) then unlock them, set the priority for the jobs, re-lock them then run Global Scheduling. After all is scheduled the Suggestions are all you have to read.
Â
You can read about this on the Vantage Epicweb under Documentation.
Â
Jonathan LangÂ
Oil Rite Corporation
Sr. Network Administrator
Ph: (920) 682-6173 Ext: 126
Fax: (920) 682-7699

--- On Tue, 4/21/09, m_sprowles <msprowles@...> wrote:

Subject: [Vantage] MRP Dependability
To: vantage@yahoogroups.com
Date: Tuesday, April 21, 2009, 3:17 PM

We have been live on Vantage since 2/2/09 and have yet to feel comfortable with our MRP process. We are on 407a and run MRP in regen mode once a night.. We are a large machine manufacturer that outsources as much of its product as it makes. Our prior system had a very stable MRP but since February the Vantage MRP run provides suprises on a daily basis.

The issues are anything from MRP creating unfirmed jobs that are unnecessary, (and unexplainable) , to MRP not calculating a suggestion/unfirm job, or anything at all for actual requirements. I know that some of the problems are user generated. I believe some are configuration generated, (i.e. we do not fully understand what MRP is doing to a specific part), and I also believe that some problems are actual Epicor bugs.

I have been sending these issues to Epicor support and we get a great variety of answers, (from "the system panics" to "that is occuring by design", to "that is a user/data issue"). As a result nothing gets resolved. Is there a resource anywhere that explains the MRP process that Vantage uses so that we could walk a part through the logic and find the answers ourselves? I have asked Epicor for such a document and they say that it doesn't exist. We need to be able to explain why problems are happening so that we can resolve the problems. We are beginning to amass sizeable overages in our inventory and no one is relying on the system for MRP data.

Any assistance would be greatly appreciated. ..

[Non-text portions of this message have been removed]
We have been live on Vantage since 2/2/09 and have yet to feel comfortable with our MRP process. We are on 407a and run MRP in regen mode once a night. We are a large machine manufacturer that outsources as much of its product as it makes. Our prior system had a very stable MRP but since February the Vantage MRP run provides suprises on a daily basis.

The issues are anything from MRP creating unfirmed jobs that are unnecessary, (and unexplainable), to MRP not calculating a suggestion/unfirm job, or anything at all for actual requirements. I know that some of the problems are user generated. I believe some are configuration generated, (i.e. we do not fully understand what MRP is doing to a specific part), and I also believe that some problems are actual Epicor bugs.

I have been sending these issues to Epicor support and we get a great variety of answers, (from "the system panics" to "that is occuring by design", to "that is a user/data issue"). As a result nothing gets resolved. Is there a resource anywhere that explains the MRP process that Vantage uses so that we could walk a part through the logic and find the answers ourselves? I have asked Epicor for such a document and they say that it doesn't exist. We need to be able to explain why problems are happening so that we can resolve the problems. We are beginning to amass sizeable overages in our inventory and no one is relying on the system for MRP data.

Any assistance would be greatly appreciated...
If you have not looked at the MRP Tech Ref Guide, that is a good start.
Its on the Epicweb / Vantage / Documentation / Release 8.03.407

--- In vantage@yahoogroups.com, "m_sprowles" <msprowles@...> wrote:
>
> We have been live on Vantage since 2/2/09 and have yet to feel
comfortable with our MRP process. We are on 407a and run MRP in regen
mode once a night. We are a large machine manufacturer that outsources
as much of its product as it makes. Our prior system had a very stable
MRP but since February the Vantage MRP run provides suprises on a daily
basis.
>
> The issues are anything from MRP creating unfirmed jobs that are
unnecessary, (and unexplainable), to MRP not calculating a
suggestion/unfirm job, or anything at all for actual requirements. I
know that some of the problems are user generated. I believe some are
configuration generated, (i.e. we do not fully understand what MRP is
doing to a specific part), and I also believe that some problems are
actual Epicor bugs.
>
> I have been sending these issues to Epicor support and we get a great
variety of answers, (from "the system panics" to "that is occuring by
design", to "that is a user/data issue"). As a result nothing gets
resolved. Is there a resource anywhere that explains the MRP process
that Vantage uses so that we could walk a part through the logic and
find the answers ourselves? I have asked Epicor for such a document and
they say that it doesn't exist. We need to be able to explain why
problems are happening so that we can resolve the problems. We are
beginning to amass sizeable overages in our inventory and no one is
relying on the system for MRP data.
>
> Any assistance would be greatly appreciated...
>
We resolved a lot, but certainly not all, of these issues by restoring the Live 3:00 AM backup into Test which is after MRP ran. In Test, the Time Phase shows the data MRP is working with. Once people login to Live, this data starts changing and the Time Phase is out of sync with MRP. That confused a lot of people until we started looking at the Time Phase in Test. Then they began to trust MRP more.

--- In vantage@yahoogroups.com, "m_sprowles" <msprowles@...> wrote:
>
> We have been live on Vantage since 2/2/09 and have yet to feel comfortable with our MRP process. We are on 407a and run MRP in regen mode once a night. We are a large machine manufacturer that outsources as much of its product as it makes. Our prior system had a very stable MRP but since February the Vantage MRP run provides suprises on a daily basis.
>
> The issues are anything from MRP creating unfirmed jobs that are unnecessary, (and unexplainable), to MRP not calculating a suggestion/unfirm job, or anything at all for actual requirements. I know that some of the problems are user generated. I believe some are configuration generated, (i.e. we do not fully understand what MRP is doing to a specific part), and I also believe that some problems are actual Epicor bugs.
>
> I have been sending these issues to Epicor support and we get a great variety of answers, (from "the system panics" to "that is occuring by design", to "that is a user/data issue"). As a result nothing gets resolved. Is there a resource anywhere that explains the MRP process that Vantage uses so that we could walk a part through the logic and find the answers ourselves? I have asked Epicor for such a document and they say that it doesn't exist. We need to be able to explain why problems are happening so that we can resolve the problems. We are beginning to amass sizeable overages in our inventory and no one is relying on the system for MRP data.
>
> Any assistance would be greatly appreciated...
>
MRP results/behavior is VERY dependent upon how you are shedulings (make to order, job, stock - what is comon for you?) Is your capacity model finite or infinite? Do you use priority multipliers? Do you lock job scheds or reshuffle with the global (and how often)? Do you reshed in process OPs? Have swallowed default bias to backward sched or wisely gone with forward (with priorities)? Please tell me you don't constrain materials or use 'minimize wip'. Do you (try to) use contract POs? Do you find allocations don't match actual requirements? How accurate (measured) BOMs, routing times & inv accuracy?

More detials on your environment (and any unexpected or undesirable MRP bahavior/results would sure help one/some of us in helping you. The more backgound details the better. (Drown me!)

Rob Brown

--- Original Message ---
Sent:Tue 4/21/09 4:18 pm
To:vantage@yahoogroups.com
Subj:[Vantage] MRP Dependability

We have been live on Vantage since 2/2/09 and have yet to feel comfortable with our MRP process. We are on 407a and run MRP in regen mode once a night. We are a large machine manufacturer that outsources as much of its product as it makes. Our prior system had a very stable MRP but since February the Vantage MRP run provides suprises on a daily basis.

The issues are anything from MRP creating unfirmed jobs that are unnecessary, (and unexplainable), to MRP not calculating a suggestion/unfirm job, or anything at all for actual requirements. I know that some of the problems are user generated. I believe some are configuration generated, (i.e. we do not fully understand what MRP is doing to a specific part), and I also believe that some problems are actual Epicor bugs.

Any assistance would be greatly appreciated...