Multiple make-direct orders; one job?

This is, I hope, a very quick question. I am not at all familiar with the production / scheduling end of the world.

We have a make-direct part, MD1. Let’s say we have three different customers who order MD1 at about the same time for shipment at about the same time. Is it possible to make all three MD1 in the same job, even though they are being shipped different places?

If we know it is possible, we will investigate how that can be done. To me it seems like it should be able to be done, but we have gotten conflicting opinions when the parts are make-direct.

Thanks!

If you’re batching multiple SO’s into one production run, that’s not direct. That’s make to stock.

IMHO.

Yes, on one job you can have multiple Make to Order entries to supply the SO demands.

I’m not an MRP expert, but I believe (just like POs) the jobs can be planned this way.

Thanks to both of you. We will see what we can see… and whether it makes sense to do so.

@skhayatt , in my opinion it is a very bad idea to do this based on experience. While it is possible to do, it causes all sorts of problems with scheduling. I am currently living through this hell and will ALWAYS suggest against doing this exact thing.

A JOB IN EPICOR CAN ONLY TRACK TO ONE DATE!!!

Say the first order you took was for 12/1. You create the job based on that order. Tomorrow, an order comes in from a second customer for the same part but with a due date of 11/28. If you add this demand to the first job, the due date for both orders will be 12/1! 2 days past the due date of 11/28. Now lets say you have the option to synchronize job due date to order release turned on and the first customer pushes their date out to 12/5. The job will update to a due date of 12/5 and you will be 7 days late to the second customer.

This example is just the tip of the iceberg when having multiple releases linked to one job. Please save yourself the pain and suffering and do not try implementing this process.

3 Likes

Thanks so much for your advice.

Just because you can doesn’t mean you should.
Never anywhere else have I ever found this advice to be more true.

2 Likes

Got it!