New to Updatable BAQ's

That's a good idea. I'll start with those. I don't always seem to have the right tools at my fingertips around here.
I'm just starting to learn about using updateable BAQ's and am trying to learn what I can and can't or more likely should and shouldn't do with them. I know that they can bypass some of the checks and rules in the system so I don't know what they bypass and don't bypass. One problem that we would like to fix in to make things easier is to be able to adjust reported quantities more quickly/easily. If a shop employee makes a mistake and accidentally over reports, the supervisor can go into time and expense and adjust the error. However, that T and E screen is rather clunky and takes a lot of time.

I would like to be able to present the labor entries in a grid view in and be able to filter by job number, employee number, date, maybe part number, and then be able to update the quantity from that grid.

I will also note that we backflush any materials not purchased directly to the job.

If I use an updatable BAQ to change the reported quantities, will the same issuing steps happen for the materials? Both in positive and negative? Or will this BAQ act like the job adjustment screen where it only changes the fields without all of the other processes happening after the entry? Would the way to fix this be to map the fields to other tables so that the adjustment gets made by the BAQ? Also, would the histories show up the same as they did if we use the stock screens.

Thanks for any insight, and I apologize for my ignorance.

Updatable BAQ's are very powerful but they should be used within the confines of the busines objects. If you want to do a Quantity Adjustment or a Labor Entry Adjustment you CAN use the Updatable BAQ's but you need to run a trace on each of those processes and write the code to call all the appropriate business logic within the Updatable BAQ Code.
Otherwise you will likely corrupt your DB

Jose C Gomez
Software Engineer

T: 904.469.1524 mobile

Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?

On Fri, Jun 3, 2016 at 3:41 PM, brandonanderson7979@... [vantage] <vantage@yahoogroups.com> wrote:

Â
<div>

<p>I&#39;m just starting to learn about using updateable BAQ&#39;s and am trying to learn what I can and can&#39;t or more likely should and shouldn&#39;t do with them. I know that they can bypass some of the checks and rules in the system so I don&#39;t know what they bypass and don&#39;t bypass. One problem that we would like to fix in to make things easier is to be able to adjust reported quantities more quickly/easily. If a shop employee makes a mistake and accidentally over reports, the supervisor can go into time and expense and adjust the error. However, that T and E screen is rather clunky and takes a lot of time.<br><br>I would like to be able to present the labor entries in a grid view in and be able to filter by job number, employee number, date, maybe part number, and then be able to update the quantity from that grid.<br><br>I will also note that we backflush any materials not purchased directly to the job.<br><br>If I use an updatable BAQ to change the reported quantities, will the same issuing steps happen for the materials? Both in positive and negative? Or will this BAQ act like the job adjustment screen where it only changes the fields without all of the other processes happening after the entry? Would the way to fix this be to map the fields to other tables so that the adjustment gets made by the BAQ? Also, would the histories show up the same as they did if we use the stock screens.<br><br>Thanks for any insight, and I apologize for my ignorance.<br></p><p><span><br></span></p><p></p>

</div>

<div style="color:#fff;min-height:0;"></div>

Does anyone know where to get some more in depth training on the BO's and updateable BAQ's? I went through the training packet for BAQ's and it walked me through how to make an updateable BAQ, but it doesn't tell you why you pick what you do or lay out any of the other options. I tried creating the BAQ for my solution that I listed prior in the training environment, but when I try to update, it come back with an error.

BPM DQ Customization attached to the ICE.EPIC06/LaborDtlAdjustment.Update method contains outdated directives:
    'BASE' (BaseProcessing)

It's kind of pain that is lets you pick outdated updates, you would think it would check for that before you select it.

Anyways, I know that I don't know what I am doing but I would like to learn, and the help materials that I have are crap. Any suggestions would be great.
1 Like

Unfortunately, what you are attempting to do is quite complicated. Have you written BPMs with custom code yet? Same rules apply to Updatable BAQs when you are trying to do something as specialized as what you are proposing.

Your environment should never have outdated directives unless you have recently migrated… so I’m not sure what that is about? What that is telling you is that for the BO you have selected you have BPMs in your system that are out of date. You can use the search in BPM Maint to find the out of date ones.

Joshua Giese
Technology Solutions : CXO

Direct Phone:    920.593.8299
Office Phone:    920.437.6400 x342

http://wcibags.com/email/emailFooter4.jpg

From: vantage@yahoogroups.com [mailto:vantage@yahoogroups.com]
Sent: Friday, June 3, 2016 15:27
To: vantage@yahoogroups.com
Subject: [Vantage] Re: New to Updatable BAQ's

Does anyone know where to get some more in depth training on the BO's and updateable BAQ's? I went through the training packet for BAQ's and it walked me through how to make an updateable BAQ, but it doesn't tell you why you pick what you do or lay out any of the other options. I tried creating the BAQ for my solution that I listed prior in the training environment, but when I try to update, it come back with an error.

BPM DQ Customization attached to the ICE.EPIC06/LaborDtlAdjustment.Update method contains outdated directives:
    'BASE' (BaseProcessing)

It's kind of pain that is lets you pick outdated updates, you would think it would check for that before you select it.

Anyways, I know that I don't know what I am doing but I would like to learn, and the help materials that I have are crap. Any suggestions would be great.

Well, I am in the training database that was provided by Epicor, so I don't know why they would have put those in there I guess.

No I have not written BPM's with custom code, or any BPM's for that matter. I've figured out regular BAQ's and Dashboards on my own. I don't have a coding background. Hence the need for training.

We just wend live with E-10 on March 1 from vantage 8 (which I never used, I started in August and was just told to wait until they started using the new software before digging into any of this). But, like I said, I am playing around in the training database which doesn't have any of our information in it. Are the BO's tied to specific databases? or are they shared? I would imagine that they are specific because EPIC06 is from the training database, and not ours.

The BPMs are specific to each database. I would recommend getting a copy of your live data setup in a test server and playing in there. The training database in general for anything thing more than superficial changes isn’t overly helpful.

Joshua Giese

Sent: Friday, June 3, 2016 15:50
To: vantage@yahoogroups.com
Subject: RE: [Vantage] Re: New to Updatable BAQ's

Well, I am in the training database that was provided by Epicor, so I don't know why they would have put those in there I guess.

No I have not written BPM's with custom code, or any BPM's for that matter. I've figured out regular BAQ's and Dashboards on my own. I don't have a coding background. Hence the need for training.

We just wend live with E-10 on March 1 from vantage 8 (which I never used, I started in August and was just told to wait until they started using the new software before digging into any of this). But, like I said, I am playing around in the training database which doesn't have any of our information in it. Are the BO's tied to specific databases? or are they shared? I would imagine that they are specific because EPIC06 is from the training database, and not ours.

I'll try that and see if I get any farther.
You are going to have to write custom code to do what you want to accomplish. I think someone else asked a similar question yesterday but without a coding background or an epicor background is going to be very hard to jump right in. I recommend you get yourself familiar with C# and .NET platform which is what you'll need to use to write BPMs and Customizations and further more I recommend you ask your company to pay for training from Epicor which will get you much closer to what you need. They have a few customization classes and such you can take from them.

Have you looked at the ICE Tools Guide and the Customization guide ? as well as all the technical reference manuals that Epicor provides?

I suggest you start there before going much further with any particular project. Even if you muddle your way through it you want to make sure you are doing it right :-)

Jose C Gomez
Software Engineer

On Fri, Jun 3, 2016 at 4:53 PM, brandonanderson7979@... [vantage] <vantage@yahoogroups.com> wrote:

Â
<div>

<p>I&#39;ll try that and see if I get any farther.</p>

</div>

<div style="color:#fff;min-height:0;"></div>

Also make sure you go to Epicor Insights and local user’s groups you will be able to garner a lot of information/ideas from those.

Joshua Giese

Sent: Friday, June 3, 2016 16:04
To: Vantage <vantage@yahoogroups.com>
Subject: Re: [Vantage] Re: New to Updatable BAQ's

You are going to have to write custom code to do what you want to accomplish. I think someone else asked a similar question yesterday but without a coding background or an epicor background is going to be very hard to jump right in. I recommend you get yourself familiar with C# and .NET platform which is what you'll need to use to write BPMs and Customizations and further more I recommend you ask your company to pay for training from Epicor which will get you much closer to what you need. They have a few customization classes and such you can take from them.

Have you looked at the ICE Tools Guide and the Customization guide ? as well as all the technical reference manuals that Epicor provides?

I suggest you start there before going much further with any particular project. Even if you muddle your way through it you want to make sure you are doing it right :-)

Jose C Gomez

Software Engineer

On Fri, Jun 3, 2016 at 4:53 PM, brandonanderson7979@... [vantage] <vantage@yahoogroups.com> wrote:

I'll try that and see if I get any farther.