No GL "Department Setup" in Epicor 9. What is the equivalent fr

You're welcome...glad to save someone else from the same problem :)
Have a good weekend!

We are new to testing our Epicor9 and have found that there is no “department” setup under General Ledger…Setup anymore as it was in version 8.  What is the equivalent and/or where did the data that we had in 8 get moved to when we upgraded to 9.   I noticed the JCDept field no longer exists in LaborDtl and I used this field in many a report.  Does anyone know where this information is now.  How do you know what department the work was performed in Epicor9?  I am at a loss.

Mike Abell

Information Technology Manager
Flexial - BOA Group - Cookeville, Tennessee
Office:   931.432.8408
Mobile:  615.418.3055

email:  MAbell@...

>>I noticed the JCDept field no longer exists in LaborDtl
Just checking, you do see the field but it's blank in your LaborDtl records?
New records or the converted V8 data?

Looks like the entry in Data Dictionary hasn't been updated.
- LaborDtl.JCDept:
-- The Department in which the work was done.
-- Default is from WrkCenter.JCDEpt.(ResourceGroup)
>>GL Setup - no department menu item in E9
Wonder if you've looked at departments here?
GL --> Setup -- Account Segment Values
-- Select the Chart of Accounts
-- Select "Segment" Department

And if you haven't already discovered, a lot of the GL summary data that was in V8 tables has been removed. In E9 you can now find GL details in a new table - TransGLC.
There is a spreadsheet in the files section that lists keys to use when linking to different tables.

Bruce, thanks, actually the “JCDept” field IS still in LaborDtl, it’s the GLDept field that is gone and THAT is the one I need.  It was our 2 digit department number that the work was performed in.  It looks like this information has been moved and is now under a menu choice under the Finance module called GL Control Codes but I can’t find anything on what I could link in that table (GLCntrl) to get it back to the LaborDtl record.  Any ideas???

Mike Abell

From: vantage@yahoogroups.com [mailto:vantage@yahoogroups.com]
Sent: Wednesday, August 05, 2015 1:00 PM
To: vantage@yahoogroups.com
Subject: [Vantage] Re: No GL "Department Setup" in Epicor 9. What is the equivalent from v8???

And if you haven't already discovered, a lot of the GL summary data that was in V8 tables has been removed. In E9 you can now find GL details in a new table - TransGLC.
There is a spreadsheet in the files section that lists keys to use when linking to different tables.

>>GLCntrl
Not this specific table off the top of my head.
I know I've used it in BAQ's before,,, I remember I just used trial and error to get what I wanted.

Also, you might want to take a look at the TransGLC in the form files section (Epicior 9).
Or call Epicor Tech support, they have a TransGLC spreadsheet they can email too.
To make sure I understand, you want when an employee logs in a job, the appropriate cost is booked to the appropriate department.

You have to set-up a job department under Job Maintenance – Set-up – Department. The individual department must be set-up, then link the GL control set-up in GL control maintenance to the department. In addition, that department must be link to the employee in the employee maintenance.

When you set-up the GL control for the department, you do not have to enter in the entire account number, just enter the department number in the segment group that represent the department (ie. Our accounts are set-up as chart-division-department-cost center, so in the GL control department the account information is 00-00-30-00).

Hope this helps.

Deirdre Sykes | Finance Supervisor
GSI Technologies, LLC | 311 Shore Drive | Burr Ridge, IL 60527
dsykes@...<mailto:dsykes@...> | Phone: 630.590.8112 | Fax: 630.325.8197

Celebrating 30 Years of Excellence!

Like us on Facebook: [facebook] <https://www.facebook.com/pages/GSI-Technologies/624368870969219> Click: [linkedin] <http://www.linkedin.com/company/2690732?trk=vsrp_companies_cluster_name&trkInfo=VSRPsearchId%3A176974291386194698817%2CVSRPtargetId%3A2690732%2CVSRPcmpt%3Acompanies_cluster> and [followlinkedin] <http://www.linkedin.com/company/gsi-technologies?trk=company_name> us on Linked-In

Sent: Wednesday, August 05, 2015 1:12 PM
Subject: RE: [Vantage] Re: No GL "Department Setup" in Epicor 9. What is the equivalent from v8???

Bruce, thanks, actually the “JCDept” field IS still in LaborDtl, it’s the GLDept field that is gone and THAT is the one I need. It was our 2 digit department number that the work was performed in. It looks like this information has been moved and is now under a menu choice under the Finance module called GL Control Codes but I can’t find anything on what I could link in that table (GLCntrl) to get it back to the LaborDtl record. Any ideas???

Mike Abell
Office: 931.432.8408
Mobile: 615.418.3055
email: MAbell@...<mailto:MAbell@...>

From: vantage@yahoogroups.com<mailto:vantage@yahoogroups.com> [mailto:vantage@yahoogroups.com]
Sent: Wednesday, August 05, 2015 1:00 PM
To: vantage@yahoogroups.com<mailto:vantage@yahoogroups.com>
Subject: [Vantage] Re: No GL "Department Setup" in Epicor 9. What is the equivalent from v8???

CONFIDENTIALITY: The information contained in this email message, including any attachment(s), may be privileged and confidential and protected from disclosure. The email is not intended for transmission to, or receipt by, any unauthorized persons. If the reader of this message is not the intended recipient, or an employee or agent responsible for delivering this message to the intended recipient, you are hereby notified that any dissemination, distribution, or copying of this communication or use of the information contained herein is strictly prohibited. If you have received this electronic mail transmission in error, please delete it from your system without copying or disseminating, and notify the sender by Reply email, so that our address record can be corrected.

[Non-text portions of this message have been removed]
Mike,

The GL Dept in the employee table is no longer maintained in E9. This information is in the EntityGLC table. Set criteria for company and also RelatedToFile (PREmpMas). The EmpID is held in Key1. There you will find the GL Control Types for Department (our have division links also) along with the GL Control Code. When you add a new employee in E9 you will need to add in a GL control for the department. We still have converted values in the PREmpMas.GLCodes field, but they are no longer maintained in E9. You'll need to link to the EntityGLC table to get current GL codes.

Sue

Sue, that is GREAT information to know…THANK YOU THANK YOU THANK YOU.  I create are a report to do our payroll import file for ADP using the GL dept of the PREmpMas table so you just saved me a ton of future problems.  Do you know where the GLDept filed in the LaborDtl  table got moved to or the new equivalent?  That’s the other one that I need but it is GONE completely from LaborDtl in E9.  

Mike Abell

Sent: Thursday, August 06, 2015 8:35 AM
Subject: RE: [Vantage] Re: No GL "Department Setup" in Epicor 9. What is the equivalent from v8???

Mike,

The GL Dept in the employee table is no longer maintained in E9. This information is in the EntityGLC table. Set criteria for company and also RelatedToFile (PREmpMas). The EmpID is held in Key1. There you will find the GL Control Types for Department (our have division links also) along with the GL Control Code. When you add a new employee in E9 you will need to add in a GL control for the department. We still have converted values in the PREmpMas.GLCodes field, but they are no longer maintained in E9. You'll need to link to the EntityGLC table to get current GL codes.

Sue

Hi Mike,

The GL link to LaborDtl is in the TranGLC table. You'll want to set criteria for company and the RelatedToFile = LaborDtl. EntityGLC and TranGLC work the same way. The EntityGLC table holds the GL info for entities (employees, customers, part classes, etc.). The TranGLC table holds he GL info for transactions (check details, labor details, etc.). A couple of people mentioned there is a spreadsheet in the files section of this group. That spreadsheet is a very good guide to linking for both EntityGLC and TranGLC to access GL info.

I learned the hard way about the employees' new GL link. Our finance people didn't do their prep work in E9. When testing changes to payroll checks about a year later, I noticed some payroll dollars going to places they shouldn't go. (Thank heaven most of our labor is directed by the job and indirect codes rather than the employee.) But the salary, overtime, PTO, holiday pay, etc. were wrong for new employees and employees that changed departments. I made dashboards to help finance find dollars that needed to be moved. It was NOT fun!

Sue

Thanks so much for the info Sue.  I’m wondering why Epicor left the GLDept field in the PREmpMas table.  I could see your problem EASILY happening because of this.   This will be a pain in the tail to fix for us since it was so much more easier with that information being in just one table but at least there IS a workaround.  Thanks again!

Mike Abell

Sent: Friday, August 07, 2015 8:26 AM

Hi Mike,

The GL link to LaborDtl is in the TranGLC table. You'll want to set criteria for company and the RelatedToFile = LaborDtl. EntityGLC and TranGLC work the same way. The EntityGLC table holds the GL info for entities (employees, customers, part classes, etc.). The TranGLC table holds he GL info for transactions (check details, labor details, etc.). A couple of people mentioned there is a spreadsheet in the files section of this group. That spreadsheet is a very good guide to linking for both EntityGLC and TranGLC to access GL info.

I learned the hard way about the employees' new GL link. Our finance people didn't do their prep work in E9. When testing changes to payroll checks about a year later, I noticed some payroll dollars going to places they shouldn't go. (Thank heaven most of our labor is directed by the job and indirect codes rather than the employee.) But the salary, overtime, PTO, holiday pay, etc. wer e wrong for new employees and employees that changed departments. I made dashboards to help finance find dollars that needed to be moved. It was NOT fun!

Sue