No Servers Available

For a while now, I have been getting the “No Servers Available” error message popping up on all my stations. It forces you to close out of Vantage and re-launch it for it to work again. It seems that it is getting worse. I see it every morning on my workstation when I get in. We have not added any users lately. If anything, we lost users. It is very frustrating. Does anyone have any idea what could be going on?

Thank you,
Adam Smith

Hello Adam,

I would check the progress open edge app server connections on the server
pool. I would guess you are limited to say 10 server pool sessions and you
are going over this amount.

You may have stalled or orphaned sessions that need to be cleaned out.

How often do you reset the app servers? Weekly?

Brad

Brad.

Thanks for the response. Can you get a little more detailed on how to check the progress open edge app server connections please? If I am limited to, let’s say 10, how would I determine on how many server pools are needed and how do I change them?
I do not have a set schedule to reset the app servers. Only when we need to reset the server or if Vantage crashes.

Sorry for the limited knowledge in this. My manager quit a while ago and I was handed his responsibilities with no training. I have been learning as I go.

Thank you,

Adam Smith | IT Manager
Lapeer Industries
290 McCormick Dr., Lapeer, MI 48446
Phone: (810) 664-1816
Fax: (810) 664-7182
adam.smith@lapeerind.commailto:adam.smith@lapeerind.com

If you reset the apps servers this should clean out any orphaned sessions.

I would reset them weekly.

Brad

Do you know if there is a way to automate this on a schedule?

Thank you,

Adam Smith | IT Manager
Lapeer Industries
290 McCormick Dr., Lapeer, MI 48446
Phone: (810) 664-1816
Fax: (810) 664-7182
adam.smith@lapeerind.commailto:adam.smith@lapeerind.com

You can automate by using a batch file. Mine for 905 is attached. I also monitor using fathom. You can kill a single rogue appserver here or stop and start task or process server without killing users sessions.

Greg

[cid:image003.jpg@01D25D1E.00F78830]

Live Restart All Appservers.txt (976 Bytes)

Just an FYI… couple things I’ve seen cause “no server…” errors

Progress db… where I had an online backup scheduled via a batch file & it ran during business hours.
I would see the “no server…” errors while the backup was running if the bi file had grown beyond a certain size. Would have to disable the backup until I could truncate the bi.

And occasionally I’ve seen some dashboards or reports when run without any select criteria i.e. “wide open”. Would usually be listed in the system monitor, except for ODBC issues which are trickier to spot.