Off Topic: Data Connections

I'm currently running a remote site with 3MB in bonded T1s to our main site with 6MB in bonded T1s (with dynamic voice allocation to a PRI interface) with MPLS set up by the ISP and am able to run native clients on the remote site for E9. My ping times between sites are 10ms or less.

If you're stuck with T1s like I am, I'd recommend MPLS over VPN. In our previous remote site connected by VPN ping times were more like 40ms coupled with dormant connection issues.

If you're not stuck with T1s and are using Terminal Server, VPN should be just fine.

I would go with the dynamic T1s for your voice, I've found people typically overestimate their voice usage. I run VOIP extensions at the remote office and haven't had a complaint. Just estimate how many calls would be happening at once, each call will take about 1 of the 23 available channels in a T1. It really depends more on how many users are at the remote site and what their voice usage is like for deciding whether to segregate the voice circuits.

SB

--- In vantage@yahoogroups.com, "Robert" <robert.nupp@...> wrote:
>
> We have a couple satellite offices and I am in the process of looking at upgrading our data connections between our sites. We host our own exchange and some websites internally and each site connects to Epicor 9 through RDP to our terminal servers at our main office with most of our users being remote. Currently our set up is with a single 1.5Mbps T1 at each site (3.0Mbps T1 at our main location) and connected through Cisco ASA 5505 VPN. I am wanting to know if it would be more beneficial to go the route of upgrading each site to a 3.0Mbps T1 connection for Data (we are looking to go VoIP and use a dynamic T1 for voice and data) or to stick with a PRI for voice and do an MPLS network with 1.5Mbps for each site for data. From the quotes I am getting it seems to be about the same price (MPLS is a little more with the PRI included for each site). What I am wondering is if it would be better for connection speeds between sites for remote users for Epicor 9, email, file server access, and 4-digit dialing with the 3.0Mbps connection (voice and data) or the 1.5Mbps connection MPLS and Voice separate.
>
We have a couple satellite offices and I am in the process of looking at upgrading our data connections between our sites. We host our own exchange and some websites internally and each site connects to Epicor 9 through RDP to our terminal servers at our main office with most of our users being remote. Currently our set up is with a single 1.5Mbps T1 at each site (3.0Mbps T1 at our main location) and connected through Cisco ASA 5505 VPN. I am wanting to know if it would be more beneficial to go the route of upgrading each site to a 3.0Mbps T1 connection for Data (we are looking to go VoIP and use a dynamic T1 for voice and data) or to stick with a PRI for voice and do an MPLS network with 1.5Mbps for each site for data. From the quotes I am getting it seems to be about the same price (MPLS is a little more with the PRI included for each site). What I am wondering is if it would be better for connection speeds between sites for remote users for Epicor 9, email, file server access, and 4-digit dialing with the 3.0Mbps connection (voice and data) or the 1.5Mbps connection MPLS and Voice separate.
Depending on the size of your offices, you could potentially save a bundle
just running a Site-to-Site between your 5505s over a normal internet
connection. It's far cheaper than MPLS and as long as you aren't running SIP
or something that requires super-low latency, you should be just fine
running over the public tubes.

On Wed, Aug 3, 2011 at 10:27 AM, Robert <robert.nupp@...>wrote:

> **
>
>
> We have a couple satellite offices and I am in the process of looking at
> upgrading our data connections between our sites. We host our own exchange
> and some websites internally and each site connects to Epicor 9 through RDP
> to our terminal servers at our main office with most of our users being
> remote. Currently our set up is with a single 1.5Mbps T1 at each site
> (3.0Mbps T1 at our main location) and connected through Cisco ASA 5505 VPN.
> I am wanting to know if it would be more beneficial to go the route of
> upgrading each site to a 3.0Mbps T1 connection for Data (we are looking to
> go VoIP and use a dynamic T1 for voice and data) or to stick with a PRI for
> voice and do an MPLS network with 1.5Mbps for each site for data. From the
> quotes I am getting it seems to be about the same price (MPLS is a little
> more with the PRI included for each site). What I am wondering is if it
> would be better for connection speeds between sites for remote users for
> Epicor 9, email, file server access, and 4-digit dialing with the 3.0Mbps
> connection (voice and data) or the 1.5Mbps connection MPLS and Voice
> separate.
>
>