Oh BAQs... a Funny

Made me smile!, have a great day!

9 Likes

I laughed but then I thought, wait a second, do I really know what I am laughing at? I guess this means that DISTINCT kills your performance. I use it all the time. How would you replace DISTINCT to avoid a performance hit?

No its just saying that by Adding DISTINCT you are ignoring the problem. IE you are still getting duplicates, but only “printing” every other row. Still retrieving double though

3 Likes

That makes sense. Thanks Jose! I often use DISTICNT when I have a huge BAQ with many subs. Rather than go through and figure out exactly what I need to change I just slap a distinct in there (and watch my performance sink) hahaha!

1 Like

I try to find which join(s) cause the duplicate. Sometimes I have to use another table as the first table, sometimes a subquery, etc. Doesn’t mean I don’t use DISTINCT sometimes anyway.

1 Like

An easy trick I use is to display the SysRowIDs (of all the tables involved) and it quickly shows you which one is different. That one which is different is the one that is causing the duplication and then you can try to handle it.

9 Likes

That’s brilliant! I often struggle with adding in fields to find that distinction. I’ll try this next time. :slight_smile:

1 Like

The mouse pointer baked into the meme is the most triggering thing I’ve seen on the internet today.

3 Likes

@NateS is right, using SysRowID is brilliant idea.

What re you even talking about? :joy:

Is it sad that it was actually my mouse, I use a program called greenshot (awesome program BTW and free) and it always has the damn pointer in the way, you can delete it… but I’ve gotten used to it. So when I stole that meme from wherever (via screenshot) it got the hand pointer in there LoL
It happens so often I’ve learned to no longer see it (like my nose, it’s just always there and the brain ignores it)

#SorryNotSorry #ExposureTherapy

2 Likes

@Banderson saved all future memes by letting me know this setting existed

Except well it captured the mouse one last time inn this screenshot cause I hadn’t hit okay yet :joy:

2 Likes

The mouse is also a layered object in the capture that you can move and delete. Really nice for documentation

Note: it took me three screenshots of inception to set this up

3 Likes

Whaaat? All of those print-screens I deleted because of that mouse pointer… At least I know now.