OpenEdge 64 Bit - Hype or real benifit?

I just ran into the 64-bit Admin Tools issue as well. The word I got from Epicor support is that the Admin Tools have not been officially cleared for 64-bit, they are still recommending you install 32-bit progress on your server to run the admin tools in a 64-bit environment (you can install 32-bit progress on a 64-bit machine).

That being said, I did find an answer book (1465BRK) with instructions on how to run the Admin Tools off a 64-bit Progress install for 9.05.603 and up. I tried to set it up on my own and ran into problems - I had a clean install of 607 and there were some port/directory mix-ups.

I still am using a 32-bit admin server anyway, can get things done faster with the PET but I guess I really should start practicing with the OE Management Console.

Jenn

[Non-text portions of this message have been removed]
Hello,

Is there anyone who is running OpenEdge 64 Bit that can comment if there
are benefits to running it when compared to the 32 Bit version?

In theory, it sounds like having AppServers being able to access more
than 2GB of RAM is a good thing.

Joe Rojas | Director of Information Technology | Mats Inc
dir: 781-573-0291 | cell: 781-408-9278 | fax: 781-232-5191
jrojas@... | www.matsinc.com Ask us about our clean, green and beautiful matting and flooring

This message is intended only for the individual named. If you are not the named addressee you should not disseminate, distribute or copy this e-mail. Please notify the sender immediately by e-mail if you have received this e-mail by mistake. Please note that any views or opinions presented in this email are solely those of the author and do not necessarily represent those of the company.

It seems to be faster in my experience.

On Tue, Oct 25, 2011 at 1:51 PM, Joe Rojas <jrojas@...> wrote:

> **
>
>
> Hello,
>
> Is there anyone who is running OpenEdge 64 Bit that can comment if there
> are benefits to running it when compared to the 32 Bit version?
>
> In theory, it sounds like having AppServers being able to access more
> than 2GB of RAM is a good thing.
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
> Joe Rojas | Director of Information Technology | Mats Inc
> dir: 781-573-0291 | cell: 781-408-9278 | fax: 781-232-5191
> jrojas@... | www.matsinc.com Ask us about our clean, green and
> beautiful matting and flooring
>
> This message is intended only for the individual named. If you are not the
> named addressee you should not disseminate, distribute or copy this e-mail.
> Please notify the sender immediately by e-mail if you have received this
> e-mail by mistake. Please note that any views or opinions presented in this
> email are solely those of the author and do not necessarily represent those
> of the company.
>
> [Non-text portions of this message have been removed]
>
>
>

--
*Waffqle Driggers*
*High End Dev, System Design, Profit Drinking
*:: 904.962.2887*
*:: waffqle@...*
*:: NO FAXES*

For us the performance was quite a bit different. The main thing you have to do is use Server 2008 and ensure you create the drive partition you plan on installing to with an 8k block size.

However there are downsides when it comes to the management. You still have to have 32 progress (progress only, not epicor) installed somewhere else to do conversions and access the admin console.

"Zac" Jason Woodward
Network Administrator
Intermountain Electronics, Inc.
O: 877-544-2291
M: 435-820-6515
F: 435-637-9601
www.ie-corp.com

Creating customer confidence through extraordinary service and experienced industry experts.

-----Original Message-----
From: vantage@yahoogroups.com [mailto:vantage@yahoogroups.com] On Behalf Of Waffqle
Sent: Tuesday, October 25, 2011 11:58 AM
To: vantage@yahoogroups.com
Subject: Re: [Vantage] OpenEdge 64 Bit - Hype or real benifit?

It seems to be faster in my experience.

On Tue, Oct 25, 2011 at 1:51 PM, Joe Rojas <jrojas@...> wrote:

> **
>
>
> Hello,
>
> Is there anyone who is running OpenEdge 64 Bit that can comment if
> there are benefits to running it when compared to the 32 Bit version?
>
> In theory, it sounds like having AppServers being able to access more
> than 2GB of RAM is a good thing.
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
> Joe Rojas | Director of Information Technology | Mats Inc
> dir: 781-573-0291 | cell: 781-408-9278 | fax: 781-232-5191
> jrojas@... | www.matsinc.com Ask us about our clean, green and
> beautiful matting and flooring
>
> This message is intended only for the individual named. If you are not
> the named addressee you should not disseminate, distribute or copy this e-mail.
> Please notify the sender immediately by e-mail if you have received
> this e-mail by mistake. Please note that any views or opinions
> presented in this email are solely those of the author and do not
> necessarily represent those of the company.
>
>
>
>

--
*Waffqle Driggers*
*High End Dev, System Design, Profit Drinking
*:: 904.962.2887*
*:: waffqle@...*
*:: NO FAXES*

------------------------------------

Useful links for the Yahoo!Groups Vantage Board are: ( Note: You must have already linked your email address to a yahoo id to enable access. )
(1) To access the Files Section of our Yahoo!Group for Report Builder and Crystal Reports and other 'goodies', please goto: http://groups.yahoo.com/group/vantage/files/.
(2) To search through old msg's goto: http://groups.yahoo.com/group/vantage/messages
(3) To view links to Vendors that provide Vantage services goto: http://groups.yahoo.com/group/vantage/linksYahoo! Groups Links
Where did you read that the 8k block size is recommended? Everything I've read from Epicor indicates 4k block size. In fact we're running 9.05 and we use a 4k block size and the database is still running at the 4k block size so I'd be curious where you're reading the 8k from.

I know SQL likes 8k blocks, but we're running Progress.

--- In vantage@yahoogroups.com, Zac Jason Woodward <zac@...> wrote:
>
> For us the performance was quite a bit different. The main thing you have to do is use Server 2008 and ensure you create the drive partition you plan on installing to with an 8k block size.
>
> However there are downsides when it comes to the management. You still have to have 32 progress (progress only, not epicor) installed somewhere else to do conversions and access the admin console.
>
> "Zac" Jason Woodward
> Network Administrator
> Intermountain Electronics, Inc.
> O: 877-544-2291
> M: 435-820-6515
> F: 435-637-9601
> www.ie-corp.com
>
> Creating customer confidence through extraordinary service and experienced industry experts.
>
>
> -----Original Message-----
> From: vantage@yahoogroups.com [mailto:vantage@yahoogroups.com] On Behalf Of Waffqle
> Sent: Tuesday, October 25, 2011 11:58 AM
> To: vantage@yahoogroups.com
> Subject: Re: [Vantage] OpenEdge 64 Bit - Hype or real benifit?
>
> It seems to be faster in my experience.
>
> On Tue, Oct 25, 2011 at 1:51 PM, Joe Rojas <jrojas@...> wrote:
>
> > **
> >
> >
> > Hello,
> >
> > Is there anyone who is running OpenEdge 64 Bit that can comment if
> > there are benefits to running it when compared to the 32 Bit version?
> >
> > In theory, it sounds like having AppServers being able to access more
> > than 2GB of RAM is a good thing.
> >
> >
> >
> >
> >
> >
> >
> > Joe Rojas | Director of Information Technology | Mats Inc
> > dir: 781-573-0291 | cell: 781-408-9278 | fax: 781-232-5191
> > jrojas@... | www.matsinc.com Ask us about our clean, green and
> > beautiful matting and flooring
> >
> > This message is intended only for the individual named. If you are not
> > the named addressee you should not disseminate, distribute or copy this e-mail.
> > Please notify the sender immediately by e-mail if you have received
> > this e-mail by mistake. Please note that any views or opinions
> > presented in this email are solely those of the author and do not
> > necessarily represent those of the company.
> >
> > [Non-text portions of this message have been removed]
> >
> >
> >
>
>
>
> --
> *Waffqle Driggers*
> *High End Dev, System Design, Profit Drinking
> *
> *:: 904.962.2887*
> *:: waffqle@...*
> *:: NO FAXES*
>
> *
>
> *
>
>
>
>
>
> ------------------------------------
>
> Useful links for the Yahoo!Groups Vantage Board are: ( Note: You must have already linked your email address to a yahoo id to enable access. )
> (1) To access the Files Section of our Yahoo!Group for Report Builder and Crystal Reports and other 'goodies', please goto: http://groups.yahoo.com/group/vantage/files/.
> (2) To search through old msg's goto: http://groups.yahoo.com/group/vantage/messages
> (3) To view links to Vendors that provide Vantage services goto: http://groups.yahoo.com/group/vantage/linksYahoo! Groups Links
>
"Zac", I wanted to comment on the need to install the 'Admin Tools' on another machine running x32. A few weeks back I posted the question of running the 'Admin Tools' on a x64 machine and how I was having problems getting past errors. You replied that it was common and I would need to install the x32 OpenEdge and tools on a x32 machine. I did take that approach and still had issues (different than prior to my post). After much frustration I made one last ditch effort to find documentation on the x64 install and did find a piece on EpicWeb.

I am successfully running OpenEdge x64 and the 'Admin Tools' on a x64 machine (same machine as E9). I am able to launch the 'Admin Tools' and was able to complete all my conversions.

Just an FYI.

Jeff

--- In vantage@yahoogroups.com, Zac Jason Woodward <zac@...> wrote:
>
> For us the performance was quite a bit different. The main thing you have to do is use Server 2008 and ensure you create the drive partition you plan on installing to with an 8k block size.
>
> However there are downsides when it comes to the management. You still have to have 32 progress (progress only, not epicor) installed somewhere else to do conversions and access the admin console.
>
> "Zac" Jason Woodward
> Network Administrator
> www.ie-corp.com
>
> Creating customer confidence through extraordinary service and experienced industry experts.
>
>
> From: vantage@yahoogroups.com [mailto:vantage@yahoogroups.com] On Behalf Of Waffqle
> To: vantage@yahoogroups.com
>
>
> On Tue, Oct 25, 2011 at 1:51 PM, Joe Rojas <jrojas@...> wrote:
>
> > **
> >
> >
> > Hello,
> >
> >
> >
> >
> >
> >
> >
> >
> >
> > jrojas@... | www.matsinc.com Ask us about our clean, green and
> >
> > the named addressee you should not disseminate, distribute or copy this e-mail.
> >
> >
> >
> >
>
>
>
> --
> *Waffqle Driggers*
> *
> *:: waffqle@...*
>
> *
>
> *
>
>
>
>
>
>
> Useful links for the Yahoo!Groups Vantage Board are: ( Note: You must have already linked your email address to a yahoo id to enable access. )
> (1) To access the Files Section of our Yahoo!Group for Report Builder and Crystal Reports and other 'goodies', please goto: http://groups.yahoo.com/group/vantage/files/.
> (2) To search through old msg's goto: http://groups.yahoo.com/group/vantage/messages
> (3) To view links to Vendors that provide Vantage services goto: http://groups.yahoo.com/group/vantage/linksYahoo! Groups Links
>
sorry about the confusion on the tools, the x32 install of progress should be installed on another machine, x64 or x32 OS doesn't matter. Installing it on the same as the x64 progress install is asking for trouble and tech support will squawk at you.

"Zac" Jason Woodward
Network Administrator
www.ie-corp.com

Creating customer confidence through extraordinary service and experienced industry experts.

From: vantage@yahoogroups.com [mailto:vantage@yahoogroups.com] On Behalf Of jplehr
Sent: Wednesday, October 26, 2011 7:42 AM
Subject: [Vantage] Re: OpenEdge 64 Bit - Hype or real benifit?

"Zac", I wanted to comment on the need to install the 'Admin Tools' on another machine running x32. A few weeks back I posted the question of running the 'Admin Tools' on a x64 machine and how I was having problems getting past errors. You replied that it was common and I would need to install the x32 OpenEdge and tools on a x32 machine. I did take that approach and still had issues (different than prior to my post). After much frustration I made one last ditch effort to find documentation on the x64 install and did find a piece on EpicWeb.

I am successfully running OpenEdge x64 and the 'Admin Tools' on a x64 machine (same machine as E9). I am able to launch the 'Admin Tools' and was able to complete all my conversions.

Just an FYI.

Jeff

--- In vantage@yahoogroups.com<mailto:vantage%40yahoogroups.com>, Zac Jason Woodward <zac@...<mailto:zac@...>> wrote:
>
>
>
> "Zac" Jason Woodward
> Network Administrator
> www.ie-corp.com<http://www.ie-corp.com>
>
>
>
> From: vantage@yahoogroups.com<mailto:vantage%40yahoogroups.com> [mailto:vantage@yahoogroups.com<mailto:vantage%40yahoogroups.com>] On Behalf Of Waffqle
> To: vantage@yahoogroups.com<mailto:vantage%40yahoogroups.com>
>
>
> On Tue, Oct 25, 2011 at 1:51 PM, Joe Rojas <jrojas@...<mailto:jrojas@...>> wrote:
>
> > **
> >
> >
> > Hello,
> >
> >
> >
> >
> >
> >
> >
> >
> >
> > jrojas@... | www.matsinc.com<http://www.matsinc.com> Ask us about our clean, green and
> >
> >
> >
> >
> >
>
>
>
> --
> *Waffqle Driggers*
> *
> *:: waffqle@...*<mailto:waffqle@...*>
>
> *
>
> *
>
>
>
>
>
>
> (1) To access the Files Section of our Yahoo!Group for Report Builder and Crystal Reports and other 'goodies', please goto: http://groups.yahoo.com/group/vantage/files/.<http://groups.yahoo.com/group/vantage/files/>
>

You are correct in both instances. By default any prior to 9.05 progress is running on 4k block DB and can continue to do so without issue. If you upgrade to 905 progress x64 you can just back-up and restore your DB and it will continue to run with the 4k blocks just fine. You cannot run 8k block in an x32 progress installation.

However to truly maximize the performance you have to do a dump and load into the 8k empty DB that is provided with a new install. To maximize the Disk performance the block size of the disk should be equal the block size of the DB. By default server 2008 and older use the 4k block size. If using the 8k block DB every write takes 2 actions on the 4k block disk, instead of one and the performance benefit is partially, if not completely, lost.

Epicor will also not tell you a performance benefit if you do it yourself, they want you to pay them to do it. However you should dump and load your DB minimum once a year anyhow, why not plan for the upgrade at the same time?

"Zac" Jason Woodward
Network Administrator
www.ie-corp.com

From: vantage@yahoogroups.com [mailto:vantage@yahoogroups.com] On Behalf Of pbparker
Sent: Tuesday, October 25, 2011 4:10 PM
Subject: [Vantage] Re: OpenEdge 64 Bit - Hype or real benifit?

Where did you read that the 8k block size is recommended? Everything I've read from Epicor indicates 4k block size. In fact we're running 9.05 and we use a 4k block size and the database is still running at the 4k block size so I'd be curious where you're reading the 8k from.

I know SQL likes 8k blocks, but we're running Progress.

--- In vantage@yahoogroups.com<mailto:vantage%40yahoogroups.com>, Zac Jason Woodward <zac@...<mailto:zac@...>> wrote:
>
>
>
> "Zac" Jason Woodward
> Network Administrator
> www.ie-corp.com<http://www.ie-corp.com>
>
>
>
> From: vantage@yahoogroups.com<mailto:vantage%40yahoogroups.com> [mailto:vantage@yahoogroups.com<mailto:vantage%40yahoogroups.com>] On Behalf Of Waffqle
> To: vantage@yahoogroups.com<mailto:vantage%40yahoogroups.com>
>
>
> On Tue, Oct 25, 2011 at 1:51 PM, Joe Rojas <jrojas@...<mailto:jrojas@...>> wrote:
>
> > **
> >
> >
> > Hello,
> >
> >
> >
> >
> >
> >
> >
> >
> >
> > jrojas@... | www.matsinc.com<http://www.matsinc.com> Ask us about our clean, green and
> >
> >
> >
> >
> >
>
>
>
> --
> *Waffqle Driggers*
> *
> *:: waffqle@...*<mailto:waffqle@...*>
>
> *
>
> *
>
>
>
>
>
>
> (1) To access the Files Section of our Yahoo!Group for Report Builder and Crystal Reports and other 'goodies', please goto: http://groups.yahoo.com/group/vantage/files/.<http://groups.yahoo.com/group/vantage/files/>
>