Perspectives - feedback

> Can any of those that went to Perspectives share their reactions...
> for those who could not make it this year.
>
> My biggest question is: Was a road map given or presented to where
the
> Vantage product is being taken?
Yes. The next version of Vantage/Vista is expected to be Epicor for
Manufacturing 9.0.

> What significant features are being added or changed?
Version 8.03 has a number of new modules such as demand mananagement
for long contracts. Your CAM can tell you all about the new mods and
enhancements in 8.03.

> Is the 8.03 product ready for prime time?
I'm pushing customers that way.
Can any of those that went to Perspectives share their reactions...
for those who could not make it this year.

My biggest question is: Was a road map given or presented to where the
Vantage product is being taken?

What significant features are being added or changed?

Is the 8.03 product ready for prime time?

Bob Booth

[Non-text portions of this message have been removed]
Formally and informally (in hallway discussions, etc...) here are my observations....
1. I did not attend Vantage roadmap session but had received pretty much the same info a week earlier at local user meeting. Sometime about next spring or summer there will be two new releases which had been for awhile refered to as pre-8.05 (technology update) and 8.05. I heard at Perspectives the naming had been changed to pre-9.0 and 9.0. Main technology change is moving up to .Net 2.0. 9.0 (or as I heard it earlier 8.05) is to have a number of very interesting "standard" features.

2. From Epicor and from some users it appears great strides have been made in performance. Optimizing has been done in many screens both in 8.0 and 8.03 but 8.03 will probably take the lead in performance.

3. New sites seem to be fairing much better than sites converting from 6.1 with lots of data. Both in terms of speed as well as avoiding data conversion issues. Most people I spoke to felt it was now stable enough at least in the core modules.

4. I attended the V8 Admin workshop on Sunday and it was very helpful. Not only for tips but for just plain reassurance that it is not all that alien compared to 6.1. A few different concepts but basic admin is not all that different. I had not known the MFGWRKxx folders are all in one folder tree on the server with seperate sub-folders for each user. Support has a VB script to clean these folders.

5. Many 8.0 sites I spoke to are very eager for getting to 8.03 and apparently feel it is as ready as 8.0.

6. I took a number of labs and, personally, I expect that a lot of thought will need to be put into screen customizations and that the dashboard query capabilities are going to replace at least half my Report Builder reports. Very powerful stuff. The ability to query out to XML and feed a Crystal report located on Vantage menu tree will virtually eliminate ODBC.

7. Heard something about 8.03 having "Quick Searches" where you can marry a query with a search and add to screen to allow special filtered searches in file browsers (like part or customer). Could be a real time saver and/or performance booster.

8. General Perspectives Observations:
A) Very well attended and the ratio of orange (Vantage) tables at lunch to other colors was very high
B) The Jay Leno dinner went very well and (again IMHO) he is a lot funnier in person than on TV
C) As much as I like Las Vegas going to Orlando next year might be a nice change of pace
D) Curious about new module (someday) called Epicor Information Worker - using Office 2007 & Outlook 2007 with Vantage
E) YahooGroup meet was smaller than expected and the bar was half closed off for a private party so it was a bit crowded. But still nice to meet some group people in person.
F) EUG and Epicor are both setting up on-line forums for user interaction BUT both claim they aren't out to replace YahooGroup

If I think of anything else I'll post more later.

-Todd C.

PS...when I got back the new V8 test server was sitting in my office. Now I will see how much I really learned at Perspectives. ;)

-----Original Message-----
From: vantage@yahoogroups.com [mailto:vantage@yahoogroups.com]On Behalf Of Bob Booth
Sent: Wednesday, November 01, 2006 9:23 AM
To: vantage@yahoogroups.com
Subject: [Vantage] perspectives - feedback

Bob Booth

Todd,

I'm new to this User Group, so I haven't posted much, but I read a lot of information from here. Thanks for your very insightful view of Perspectives. I too attended this year and I couldn't agree with you more, on all of your topics.

Those that did not attend this year will do well to receive your information!

Thanks again!
Holly Reed
Cleveland, Ohio

----- Original Message ----
To: vantage@yahoogroups.com
Sent: Wednesday, November 1, 2006 12:05:12 PM
Subject: RE: [Vantage] perspectives - feedback

Formally and informally (in hallway discussions, etc...) here are my observations. ...
1. I did not attend Vantage roadmap session but had received pretty much the same info a week earlier at local user meeting. Sometime about next spring or summer there will be two new releases which had been for awhile refered to as pre-8.05 (technology update) and 8.05. I heard at Perspectives the naming had been changed to pre-9.0 and 9.0. Main technology change is moving up to .Net 2.0. 9.0 (or as I heard it earlier 8.05) is to have a number of very interesting "standard" features.

2. From Epicor and from some users it appears great strides have been made in performance. Optimizing has been done in many screens both in 8.0 and 8.03 but 8.03 will probably take the lead in performance.

3. New sites seem to be fairing much better than sites converting from 6.1 with lots of data. Both in terms of speed as well as avoiding data conversion issues. Most people I spoke to felt it was now stable enough at least in the core modules.

4. I attended the V8 Admin workshop on Sunday and it was very helpful. Not only for tips but for just plain reassurance that it is not all that alien compared to 6.1. A few different concepts but basic admin is not all that different. I had not known the MFGWRKxx folders are all in one folder tree on the server with seperate sub-folders for each user. Support has a VB script to clean these folders.

5. Many 8.0 sites I spoke to are very eager for getting to 8.03 and apparently feel it is as ready as 8.0.

6. I took a number of labs and, personally, I expect that a lot of thought will need to be put into screen customizations and that the dashboard query capabilities are going to replace at least half my Report Builder reports. Very powerful stuff. The ability to query out to XML and feed a Crystal report located on Vantage menu tree will virtually eliminate ODBC.

7. Heard something about 8.03 having "Quick Searches" where you can marry a query with a search and add to screen to allow special filtered searches in file browsers (like part or customer). Could be a real time saver and/or performance booster.

8. General Perspectives Observations:
A) Very well attended and the ratio of orange (Vantage) tables at lunch to other colors was very high
B) The Jay Leno dinner went very well and (again IMHO) he is a lot funnier in person than on TV
C) As much as I like Las Vegas going to Orlando next year might be a nice change of pace
D) Curious about new module (someday) called Epicor Information Worker - using Office 2007 & Outlook 2007 with Vantage
E) YahooGroup meet was smaller than expected and the bar was half closed off for a private party so it was a bit crowded. But still nice to meet some group people in person.
F) EUG and Epicor are both setting up on-line forums for user interaction BUT both claim they aren't out to replace YahooGroup

If I think of anything else I'll post more later.

-Todd C.

PS...when I got back the new V8 test server was sitting in my office. Now I will see how much I really learned at Perspectives. ;)

-----Original Message-----
From: vantage@yahoogroups .com [mailto:vantage@yahoogroups .com]On Behalf Of Bob Booth
Sent: Wednesday, November 01, 2006 9:23 AM
To: vantage@yahoogroups .com
Subject: [Vantage] perspectives - feedback

Bob Booth

This was my first time at Perspectives and it surprised me at the range
and depth of good information I came away with.
We run vantage 6.1 with plans to change to 8 in the Spring

+ I learned a number of quick code enhancements for small Progress
programs to do mass data changes (I usually run on test server first)

+ I took the Dashboard /query course on Sunday and it is making me
rethink our transition to ver 8. Like Todd C., the dashboards look like
a better direction to go rather then change our RB reports to Crystal.

+ Yes, the satisfaction with ver 8 seems to have greatly improved. 8.3
sounds much more efficient.

+ Also, I heard at least 5 people explain that moving to 8 is an
opportunity to 'start over' that is enter that data instead of
converting. That is looking more attractive as we have 4,031 inactive
parts and all the junk associated with them.

+ I tried to find the Yahoo User group, Monday at the Seahorse Lounge
and Sunday at Wine-n-cheese. Never saw a sign, sorry to have missed
that.

+ In general it was well worth the effort and I look forward to Orlando
next year.

--------------------------------------------------
Babette Welch
IT Director
Argonics, Inc.
1110 Wright Street
Marquette MI 49855
906.226.9747 ext 235

>> + I tried to find the Yahoo User group, Monday at the Seahorse Lounge
>> and Sunday at Wine-n-cheese. Never saw a sign, sorry to have missed
>> that.

Babette,
I arrived to late for the Sunday meeting, and was a little late (half hour)
to the Wine-n-cheese event and managed also to miss everyone there. In
fact, the half dozen or so users that I did run into reported that they did
not manage to find a group at the wine-n-cheese event either.
I run 6.1 now and was privileged however to meet several yahoo user, one
that was implementing vantage at 8.0x (over this next year) and just joining
this list and one a long standing member of this list that is comfortably
running 3.x. Just shows the wide range of user this list covers, and I only
ran into between a half dozen and dozen yahoo groupies total.
Hope to get a chance to meet you next year. Maybe we can have a better
organized meeting.
It is worth stating that I personally heard on two occasions the mention of
the Yahoo Group from the stage. If not condoning us, at least recognizing
our existence as a resource.
Sorry to have missed everyone I did not get to meet, maybe next year in my
time zone.
Aaron Hoyt
Vantage Plastics
PS. The room upgrade for the late arrival this year was great if only for
one night.