Pilot to Test SQL Database cannot find a Report

I have restored our Pilot SQL database to our Test SQL and everything works perfectly fine but reports. I create a quote and go to print the form and I see the report style we created a while ago, which works in the original Test, but not the restore Pilot/Test environment.

I have re-restored the previous Test environment back to Test, and the report works fine, so I thought to copy the report (copy/paste into a doc, or screenshot) as information so I can create/edit into the Pilot/Test, but I cannot find the report so I can see what is inside of it.

I’m sure there is an easier way to do this but whenever we copy environments I have to open the report in SSRS report designer and change the data source. Your report is still looking at the data source for the environment you copied the report from. You need to change it to the environment you are working in.

1 Like

I am not seeing SSRS Report Designer within Epicor, do you mean microsoft SQL server report builder? Also, then are you getting the RDT from the Test intepub\wwwroot?

for example, in the image, I have the report style highlighted I want to use… where do i find that?

I use this to sync reports up with my dev/pilot databases:

1 Like

Would you know where i could find the report style i have on the pic?

Do you have access to the Report Style app (System Management → Reporting)?

1 Like

yes but I dont see it there

correction, i found this, but the file doesn’t exist…

When you copy a database to a development/pilot, you will still need to migrate the RDLs from one instance to the other. I use the link above to copy/refresh the custom reports.

1 Like

so to be sure, I copy/restore the SQL database like i did before, then i run the SSRS report migration tool?

You only run the migration tool if you have updated any custom reports since the last time you restore the SQL database.

1 Like

well problem is the report doesn’t work when i restore pilot onto test, though it shows it there, when I restore test back onto test it works.

I know there is a manual way (surgery with a sledge hammer) - however, the Solution Workbench will do this for you .

I would guess your pilot or test is not in sync with live. User solution workbench to select report styles and then let the solution workbench prompt you for all the report data defiitions (RDD’s). The solution workbench will automatically update the data sources in your RDL’s.

For the RDL’s you will NOT find those on your server. The only exist inside a database. They are shown in the UI as files and folders - however those are only representations of what is in the ssrs database.

DaveO

1 Like

I think then the best thing would be to get all the reports in sync, as in test all reports will not work when I clone them, uncloned, they are fine. How can I copy the entire reports from one to another?

Epicor has: KB0029144 - SSRS - Moving a custom/modified SSRS RDL from one database to another

the way it mentions is 1 by 1.

Mr. Ignacio: Using Solution manager (Solution Workbench) when you select the report style you can select as many as you want.

I frequently use Solution Workbench to synchronize Live with Pilot.

It is as close to one stop shopping you will get. Just grab ALL of your report styles at one time.

DaveO

1 Like

so do I just do report, export it (or what ever the process is) then do the same for ReportStyle and RptDataDef and that should be good?

I would say just grab the report styles – that will grab all of the “Epicor Modifed” reports.

The other “Elements” Reports, DataDefinitions, etc. are for other kinds of reports. You could grab those as well. But I would limit yourself to including just the Report Styles.

Epicor will prompt you on whether or not to include the RDD’s and it will prompt you asking if you want the SSRS RDL also.

DaveO

1 Like

Thank you, I will give it a try and report back :wink:

so HUGE question. If I do Reports alone, i come across 3 errors when I generate the cab, I never once get asked to Add a Dependency either. Afterwords, for S&S’s i come back in and I do the same for “Report Style” and on every entry I get asked for to add a dependency… Should I approach this different, should I add report style first to the other environment then reports afterwards?